Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I don't think punching the odd twat here and there should detract from my normal courteous driving...!
  • No, you're right Mod. I wasn't thinking about congested traffic or where someone's turning right, where it's obviously a different situation. I was thinking in general terms about overtaking individual, slower-moving vehicles.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    No you wasn't, you were thinking about undertaking individual, slower-moving vehicles not overtaking. Keep up Igor!!!
  • Undertaking in the situation I described would have been illegal on my part.

EDIT: Yeah, to be honest, all this under/over, right/left, red/green stuff is all a bit confusing.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I used to love driving but the last few years it just seems to be more of a chore than a pleasure. I think this is more than likely down to the fact that I no longer have my bike or quad and whereas the Multipla ain't a bad drive it doesn't exactly set the world alight and the fact that with the odd exception here and there none of my journeys are ever longer than 10 minutes.
  • Fwiw Moto, whilst I consider myself a reasonably proficient and conscientious all-round driver, I'm sure in skill terms in a race situation you'd probably shit on me from a great height. I fancy having a go at track driving sometime, but the closest I've ever got to racing is a bit of basic karting.
  • @igor
    I can highly reccomend doing a skid pan day, its loads of fun and will help if you ever find yourself in a skid which could happen to the best of us.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    If I could change one thing in my life it would be that I would have got interested in Motorsport sooner, I just happened to fall into a job within Motorsport and that's when my interest in it progressed beyond F1 and rallying. From my earliest memories I have always been into cars and bikes, from riding my Dad's C90 around the garden to taking his Cortina Estate for a drive around the village when I was 11, I will drive anything and that is something that still hasn't left me, from Segways to Double Deckers (the buses not the chocolate bars) I have been lucky enough to drive many different vehicles, I have held my own in Karting events with BTCC drivers, I whooped a Formula Ford driver in an impromptu street race around Milton Keynes and according to the instructor on the Rally SS track at Silverstone my 'recoveries' are good.

Whether I would have been any good though I do not know but it is something I will always regret missing out on.
  • Top Gear did a thing about banger racing and IIRC what you could get for a grand, instead of joining a boring golf course - looked like fucking incredible fun. You thought of checking that out Moto?
    Could be just what you need to get your driving jollies and don't feel the need for street races ;-)

Commuting 60 miles a day got me hating driving as well - mostly cos of seeing asshole drivers doing stupid things would rile me up. Making an effort to relax when I drive has let me enjoy it again - leaving plenty of time so I'm never rushing so I don't get frustrated in heavy traffic and jams, always having lots of music and comedy podcasts to listen to means I never feel like I'm wasting my time just sitting in a traffic jam. Might try some audiobooks maybe, or there's them iTunes university thingies I might listen to, learn some new stuff.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I had years of driving a ridiculous amount of miles and I used to get really stressed but for quite a few years now I've learnt the joys of just chilling and not getting stressed though I had one relapse a few months ago where I chased after some cunt who clashed mirrors while was dropping the missus off but he started apologising straight away as soon as I caught up with him so I didn't even have to get out of the car...

I really haven't got the time to pursue any other activities, a full time job, 2 kids and dogs and we're in North Devon so everything is at least an hour away!
  • Yeah, clocking up the miles'll do it. Can't figure how the yanks drive so many hours without flipping their shit - but I guess the long roads are really straight and it's the country that gave the world cruise control, so their land-boat style of car design probably keeps it quite relaxing.

Being out in the sticks must suck for activities - must be fun for the dogs though, so swings and roundabouts I guess.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I'd never leave this town*, I love it here and after living in Manchester and Doncaster while I was young I'd never want to live in a highly populated place ever again, plus if I do get something nice to drive we have some cracking roads. Over Exmoor is a brilliant drive.

* I would split my time between here, Spain and the Bahamas though if I won the lottery!
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I did the roof on somebody's Peugeot this afternoon...

