Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • Yes, was part of the reason it felt too easy as Guy's fireball motion special hit hard and didn't deplete your energy bar. Unusual inputs for the genre but it worked.
  • In fairness no-one wants a tricky scrolling beat 'em up if they're ROM hopping though. I know I don't anyway. Wrecking ball difficulty is fine for this sort of thing.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Knights of the Round's one of the best!
  • I just played through that again. It's crap. Managed to dig out my review, was worried I'd given it something ridiculous like a [6]:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Knights of the Round - Switch (45 mins) 

Funny how these scrolling beat 'em ups fare today.  I thought this was absolute bobbins in comparison to Captain Commando.  It's been a long time since I played Double Dragon but I'm convinced that had a wider range of moves than this.  All this seemed to offer was a basic stab-stab-stab attack combo, an ineffective jumping slash and a special that didn't seem worth bothering with as it depleted more of your own energy bar than your opponent's.  If Retro hadn't mentioned the block/parry I wouldn't have known it was there, so perhaps I played the entire game hammering two buttons when three were on offer.  Certainly with my double button approach it never felt like the moveset was wide enough to deal with the bosses in particular, which puts it at a sub-TMNT standard in terms of flagrant coin guzzling - it's deal a hit and get one back stuff in places.  The characters are varied at a glance, but they all felt equally underpowered in battle.  Big chopper Percival is slow but can run (there's no specific running attack though, he just stops and performs a standard attack), I guess rapier Lancelot :eyes: moves a little quicker in general and the fifth character (Arthur, presumably carrying a moist Excalibur) probably deals damage somewhere in the middle.  Meh.   Always liked the look of this but wasn't feeling it at all.  Golden Axe doesn't get nearly as much credit as it deserves in the 80s-into-90s scrolling beat 'em up hack 'n slash field.  Yes, you gradually level up throughout the game here, but only to stay a step or two behind irritating enemies that love hogging the space just beyond outer edges of the screen. [3] My favourite bit was these two chaps in the background, so I'm glad someone's made a gif of them:

tumblr_mn3yscWrao1qd4q8ao1_500.gif
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I credit fed through Knights of the Round with the daughters (supports 3 players). We had a laugh but it was pretty forgettable.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I gave it a 3, but out of 5 back in Oct 2020:

Knights of the Round (Arcade)

Another brainless scrolling beat em up from 1991. Again, there were far better examples of the genre by 1991.

The move set is once again is far to simple, but at least each of the three characters has a unique move. There's also a blocking/parry mechanic, but I struggled to get to grips with it tbh.

Then there's a levelling up system that increases your power and armour, but it's no River City Ransom.

Ultimately another forgettable game like Captain Commando, but mindless fun none the less.

3/5
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I wonder what the SNES version is like compared to the Arcade version.

Obviously it won't look quite as nice but home ports often fixed the coin guzzling difficulty of arcade games.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Just finished Golden Axe III.  Not nearly as bad as its reputation suggests.  It's a bit long for solo play and it's clearly something Sega weren't overly fussed with in terms of spit & polish for mid-'93, but I actually quite liked it.
  • Final Fight 3 - SNES (1hr) 

