b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    ZMM wrote:
    imagine having to clean bird crap off or risk running out of juice

• He meant bird as in the colloquial form for women. It’s their form of revenge against him.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    The limited edition "Highlands" version comes equipped with a wind turbine.

Because we can't get Cinty's much cheaper bagpipes edition.
  • This is really nice, but will never ever go on sale. Porsche have built some EV Cayman GT4s, just as test mules to develop the electric powertrain for their upcoming EV racer (the Mission R). That EV racer will eventually morph into the replacement for the 911. But, in the meantime … who wouldn’t want an electric Cayman? Strip the graphic wraps off and tone down the aero, and these would be stunners as road cars.

0C8n9Ep.jpg
    8PXo6Hr.jpg

It’s not as simple as just sticking the new electric powertrain into the existing Cayman chassis. To make them realistic testbeds for the Mission R, they’ve had to rework everything to get these Caymans to be the same wheelbase, ride height, etc, etc. They’re a totally different size and different proportions to a regular road going Cayman. These things are one-offs with custom natural fibre bodyshells (lighter/stronger than carbon fibre, made from recycled materials).
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    It might, the project lead was saying that it could become another one make series to run alongside the Carrera cup
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard wrote:
    It might, the project lead was saying that it could become another one make series to run alongside the Carrera cup

No, that’s the Mission R he’s talking about. The thing these are testbeds for. The Mission R will get a proper commercial name eventually and that’s definitely going to be launched into a one-make series to run alongside and eventually replace the Carrera Cup.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Definite unsafe release on the top pic Pop
  • The next cayman is already confirmed to be an EV only
    PSN - minkymu
  • Porsche's EV tech seems to be really, really good. Know they worked with XPeng on their P7s. Thought Porsche were going to be focussed on their in-house PPE platform which they share with some Audis (which seems super nice) but don't see it mentioned in the Mission R media kit stuff, so I assume they'll have 2 EV platforms, with this new one being used as a base for racers, unless they just omitted specific mention of PPE for now. 

Either way, I have faith in Porsche to make great EVs.
  • Porsche have committed to more than 80% of their commercial output being EVs by 2030.
  • Xpeng P5 pre-orders now open in the EU, since March, in 4 countries - Denmark, The Netherlands, Sweden and Norway with more coming soon. Price converts to about 40k GBP, before subsidises, which puts it squarely below Model 3 territory. Unfortunately, they're only rolling out with a slightly older version of their Driver Assist tech and no lidar. Seems to have all the voice control tech, though, which is nice, and should still have the self parking and various little features. Will be interesting to see how it does as they've been quite aggressive in parts of Europe.

They're also clearly leaning on their in-house smart tech, above everything else, to sell the car. And that makes sense - a good 40%+ of their staff work in R&D and software development and their tech is the best i've seen.

Shame to see that price point, tbf - that's a good 10-15k more than it sells for domestically (still cheaper and better than the Tesla though, lol). Will be curious to see how it is received.
  • poprock wrote:
    Porsche have committed to more than 80% of their commercial output being EVs by 2030.

That's great news. Need more of that.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Pretty sure Tesla are removing Lidar from their later models and betting on AI plus the normal cameras so spec for spec it is ok there. Be interested to know whether these cars are going the typical base model = shit add options route like Kia and Hyundai. One of the main reasons I discounted the Ionic 5. To spec it like the review models you were priced similar to a Model 3 long range.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Pretty sure Tesla are removing Lidar from their later models and betting on AI plus the normal cameras so spec for spec it is ok there. Be interested to know whether these cars are going the typical base model = shit add options route like Kia and Hyundai. One of the main reasons I discounted the Ionic 5. To spec it like the review models you were priced similar to a Model 3 long range.

There's very little customisation available on the P5 at launch in Europe - that price is the price. They're launching with one battery size (the mid-range version), 3 colours and a couple of other small things, but nothing that's going to alter the price dramatically.  

Xpeng are committed to Lidar, and I think them omitting it this time is more to do with their 3.5 OS not being ready for non-China markets. Ditching Lidar, like Tesla, is deffo cheaper, but it's also less accurate and less safe (especially for other drivers and pedestrians).

