The B&B Book Review
  • Only started the prologue of 'Deadhouse Gates' and it already seems to be dealing with some pretty serious repercussions from the first books. I love the fact that I can just read the whole series, I don't have to wait for the author to finish the books.

Would you say the whole series is good or are there some duff entries?
    Is there not another series by another guy but set in the same world?
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Certain book are slower paced than others, but I can genuinely say I loved them all. 

The other guy is Ian C. Esselmont, co-creator of the Malazan world. His books are less complex than Erikson's, and have received mixed reviews. 

His first, Night of Knives is a prequel to The Malazan Book of the Fallen and is a pretty dire effort. It may be worth reading for completions sake, but don't expect much. 

Return of the Crimson Guard, his second book, takes place after The Bonehunters, Erikson's sixth. It deals with events on Quon Tali that drastically effect the future of the Malazan empire, and is essential reading imo (slot it into the main series if you can). It has it's problems (it can be very slow in places), but there are some great characters and truly epic battle sequences, and overall I enjoyed it.

His third, Stonewielder is my next read, I'm looking forward to it.
  • Finished Catch 22 today. I must admit I found it a bit of a slog to begin with but after about 100 pages it started to click. Loved it in the end.

Next up will be the third Hunger Games book, looking forward to a decidedly breezier read.
  • Almost done with Nixonland. I wish I could have the confidence that how practically cartoonish the narrative veers is fully trustworthy. I mean McGovern comes out looking an utter fucking saint, I don't really need any encouragement to think well of a US politician willing to go all:

Ilckz.jpg
  • Reading
     His Dark Materials Trilogy by Philip Pullman. - I know - but I really like it.

The Facebook Effect - Kirkpatrick - Good read. 

The B&B forum - Everyone. - Messy with some character development - its very Bad Dudes VS Dragon Ninja..
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Scout wrote:
    Finished Catch 22 today. I must admit I found it a bit of a slog to begin with but after about 100 pages it started to click. Loved it in the end.
    Yes, it's unrelentingly cynical to begin with - lacking any hope whatsoever. Thankfully it gets beyond that and is well worth it in the end.
  • It is a lovely book, full of incredibly sharp humour especially when it comes to conversations.

I finished How to be a Woman, it was a lot of fun.

I am currently reading Italo Calvino's If On A Winter's Night A Traveller which is rather mental.
  • Nothing wrong with reading Pullman - teen fiction it may be but it's superbly written - unlike those Potter books which all the other adults have been reading in past decade or so.
  • Pullman's stuff has always sounded decent enough. Never got around to it, and I feel like I owe it to myself to make up for reading 6 Potter books, although I am young enough to say that I got hooked as a kid, and grew out of it in the end.
  • Dark materials is a grand trilogy. Also read a couple of other Pullman books, they seemed very solidly written. Enjoyable stuff that puts one in mind of Conan-Doyle.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I love his pantheism themes in the trilogy. They are better than potter and deserved a better film.
    I've read it 4 times now. Just starting again.
    worth some of your time tempy
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • I just spent a couple of weeks going through 'Clockwork' by Phillip Pullman. It's an absolutely brilliant book and they loved it. I would recommend it as an easy read for adults (it can be read in a few hours) and certainly for younger readers. Quite dark/violent/complex.

Edit: That should say I went through it with my class! Every literacy lesson was based around it.
  • Massively excited for The Unholy Consult, the conclusion to R. Scott Bakker's second trilogy which is out soon. I Iove Erikson, GRRM and Abercrombie in varying degrees but Bakker's stuff is the best fantasy I've ever read.

I hated Stonewielder and have yet to read a decent Malaz book by Esslemont. Probably not even gonna bother with Orb.
  • JonB wrote:
    Scout wrote:
    Finished Catch 22 today. I must admit I found it a bit of a slog to begin with but after about 100 pages it started to click. Loved it in the end.
    Yes, it's unrelentingly cynical to begin with - lacking any hope whatsoever. Thankfully it gets beyond that and is well worth it in the end.
    Yeah I'm really glad I stuck with it (not that I was considering otherwise). Didn't help that I've got a mate who's a big fan and kept asking me how hilarious I was finding it. Was interesting reading a bunch of user reviews on a book website and seeing the amount of people that simply gave up. I can understand that to an extent but what a shame. Such a rewarding read. I'm not much one for re-reading books but I can really see Catch 22 becoming more and more brilliant with every revisit.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Pullman's stuff has always sounded decent enough. Never got around to it, and I feel like I owe it to myself to make up for reading 6 Potter books, although I am young enough to say that I got hooked as a kid, and grew out of it in the end.
    Not sure anyone should feel off for reading HP if they started with them as a youngster. Maybe the prose isn't up to much once you're a bit older and can detect such things, but Rowling did a decent enough job with the world fiction. Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy is superb and well worth a read.