I'd never played any Final Fight sequels.  I was under the impression they were a bit weak.  In hindsight that's probably just because by the mid-90s the genre was about as fashionable as having holes in your jeans, and multiformat mags refused to rave about them. Admittedly I didn't want to play 2D scrolling beat 'em ups at that point either.  Still, I was surprised how good this is.  It really does manage to feel like an arcade cab at home, and in terms of gameplay surpasses everything on the Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle, imo.  Aside from the big ol' sprites and top drawer audiovisual wallop, one of the first things I noticed was how nippy it is.  I played as Guy (who wrecks, FYI) and he's so quick it felt like the game was running in turbo mode.   It's a breathtakingly easy game on the default difficulty, which is perfect for a whistlestop retro tour really, but it's unusual to find a game where you can stand over downed foes/enemies loitering off-screen and spam attack buttons without the risk of getting hit in return.  Factor in the handy specials that don't drain health and the ease of screen control via throws and it's probably fair to say it puts up the least resistance of any game of its type I've played.  It introduces new enemy types along the way, as all the best games of this type do, but one of the late additions - let's call him Full Kit Wanker Baseball Bloke - just felt like pure fodder, and I don't think any of them got their mitts on my Guy for the whole thing.  You start with five lives, and I still had three by the end of stage 5, so had to deliberately get pummeled just so I could use a continue to try a different character (I went for Haggar, who's quicker than you'd expect too).  I don't usually dabble with difficulty settings on these games, but I assume there are one or two higher than Normal available.  There's an option to play with a CPU ally, which is an unusual/interesting addition, but there slowdown was horrific when I tried to buddy up with Big Mike.  Perhaps this is because he's twice the size of most characters.  I hope the proper two player mode doesn't suffer the same fate, but I assume it does, which would be a shame.  Perhaps @retroking can confirm.  Either way this puts the original Final Fight port into perspective - it looks better, has plenty more characters on screen, gives you five to choose from, lasts a while and allows a second player to join.  It's great fun, and even had multiple routes in some (all?) stages.  I'm not quite sure where I stand on this vs Streets of Rage 3 (obviously it doesn't have to be a competition, but that hasn't stopped me trying to pick a favourite).  I gave that 80% earlier in the year, which feels like less than what I'm leaning to for this, but the disappointment factor was high for that one.  They're pretty much neck and neck in the A-tier of 16-bit scrolling beat 'em ups (along with the excellent Batman Returns), with SOR2 being the only true S Tier entry for me.  I'm not one for consistency, so even though I can't decide if this is better or worse than SOR3 I'm gonna give it 91% if the two player mode works with minimal slowdown, and 86% if it doesn't.

170043-8.gif

Knights of the Round - Switch (35mins) 

Played this in 2020 with retro.  My opinion hasn't changed.  It's just a masher, and not a good one at that.  The bosses pretty much mug you and the block (which I managed to find this time) is useless.  Plus the horses are annoying, because every time I mounted one I was instantly knocked off.  Very much of its time, and its time didn't last long at all.  I wouldn't even want to play this again in co-op, and it was shocking solo.  Looks nice. 43%

tumblr_pd895smg151roqda3o1_540.gifv

112. Golden Axe III - Mega Drive (1hr) 

I waited ages for the MD Collection to hit better than half price on Switch, assuming I'd only dabble with one or two titles, but it's currently one of my top 5 most played games on the console.  It might be missing certain heavyweights but it's a nice package.  All that waiting and I only saved the price of a sandwich, smh. This one comes with a heavyweight name, but it's generally considered to be a weak continuation (or even the death knell for the series).  So weak in fact that it only appeared outside of Japan on the Sega Channel in America, and even then it was two years late.  I was braced for bobbins, but it turns out there are dozens of worse examples of the genre on Sega hardware.  It's a bit budget for a first party game in a post-SOR2 world, dropping the iconic art style of the first two in favour of something that looks a bit like US Gold stole the license and outsourced their vision to Probe Software.  It does play reasonably well though.  The difficulty is toned down, partly thanks to the fact that enemies seem less eager to charge a distant player than before, but partly because there are a couple of extra moves that don't come with a health trade-off - a backward stab and a power attack.  There's also a block, performed in the same way as Knights of the Round (attack then quickly hold back), which is a weird coincidence as I've not seen anything quite like it in a belt scroller before.  Collision detection is a little off, but for the first half hour his was quietly shaping up into somehing better than okay.  It even has multiple routes to choose from (which lead to different endings, apparently). It drags on a bit in sp though, and the flaws did start to draw attention to themselves eventually.  There's a birdman boss who's an absolute prick, and a late enemy type that seems to trump any attack with a spinning lariat whenever it fancies knocking you down.  Certain opponents block your attacks too, and unless I'm mistaken there doesn't seem to be a sure-fire way to break their guard with attacks, and grabbing them on a busy screen can prove tricky.  The magic system is back to the all or nothing approach too, which is a shame, and some of the dragon mounts are about as useful as an axe made of gold.  Gillius isn't playable either, so it automatically loses a point.  Music bobs along but I'm in no danger of humming any of it.  There aren't enough holes to chuck people down.  It's not a classic for sure, but I can't work out how everyone joined the dots all the way down to disaster.   I expect this is well worth playing in co-op tbh (obvious caveat: for fans of the series/genre).  I know it's heralded as a stinker, but my mileage varied.  I reckon if I'd got hold of this in '93 I wouldn't have been entirely disappointed.  I definitely owned and enjoyed worse games. 79%

OrganicFirmHaddock-max-1mb.gif 

Okay that gif makes it look much worse than it is but it's the only one I could find....
  • Golden Axe (MD)

One of my all time favourites of the genre, I don't think it's aged as bad as others seem to but it is rough around the edges. Regardless of that it's responsive has a good move set, multiple beasts to ride in place of weapons and a magic system with varying levels that is streets ahead of calling for police back up.

