The B&B Book Review
  • The neighbours keep asking me to read it and go to their book club in the village. Kirstin is a member, which sounds like the setup for a sitcom to me.
  • Heh. I remember that.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Think I only ever watched one episode.
  • Amazing cast in hindsight, but it wasn't at all funny.
  • Yup. I think I watched all of it, waiting for it to get good, and it just never did.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    A Very English Scandal by John Preston tells the tangled tale of the Jeremy Thorpe scandal. It's a great story with a cast of real characters; many firmly in the English eccentric category. Well written and recommended.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Anyone read, S the ship of theseus or something by Dorst?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Is that the one with the TV series? Hugh Grant? Think I enjoyed if so ...
  • Apparently jj abrams came up with an idea about a book within a book and got Dorst to write it. Clearly he hadn't read house of leaves, but it looks Interesting.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    The Folio Society moon book that sold out is now back in stock.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Blood and Iron by Katja Hoyer is a history of the 2nd Reich - from 1871 to 1918.  

Germany is kind of a miracle. It was only united in 1871 in the afterglow of a war with France that was itself due to the machinations of Otto Von Bismarck - who was chancellor. His theory being to use war to unite the different Germanic nations. But holding it all together was a challenge and once he went and the next Kaiser came along who seems to have been a bit of an idiot hell bent on expansion due to jealousy of Britain and France it all fell apart and WW1 finished the Empire off.  The seeds of the Holocaust seem already sown at that point.

A very instructive and easy to read book. Recommended.
  • Got part way through two books recently and had to stop reading them because they were so fucking dire. One turned out to be a YA fantasy novel (not that I've specifically got anything against YA fiction) called Red Queen that was a poor example of the genre whilst the other, Nophek Gloss, was just bad. I had to check that I hadn't accidentally bought a self published book, but no it was just bad. That'll teach me to randomly purchase 99p books.

Abandoned both and started Use Of Weapons, which is better in its first 20 pages than both of those others combined.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I’m reading The Master and Margarita at the moment, as recommended by @davy. It’s quite the thing.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    :)  It's bonkers but in a good way.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    It really is, and that’s okay with me.
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Gengis Khan:Life, Death and Resurrection is a history of the Mongol leader and the cultural impact in his homeland.

What a time to have been alive. Just as the Crusades are petering out this guy comes in marauding from the East with captured Chinese technology including flame throwers and crossbows that fire telegraph pole sized arrows with optional flaming or explosive heads (1000 of which were used to take Baghdad by his grandson after his death).  He got as far as Prussia after which he seemed to get bored and headed home. He was after the grasslands of Hungary and was happy once he grabbed those. His empire spanned from there to the Pacific and it created a sense of order that facilitated travels by the likes of Marco Polo because of his religious tolerance and creation of an administration (though he did slaughter millions of muslims who had the effrontery to fight back instead of just surrendering their cities).

The story is told by the author as he weaves in his experiences in Mongolia searching for his burial site which remains unknown.

Having known nothing on this subject this provides a great summary and overall view of Gengis Khan as a figure who approaches being a deity in China and Mongolia.
  • I listened to the first hour and a half of Terry Pratchett's The Light Fantastic last night. It is really good so far. I tried a few times to get into the Discworld novels but never could, but I'm really enjoying them this time around. The Colour of Magic was great and I'm really enjoying this one, so I think I might be a fan!
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • Jeff Vandermeer thinks cats should be kept indoors and now I don't like him as much as I did.

This has been an update on What Authors Tiger Likes.

Thank you.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    XOMuggins wrote:
    I listened to the first hour and a half of Terry Pratchett's The Light Fantastic last night. It is really good so far. I tried a few times to get into the Discworld novels but never could, but I'm really enjoying them this time around. The Colour of Magic was great and I'm really enjoying this one, so I think I might be a fan!

Have only read Mort because I like the idea of the story. Enjoyed it but I'm wary of investing in large scale universe book collections.
  • I had the full collection, just by having picked them up one by one on release. During a house move I gave the whole lot to a charity shop and downloaded a Kindle set from the high seas. No regrets really, I got rid of a lot of books, not just the Pratchett stuff … but now that I have a bigger house there sure a lot of empty bookshelves here.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I read the first six or seven Pratchett books back in the eighties and early nineties (I even wrote to Pratchett about Mort :) ) and really enjoyed them. I watched the first Pratchett adaptation when it came out (did it have David Jason in it?) and thought it was just awful.
    Get schwifty.
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    Pratchett really came into his stride after about book 4 IMO - the first few are good, but I feel like he really found his style by the time Mort came out. I will always recommend his books to anyone, not just fans of fantasy because they are as much social commentary as they are fantasy a lot of the time.
  • Mort is the best! I’ve only read about a dozen of the Discworld series though.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Guards! Guards! Would be my pick but you need to read the early books imo to get the references and some of the repeated humour.
  • I think Night Watch is the masterpiece of the lot, but it does take some prior appreciation of the setting and tone for it to really hit home.
  • T'was the game that got me onto Pratchett.
  • Small Gods, or Lords and Ladies would be my top Pratchett picks.
    Can-of-sprite
  • Mort was my first, and it’s definitely up there with my faves. Not sure I could pick one out though. I’m looking forward to reading The Wee Free Men to my kids.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Mort has reminded me of The Book Thief.  A splendid book.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!