Tesla have never used Lidar, afaik, and that's to do with price. The units are about a grand each, and something like the P5 uses 2 of them.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Ahh thought the early models had it and they dropped it. Looks like they never did, though may be toying with the idea.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Ahh thought the early models had it and they dropped it. Looks like they never did, though may be toying with the idea.

They used radar, which they dropped - assume you were thinking of that.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Knew there was dar in there somewhere.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    I did notice there’s no mention of the gobsmackingly vast sovereign wealth fund of Norway built and continually growing off fossil fuels in that piece…did that have any effect in the progression/access to huge funds required for electrification?

I’ve no idea personally but mention Norway and that’s what always spring to mind.
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • isanbard wrote:
    I did notice there’s no mention of the gobsmackingly vast sovereign wealth fund of Norway built and continually growing off fossil fuels in that piece…did that have any effect in the progression/access to huge funds required for electrification? I’ve no idea personally but mention Norway and that’s what always spring to mind.

That's the kicker, isn't it?

Many of these initiatives are delivered at a local level, but local councils were reimbursed for offering these subsidies by the central gov. It wasn't a case of local councils being told to do sth, and then having to find the money out of their own pocket.

So yes, Norway absolutely has a huge advantage here - they can export a shit ton of oil, and then pour that money back into their lovey dovey, quiet green environment. 

I would argue that there is still a lot we could imitate and learn from there, though. For example, demanding all new builds and parking areas have the infrastructure in-place day one to accept EV charging, even if there is no EV charger in place, coupled with the Right to Charge law where tenants have a right to install EV charging capabilities if they wish. The UK could do that - it might piss of landlords but...fuck 'em, there's no reason not to allow that other than "I own the place" shithousery.

I'd also argue that selected EV-only parking lots in city centre locations and an extension of the charge point installation grant scheme are also do-able without breaking the bank. 

I'd also look to, personally, readjust the subsidies on offer so that the breaks on offer for cars over 25k are lower while, say, sub 13k cars get a larger cut, to try and deal with the issue of EVs pricing people out at the lower end. Sure there's feasibility issues there but people like 'Scape have a point when it seems that EVs in the EU still struggle to offer decent options at lower price points.
  • So yes, Norway absolutely has a huge advantage here - no doubt. I'd still say that the central point of needing a clear government will to make it happen it essential. The ending of grants already when we're still at the beginning seems like a mistake to me. And there's economic benefits and opportunities to getting on this early, as well.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    You know how I bang on about affordable ebikes with a bit of pop... Their Atom Military's £3,450 in Ukraine:

Workmanlike build, obviously, but if our BOAT laws weren't so tight and I could buy one, I'd definitely want to.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    Apparently Smart's new car, the #1, isn't pronounced "number 1", but "hashtag 1". I taste vomit. Anyone else taste vomit?

Fully charged just had a look at this:

Turns out it's now a Mercedes / Geely collab, which is real nice. Geely's EV knowledge is top-notch and they've already done a whole bunch with Volvo, as well as start up their Lynk and Co, and Zeekr EV lines. 

A little annoyed that it's being positioned as "premium" but...otherwise it seems alright.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    It was only recently, while comparing 50cc and ebikes, that my brain made the jump to derestriction. Used to be simple and everyone I knew did it.

It's also an easy mod, turns out, and you can get 45+ out of a lot of these 30-limited ones.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:

They used radar, which they dropped - assume you were thinking of that.

Read something recently about a Tesla application for an improved radar…

b0r1s, how much longer till you get your Model 3?

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It’s reserved until mid August but if I can convince work to do salary sacrifice I can get a Y for a lot less money.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Bright coloured cars actually depreciate less than conservative colours.
    Jalopnik wrote:
    As it turns out, that common knowledge may be a common misconception. A new study from iSeeCars ranked the average three-year depreciation on cars by color, and the insights are certainly interesting: Black, gray, white, and silver were all in the bottom half, with some of the most depreciation of the bunch.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    That's kind of obvious if you think about it. Scarcity is a very important factor in the value of an item. The boring grey, black and whites are so common it's not surprising that they lose value faster than rarer colours (which also often come at a premium for the initial buyer).
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    It's not that clear cut, but yeah, buy the colour you want, not the one you think will get you an extra X quid Y years from now. The article mentions that part of it comes down to the cars themselves; expensive cars tend to come in conservative colours, and it's the high end stuff that bleeds value the fastest.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!