A classic.

4/5

Golden Axe II (MD)

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. More of the same, but everything is slightly better. More varied levels, more enemy types, an improved throw mechanic and a much better magic system. You can now choose how many magic pots to use by holding the special button instead of being forced to use your max level.

Could definitely be seen as a lazy sequel, especially in light of the improvements Streets of Rage II made over its first entry. It could and should have been better, but I think its the peak of the series on Mega Drive.

4/5

Golden Axe III (MD)

First time playing this and for the most part I have to echo what Moot has already said.

On the positive side they at least done a complete revamp instead of the ultra safe approach of the second game. There's tons of moves in this, right down to Street Fighter esque inputs just as in Final Fight 3. Thing is most of them are useless and you'll find yourself just reverting to the standard moves of the first two games. They also reverted the magic system to that of the first game, and I think the visual effects for them are the worst of the trilogy.

The graphics are odd, the sprites are quite decent to be fair but some of the backgrounds are atrocious. Overall I think they're probably worse than the previous games.

It's OK, there's far better 16-Bit beat 'em ups out there, but more that are worse.

3/5

My reviews
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Good stuff. Really want to play Revenge of Death Adder at some point, it's often referred to as the best one. The first game will probably always be my favourite though, for two players anyway. A natter & batter classic. Also has one
    of the best classic Sega soundtracks.
  • Being on one of the 6 in 1 cartridges Golden Axe used to get a 1 credit run before we moved onto something else on the cart.
    SoR or Sonic normally.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Anyone ever play the Golden Axe versus fighter game that the Saturn got?

The Golden Axe track in Sonic Racing Transformed is a cracker. :)
  • Always fancied it but I don't think I ever saw it for sale even back then.
  • davyK wrote:
    Anyone ever play the Golden Axe versus fighter game that the Saturn got?

The Golden Axe track in Sonic Racing Transformed is a cracker. :)

Was a Saturn game I had when my collection was at its peak. Unfortunately like most ebay purchases in the early 2000s I only played it once to test it worked.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Anyone ever play the Golden Axe versus fighter game that the Saturn got? The Golden Axe track in Sonic Racing Transformed is a cracker. :)
    Was a Saturn game I had when my collection was at its peak. Unfortunately like most ebay purchases in the early 2000s I only played it once to test it worked.

Heh. Echoes of me there. I had a chance to pick it up used but the disappointment of it not being a Saturn version of proper Golden Axe resulted in me leaving it on the shelf.

I've only played a tiny bit of the arcade game and a bit of the MD port and I like the game, or at least the design of it. Never played the sequels though.
  • Thought I'd round off the 16-bit set too:

Golden Axe - Mega Drive (35mins)

I still love it.  Maybe it's because I played as Gillius today and Ax Battler when I played no.2 earlier in the week, but it feels much better than its supposedly superior sequel to me.  It's a nice length considering the limited moveset (adding an extra stage to the super short arcade game), it looks superb for 1989, the music is ace, controls are responsive, dragons are actually useful and there are plenty of holes to walk or lob fools into.  You can punt the thieving blue dwarves off edges on a couple of occasions too - win.  Plus the bald bigman hammer wielders are more GOLDEN AXE than the lizard things they were replaced with in no.II.

Great memories and something I always seem to enjoy when I revisit.  What a port this was.  I might check the MS version out next, just to see the sort of thing I happily put up with as a kid, but it might be best not to.  86%

tumblr_p5kgng4UQ61v4u49oo1_400.gifv
  • Mighty Final Fight NES

A delightful little 8-Bit spin-off/demake of Final Fight released in 1993, which was well into the 16-Bit era.

That's a shame as it means this games footprint was along the shore of an incoming tide, and almost certainly the reason its now one of those games that demands a small fortune in the second hand market.

The graphics have opted for a super deformed art style, which works well and is quite visually impressive for the ageing NES. Unfortunately its single player only, but it's one of the best examples of the genre in that mode for me. Only Batman Returns on SNES and possibly the first Double Dragon on NES spring to mind as being better.

There's five stages to get through with 3 continues, although you can earn more in the games two bonus stages. What sets this apart is the inclusion of a levelling up system, that increases your lifebar, strength and provides additional moves as you progress.

