The B&B Book Review
  • Jacob?!  Seriously?!

Thank God it was only 99p. 

Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    RasDam said:

What exactly were you trying to do with that highlighter?

Nothing. I've got no idea what's going on there; or in general.
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
  • Has anyone read the Wheel of Time books?

I'm on book 5 or 6, and there seems to be a big dip (similar to the reported Game of Thrones dip no doubt).  I'm hoping to soldier through, but need reassurance that things pick up!

Also enjoying finding out where every phrase you ever heard comes from in The Etymologicon, the fella's blog is a decent read also, http://blog.inkyfool.com
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I would provide reassurance, but I couldn't get past book 4!  Up until then, I was really enjoying them.
  • Yeah I read up to book 8 or 9 or something and then gave up.....and then he died. 

Definite lack of focus creeps in around the 6th book

PSN: Shinji-_-Ikari
    Twitter: @YouDidItAll4Me
  • Although Brandon Sanderson (the guy who took over) is meant to be really good.  His own work at least is quite well regarded.
  • The new books seem to have been pretty well received.

Sanderson did a short Infinity Blade tie-in, not sure if it's any good though.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Reading the Fools Fate by Robin Hobb , the last of The Tawny Man trilogy , which was preceded by the The Farseer Trilogy .

I really enjoyed them until the second of the Tawny Man trilogy , were i got bored in the end . This one has started well - so fingers crossed for the last book .

For the chaps who read Fantasy , can you recommend any books or authors ? I've read a few but welcome to read others

Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Kernowgaz said:

Reading the Fools Fate by Robin Hobb , the last of The Tawny Man trilogy , which was preceded by the The Farseer Trilogy .

I really enjoyed them until the second of the Tawny Man trilogy , were i got bored in the end . This one has started well - so fingers crossed for the last book .

For the chaps who read Fantasy , can you recommend any books or authors ? I've read a few but welcome to read others

I really enjoyed Hobb's first series when I was a teenager. How would you say they progressed with the other series? Does one need knowledge to enjoy?
  • Joe Abercrombie is absoloutely brilliant, specifically his 'First Law' trilogy.  Very nasty and violent, but also darkly hilarious. 

I read a book called 'Prince of Thorns' recently which was a nice change of pace for a fantasy book.  It was rather short, action packed and quite thrilling.  It was quite a rough book, in content and tone, but I enjoyed it. 

Otherwise I'm in a similar boat, I'm working through the Farseer Trilogy, otherwise I'm on the lookout for other books. 

• A novelist I recently met suggested I read Juliet E. McKenna's Aldabreshin Compass series, which is currently 4 books in. I've not read any of them yet to form my own opinion. It's been awhile since I read a work of fiction by a lady.
    GT: RasDam Twitter: @RasDam
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I've read book 12 of the Wheel of Time, gonna read the 13th some time this year before 14 comes out early 2013. It does pick up, but if you're flagging at book 5/6... I think 8 and 10 are the only ones that are particularly disliked. They should have been merged with other books possibly. I must have a lot of patience because none of them bothered me particularly, to be honest.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • ...otherwise I'm on the lookout for other books. 

Erikson, if you haven't already. The Malazan Book of the Fallen really is something else.
  • Joe Abercrombie is absoloutely brilliant, specifically his 'First Law' trilogy.  Very nasty and violent, but also darkly hilarious. 

Started The Blade Itself and it's grabbed me. Looking forward to the weekend so I can put some decent hours into it
    PSN: Shinji-_-Ikari
    Twitter: @YouDidItAll4Me
  • Oh I remember you mentioning that before.  I definately need to just give it a go. 

Is it consistently good throughout the series?

• I have The Blade Itself on audio book and it's fantastic. The guy narrating is probably the best narrator I've ever heard next to Tony Robinson. 
  • Shinji said:

Started The Blade Itself and it's grabbed me. Looking forward to the weekend so I can put some decent hours into it

Same thing happened to me, some of the best characters I've ever read.  The great thing is that the trilogy just gets better and better.
  • Oh I remember you mentioning that before.  I definately need to just give it a go. 

Is it consistently good throughout the series?

Yup, kinda spoilt me for everything else though...
  • Wow, that good? 

My only concern is that I've also heard its quite complex and heavy-going...Is that only at first?

• Ahh, no. It's without doubt the most complex fantasy work I've ever read, and it just gets more so. I loved that, but some (lesser) people had problems with the way you're just thrown in to the middle of this story, and are expected to pick it all up on the way. 
  • I loved the subtle mention of 'lesser' people.  Now I feel like I have to read it to prove myself!

Complex sounds good to me, will start this soon.  Cheers stormy.

• google said:

Kernowgaz said:

Reading the Fools Fate by Robin Hobb , the last of The Tawny Man trilogy , which was preceded by the The Farseer Trilogy .

I really enjoyed Hobb's first series when I was a teenager. How would you say they progressed with the other series? Does one need knowledge to enjoy?

It's basically a six book series as they carry on from one another . There are other books based in the same world as well - Rain Wild books and Liveship trader trilogy
  • Wow, that good? 

My only concern is that I've also heard its quite complex and heavy-going...Is that only at first?

See, I'd say it's very, very easy to get into. Characters are introduced without much fanfare and you're never really aware of who is a 'main character' or not until at least 10-15 hours. It's like GoT in that sense. 

It also has a lot of good humour.

• I loved the subtle mention of 'lesser' people.  Now I feel like I have to read it to prove myself!

Complex sounds good to me, will start this soon.  Cheers stormy.

Ok, after all the gushing, I must admit that I struggled at first. It's just so unlike anything else out there, I wasn't sure who I was supposed to be rooting for and a lot of the terminology had me confused as hell. Once (or indeed,if) it all clicks however, you'll discover a world so rich in history and full of fresh ideas that it will be impossible to get out of your head.
  • I'd also recommend the two books by Patrick Routhfuss ( The name of the wind and The wise mans fear ) , Scott Lynch ( Gentleman bastard series ) , I'd also recommend joe Abercrombie books ( The first law trilogy ) and Peter V Brett's Painted Man books
  • Kernowgaz said:

google said:

Kernowgaz said:

It's basically a six book series as they carry on from one another . There are other books based in the same world as well - Rain Wild books and Liveship trader trilogy

Haha. I'm aware how book series work.

I was simply asking if you think they're any good when compared to the first three books she wrote.
  • Sorry , yeah they're good
  • google said:

See, I'd say it's very, very easy to get into. Characters are introduced without much fanfare and you're never really aware of who is a 'main character' or not until at least 10-15 hours. It's like GoT in that sense. 

I wish I'd been able to get into it that easily. I think the main problem was that up until then I'd just read run of the mill pulp fantasy, and Gardens of the Moon was such a change from those books it threw me a bit. 

Having said that, I did get into it, and the series as a whole remains the pinnacle of fantasy literature imho. And yeah, the sense of humour is great.
  • Been on a full le Carré audiobook bender for weeks. That Michael Jayston reads gud.
  • google said:

It also has a lot of good humour.

I wish I'd been able to get into it that easily. I think the main problem was that up until then I'd just read run of the mill pulp fantasy, and Gardens of the Moon was such a change from those books it threw me a bit. 

Having said that, I did get into it, and the series as a whole remains the pinnacle of fantasy literature imho. And yeah, the sense of humour is great.

It does jump all over the place, but you soon get an understanding for who's who in the world and where they fit in politically. 

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!