The B&B Book Review
  • So what're people's favourite (M) Banks books? I think mine's Against A Dark Background, although I've only read a few. Consider Phlebas is on my pile.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Consider Phlebas is the only one I've read so far.  I absolutely loved it.  I do intend to carry on the Culture series.  Its just a matter of finding the time.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    They're all fantastic imho but Use of Weapons probably tops the bill for me; Consider Phlebas is indeed a joy to read. I would say that the most Culture-y is Excession which is also fucking brilliant. I dread to think how many times I've read it.

The Algebraist is one of my faves of his; not Culture but brilliant. Surface Detail is cracking.

In case my gushing hasn't indicated, the man can't put a foot wrong as far as I'm concerned.
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
  • Have read Use of Weapons and Algebraist.  Enjoyed both immensely, but found the algebraist seemed to lose it's way a bit (or maybe that was me).

Is Excession the one that's essentially two stories in one?
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    The Algebraist isn't really like any of his other SciFi; it certainly has a very different flavour to any of the Culture stuff.

Excession is very much two stories in one for the most part but they are intertwined. I don't think I'm giving any terrible spoilers when I say it's a fucked up love story combined with the hardest SciFi he's written smashed together at the last.

In fact, whilst typing that I've changed my mind. Excession is my favorite.
  • Interesting. I've read excession, but was about 15 at the time, might revisit it at some point, may have been too young to fully appreciate it.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    It's not exactly deep and meaningful but there's a very dark edge to the love story.

When it comes to SciFi I'm often a man of simple pleasures; there's a lot of pulp on my shelves. Much of Excession will satisfy such a reader whilst it simultaneously ensures that you have your brain in gear.

The wider plot is one of drama and popcorn page turning. I'd love to see a huge budget, cutting edge CGI movie of it. Ridley Scott pls.

• I want to read Use of Weapons next.  My aim is to read them in order of them being published.  Is it really that good as I have heard its good?
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    metagonzo said:

Excession is very much two stories in one for the most part but they are intertwined. I don't think I'm giving any terrible spoilers when I say it's a fucked up love story combined with the hardest SciFi he's written smashed together at the last.

In fact, whilst typing that I've changed my mind. Excession is my favorite.

Pretty sure I've read Excession, and Player of games, but I can't really remember the love story part of Excession. Can you help my memory with a spoilered bit of text?

Need to get back to the Culture novels, after I've finished Gaiman.

And the Algebraist isn't a Culture one? It has the same cover layout here as all the other Culture novels, all the regular Banks books are designed very differently.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    Cupboard: It's a damn fine read; you won't be disappointed.

Nina: All my formatting buttons have disappeared for some reason and I don't know how to code a spoiler. Let me say this; if you don't recall the shit that goes down before and after regarding The Sleeper Service then it really is time for a re-read. That's as ambiguous as I can be without an actual spoiler.

Edit: The Algebraist isn't Culture. When he uses the M in the middle of his name he's in SciFi mode. When he's not, he's not (The Crow Road, Wasp Factory etc.)
    The exceptions to that rule would be some of the shorts collected in State of the Art.... but not all.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Hm, I can't remember, and it hasn't been over a year that I've read that one... There are at least 5 other Banks books in this house, might read those first before going back to Excession. Remember Player of Games quite clear,

And The Algebraist is the only Banks one Bas lend to someone (and can't remember to whom), so I can't check his name on the cover. Bas confirms it's just a sci fi book, no Culture. Need to buy that one again, I want to complete the rainbow that's on top of all the sides of the books.
  • Currently reading "The Thought Gang" by Tibor Fischer having read "Under the Frog", also by him.

Can't recommend the latter enough.  Basically set in Hungary (Budapest mainly) between the end of WWII and the 1956 "Revolution" and the direct aftermath, following the travails of a mediocre Soviet Basketball team.  It's the funniest (given the subject matter this is the darkest kind of humour) book I've read since Catch 22, which incidentally this owes a great deal to.