The moveset is quite impressive, and even puts a fair few 16-Bit beat 'em ups I've played recently to shame. All three characters are also present, and they play more uniquely here than in the arcade original.

It's well worth booting up via emulation if your a fan of the series or genre, just don't go remortgaging your house for a physical copy.

3/5

My reviews
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Grabbed two from my Switch watch list in this week's sale. Castle Crashers Remastered and Mayhem Brawler. Was tempted with Final Vendetta but it can wait, £19 is still a bit steep even though I expect I'll enjoy it.

I quite liked Castle Crashers on 360 but didn't love it and don't quite understand all the love. Interested to see if I've changedy mind.

Mayhem Brawler is derivative SOR4 coattails stuff but last year's Xbox demo felt better than I expected and three player appeals for £10.
  • Adventures of Lolo (NES) 

Overhead single-screen puzzle game by HAL Laboratory from 1989.

Unsurprisingly you assume the role of Lolo out to rescue Princess Lala, who has been kidnapped by the evil King Egger, it’s the usual damsel in distress story, not that it needs one but it gives the proceedings a bit if meaning I guess. King Egger has taken the Princess to his Castle which contains 50 rooms made up of 10 floors of 5 each.

In each room you must collect all the hearts which then opens a treasure chest to collect a gem that opens the exit to the next room/floor. Each room contains several types of obstacles and enemy types. You can move blocks to trap enemies and shield yourself from their attacks, or you can even turn certain enemies into an eggs by shooting them making them movable objects. Examples of this are using the egg to shield yourself or to use it as a makeshift raft of water. There are other abilities to gain, such as the ability to smash rocks or build a bridge.

You really need to think strategically, especially after the game eases you in over the first few levels. The aim is mainly to avoid the enemies, they are a part of the puzzle as much as the obstacles rather that to fight.

The levels become very difficult and it can take quite a bit of time to figure out exactly what you're meant to do, and then the right order to execute it. Everything is by the number e.g. if your need to shoot 2 enemies in the level your are given 2 shots. It’s very specific but extremely satisfying once you figure out what to do.

It’s a one hit death game, after which you restart the level. Sounds harsh but the game has infinite continues and a 4 digit password so even back in the day this wouldn’t have been a huge issue. If you mess up a level or want to restart you can do so by pushing the select button at the cost of a life, yes thats right, a suicide button.

I do love these types of puzzle games, Wrecking Crew, Solomon’s Key and much later The Lost Vikings spring to mind. Problem is I'm not very good a them, but I managed to see this one through. Maybe its because of the single screen nature and slow pace to the game, you can really take your time to figure out how to tackle each level.

This is by far the best game of it’s type on the NES, another great game I wish I played as a kid instead of some of the games I was unfortunate enough to fall for on the store shelves.

4/5

My reviews
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Any thoughts on ESWAT?  I think I've only played a stage or two of the MD version. Borrowed the MS version for a while as a kid.
  • Super Smash T.V. (SNES)

An Absolutely amazing port of the arcade classic that blew every other version out of the water in its day.

Still the peak of these overhead single screen shooters for me. The sprites are perfectly sized and detailed, the selection of timed weapon upgrades balances out the difficulty when becoming overwhelmed, and no matter the risk you will always go for those pointless prize bonuses. Multiple routes through levels also adds a bit of replayability to get that optimum route down.

The big let down is the bosses. They're just cheap bullet sponges with little to no tactics involved.

4/5

My reviews
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Played the first level of that on co-op probably about 12 months ago and that was enough. Couldn't get over how long it took to kill that first boss. We knew we were going to struggle with the rest of it. Good while it lasted though.
  • They really do let it down, shows its acrade coin guzzling routes there.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Did you pick up Xeno Crisis in the end, retro?
  • Yeah, in a sale a while back.

You should check it out.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I played it on game pass, was good. Seemed like it might be better suited to co-op though.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Any thoughts on ESWAT?  I think I've only played a stage or two of the MD version. Borrowed the MS version for a while as a kid.
    ESWAT is great until level 3 when it gets nails.
  • I remember playing ESWAT on the MD collection on PS3 in my Trophy hunting days.

It may very well have been level 3 I got to before getting the necessary trophy.

Was OK, bit of a Rolling Thunder/Shinobi mix from what I remember. Quite slow paced and methodical.

It's been a while though so I could be well off there.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    I enjoyed ESwat - it was one of the few games my local corner shop had in their 'rental' section so I rented it reasonably often. Ended up getting to the point I could finish it pretty easily.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!