I hate book snobbery. Fuck you, snobbists. Let people read what they want to read and don't judge them for it. 

Railsea continues to be a delight. Life of Pi next, then
  • Am reading Salem's Lot. It's a bit entertaining but some of King's sentences & turns of phrase are more tortured than his characters in the books where torture is involved!
    I'm a Sasquatch man and I'm watching you.
  • Anybody read any Jim Thompson? He wrote The Killer Inside Me, After Dark My Sweet, and The Grifters. He looks like he might be fun.
  • I read a few a long time ago, thought they were OK, but his prose didn't really do much for me. I'd imagine that the bleakness was a revelation at the time.
  • Finished The Blade Itself and The Devotion of Suspect X.
    Blade Itself was consistently great, just took me bloody ages to get through so I'm taking a breather before the next 

The Devotion was a nice little surprise. Saw it in HMV and took a punt, quite a tidy little murder mystery.
    PSN: Shinji-_-Ikari
    Twitter: @YouDidItAll4Me
  • Right, I'm gonna read The Blade Itself instead of Stonewielder. I trust Shinji's judgement. And Esselmont's a bit crap.
  • China Mieville - I read Embassytown and thought it was really very good, interesting other-worldy scifi that does a great job of conveying alien-ness with a well-paced plot.

Off the back of that just finished The City and The City which was okay, was expecting more sci-fi type stuff but it's more "New Weird" apparently - alternate reality-ish Columbo police investigation type thing, really slow to start, ramps up quite well later on but way too late and the lynchpin idea is retarded. Embassytown was much, much better.
  • I loved City and the City. Such a ridiculous idea made so believable, didn't really have a problem with any of it. After the first chapter I was sold.

But I will read Embassytown next, that's a strong recommendation.

Hope you enjoy The Blade Itself Stormy. The setting's fairly standard but the characters are fantastic
    PSN: Shinji-_-Ikari
    Twitter: @YouDidItAll4Me
  • It was, I dunno, it was okay I guess, the characters were quite well realised and the dialogue believable skatty and that, the invetigative stuff and plot ticked along but just wasn't as engaging as Embassytown, which I thought was much better paced as well. Was never really sold on TCaTC's central conceit.
  • I just finished Railsea. I thought it was superb and actually preferred it to Embassytown overall. The world and story were both wonderful and despite being labelled as a YA book, there's an awful lot to like here for adults. I'd say it's more YA in theme than in prose.

Heartily recommended.

Next up is Life of Pi, I think.
  • Oh cool - I might give Railsea a shot then. Ta
  • It's a very different book to Embassytown, with a lot more action and a host of monstrous beasts that Mieville seems to thrive writing about. I loved it, particularly the second half, but it won't be for everyone. 

There are a lot of trains.
  • I_R wrote:
    I read a few a long time ago, thought they were OK, but his prose didn't really do much for me. I'd imagine that the bleakness was a revelation at the time.
    Yeah I heard Stanley Kubrick rave about him, I think because of how dark they were. Might give him a try soon.

I ordered some books from Amazon the other day.

La Brava by Elmore Leonard, about some fellow who falls in love with a film noir actress from the 50s. I loved Rum Punch, and City Primeval. He has a sharp, quick style that doesn't require the commitment that a lot of Ellroy does. Won the Edgar award, so should be good.

Three by James Ellroy: My Dark Places, The Hilliker Curse and The Best American Noir of the Century collection that he edited. Looking forward to reading My Dark Places in particular. I saw the documentary he made around the time, and am aware of the story, but I reckon that it will become even more apparent how every woman in every book is his mother.

Two by Charles Bukowski: Post Office and Factotum. From the little bits of his I have read, and the films of his I have seen, I'm pretty sure I'm going to love these. Haven't been this excited about getting into a writer since Hunter Thompson. (Not just cause of the booze thing.)

And the other Penguin Modern Classics collection of Raymond Chandler, The Lady in the Lake and other novels.
  • I put this in the hobby thread too, but if anyone is interested in reading my first attempt at a short story (fantasy genre) then here is a link:

https://sites.google.com/site/thewandereseries/

Any feedback is welcome if anyone reads it. No pressure though, I don't mind if no one reads it.
  • I'm having a beer and reading it now.
  • (The Hilliker Curse and the Raymond Chandler collection arrived today.)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!