If you like the likes of J Heller's novels  or have any passing interest in Central Europe behind the iron curtain take a look at this...I've become something of a rabid promoter of this book, that's how impressive it was.

Reading the aforementioned Thought Gang, but it hasn't yet reached the heights of Under the Frog.

5 Palinkas out of 5.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Ooh, I read Under the Frog a long time ago and enjoyed it very much. Then I forgot all about Fisher until right now.
  • Matter is a cracking M Banks.

Nearly done with Pinkers better angels. It's awesome.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    Nina said:

And The Algebraist is the only Banks one Bas lend to someone (and can't remember to whom), so I can't check his name on the cover. Bas confirms it's just a sci fi book, no Culture. Need to buy that one again, I want to complete the rainbow that's on top of all the sides of the books.

Definitely an M.

• Petey
    Show networks
    Twitter
    peterhughesdev
    PSN
    windupharlequin
    Steam
    windupharlequin

Send message
    Excession was the latest one of his that I've read, and probably my favourite. Before that was Feersum Endjinn - which I actually really liked, despite being slightly put-off initially by the writing style of every other chapter.
    The janitor.
  • I've only read Phlebas, he has released a daunting amount. Plus I like him as just plain Banks too.
  • Petey
    Show networks
    Twitter
    peterhughesdev
    PSN
    windupharlequin
    Steam
    windupharlequin

Send message
    Steep Approach to Garbadale was good, and The Wasp Factory is just plain awesome.
    The janitor.
  • Yeah, I love The Was Factory. I've got my eye on The Bridge when I've finished the massive stack which is serving no purpose other than pushing Joyce's Ulysses as far back as possible.
  • My copy of Ulysses is about 13 years old. I SWEAR I'LL READ IT SOMEDAY!
  • Tempy said:

Yeah, I love The Was Factory. I've got my eye on The Bridge when I've finished the massive stack which is serving no purpose other than pushing Joyce's Ulysses as far back as possible.

Love The Bridge. Been meaning to read it again as there's no way I got everything first time round
    PSN: Shinji-_-Ikari
    Twitter: @YouDidItAll4Me
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    The Crow Road had an explosive start, quite a straightforward story for a Banks. I loved the first person bits in Complicity, very creepy. But his M stuff is my preference, I like the reoccuring theme of The Culture getting involved in erm other cultures, purely because their utopian civilization is boring as fuck. Player of Games is my favorite, but I reread them all once in a while.
    Things can only get better.
  • My copy of Ulysses is about 13 years old. I SWEAR I'LL READ IT SOMEDAY!

Just give Dublin a good once over on Google Streetview. Oh, and masturbate.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Started reading A Game of Thrones a few days ago. Enjoying it, it iz good. Maps are a bit of a concern though - I'm reading it on my Kindle cos I bought the book ages ago when it was the Kindle Daily Deal. You can't flip to 'em in the same way as you can with a book. Might read the rest in paperback.<br>
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I was right about that le Carré.
  • @EvilRedEye: I've had a similar problem with fantasy books on my Kindle. I really missed not being able to have a quick glance at the map to get my bearings. You can go:
    Menu - Go to - Map (or something near it) and then sync to last page read. But it is a hassle.
    At least you don't have to lug the book around with you...
  • Finished Better Angels. . .

Pretty amazing really. And the last few chapters where he brings it all together are just so clear and on the money.

just started on V. Wish me luck.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Today's Kindle Daily Deal sounds worse than death:

The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance
    Whether it's a mythical beast, a magical creature, an angel or a heart-stoppingly handsome ghost, get ready to fall in love with someone out of this world. Sherrilyn Kenyon, Jeaniene Frost, Kelley Armstrong, Maria V Snyder, Allyson James Marland and more create stories of extraordinary desires and show you powers beyond your wildest imaginings.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • @Evil: What do you mean?! It sounds brilliant. One reader review described as scary, interesting and erotic!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!