7569592812_ac50f8955a_z_d.jpg

...also in the top right corner in a fetching shade of teal you will see the slender flanks of my Italian thoroughbred, I give you, the Multipla!
  • Just been out and p/x'd my 10 year old 99000 mile Focus 1.6 Zetec for a 05 Clio 1.2 16v with 68k on the clock. Got £600 for the Focus, which I didn't think too bad considering the MOT runs out end of the week, tax end of the month, timing belt is due, new clutch needed. Was looking at a likely outlay of £800+ on the Focus or spend £1300 after p/x on the Clio and get a new MOT, service, 9 months tax, 6 months warranty, lower insurance, lower fuel costs, etc.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Igor would shit if he drove around in Australia.  Undertaking does not exist; here, we just call it driving.  No-one does aggressive driving culture better than us.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • American driving is lovely.  I like being in a massive car, with lanes about 3 miles wide, it's always sunny, roads run 30 miles straights before a bend and everyone drives with cruise control set 1mph under the limit.  It's so relaxing.  Compared to the 250 miles from Aberdeen to Elgin to Edinburgh down the A9 I drove yesterday anyway.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Here, you'll experience tailgating, violent lane changes with no indicating, people driving at 20km above the speed limit, people driving 20km below the speed limit (often within one lane of each other), people speeding up and slowing down without realising it because they're texting, angry truckdrivers and more badly driven 4WDs than you can shake a Fiat.  And that's only the women! etc.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Please be a pun and not an autocorrect.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    The Fiat thing?  That was a pun.
  • Is this the place to ask if anyone knows much about getting tinted windows? I want all the back windows done. Is there a standard %? Not sure if the model car matters for price but I've got an x3
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Cheers. Basically says I can't get the front ones done which is fine. I don't want it to look like a drug dealers car :) anyone got tinted windows or had the installed?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • @Permian - As much as I don't really appreciate that kind of thing on a car, that's a smart job chap.

Had a test drive in the new Volvo V40 today. Blimey, it's smart. Interior is excellent, although the drive is not exactly thrilling, but better than my A3 Sportback. It feels solid, extremely comfortable and the interior design is quite beautiful. Due to change my car in a few months and this is a serious contender. Hopefully Volvo will be able to poach a few sales from A3, 1-series buyers as it appears, on first impressions, to be a damn good car.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    When I was working for Ford doing the ’04 UEFA Cup final in Gothenburg they asked me what car I wanted, I said something quick like an Audi RS6. They said they couldn't give me an Audi but they'll see what they can do. Later that day they gave me a Volvo S60 T5, I loved it, so much so that when I was later working for Nissan I asked them for a Volvo and they gave me a S80, a bit more suited to the longer distances I was driving. I preferred the S60 though as it was a bit more agile...
  • I have a Volvo. RC60 (I think). It's basically massive and white, with 20 inch alloys, glass roof, gorgeous interior and blacked out windows.  It's like a drug dealers car for middle class yummy mummies. It is in all seriousness the best car I have so far bought + the aftersales service has been amazing.  We actually haven't yet paid for any service (or equipment, oil etc) since we bought it 2 years ago. Highly recommended.
    We've been for a test drive in a pimped up merc today. Hoho, soooo nice and another step up from the Volvo but 48k???
    I am really frivolous though.
  • So old porky is finally in the menders after 6 months sitting on the driveway.

So far ive had to fix the ABS which luckily turned out to be just a relay.
    The garage have replace all brake lines and hoses, sorted the emissions and have just told me it needs a new caliper.

Gonna cost about £450 in total including the MOT. Not bad really, fuck doing the brake lines myself.
  • ZMM wrote:
    I still have my RX-8 but it's got a tiny oil leak, anyone who's owned an RX-8 got any ideas what that's about? I suppose it could be a multitude of things.

Hi ZMM. Has yours had the oil cooler pipe recall? There was a recall, must have been 2008/9 with oil cooler pipes corroding having to be replaced on earlier cars. Those might have started corroding again as Mazda, in their infinite wisdom, replaced them with the same pipes they fitted in teh first place. The Renesis isn't prone to oil leaks, bar the stuff that comes out in your exhaust, unless a gearbox seal has gone?
  • Youve never done 32 in a 30 accidently, never clipped into another lane on a roundabout, never got slightly closer to someone than the minimum stopping distance? If the answer is yes you arent driving naturally and are still prob dangerous.
    Rubbish. I always stay in my lane, stay within the speed limit and keep a safe distance from vehicles in front wherever possible (e.g. when people cut in, I drop back). What's so difficult? It's just sensible, alert driving.

Ironically, that would make me far more dangerous. I'd be bored senseless. I once did the IAM course and the Advanced Driving courses. The only thing that kept me from losing the will to live was having to do the constant observation talk. And, as we can post piccies here, I can add my current motor to the pile. 

578728_10151004480419737_1119145639_n.jpg
    Still love it. Miles better than the STI I had before it. And it hasn't lunched a piston like the STI. Double bonus. I just keep telling the missus I can get 30mpg from it. That's "can" not "do". Problem is going to be knowing what to replace it with. The benefit of 4wd became acutely apparent in recent winters, and going slower wouldn't be nearly as fun. However, after this year, there will be no more STIs or Evos available to buy new and it'll be a good 3 years at the soonest before the next generation. Tried a Golf R and Audi S3 but found both a bit....well......sober, and the RS3 is stupidly overpriced.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Have we got a bike thread?

I'm toying (read that on the brink of) getting myself another scooter for commuting, I don't need to use a car everyday and with the fuel economy and 0% finance it means that I will actually be getting this for free (if I do get it) with the savings I'll make. Not sure what colour to go for?

Honda PCX125
  • Looks nicest in white imo. I will add I know nothing about bikes and am colour blind.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!