Pokéthread
  • Well I am definitely up for raising an absolute monster of an Infernape again.
  • Are Diamond and Pearl good in the series? The kids loved Shield and may want another Pokemon.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Loved the presentation.

I always found the Pokeball plus connection a tad flakey myself.
    3DS: 2105-8748-8084 Switch: SW-3316-5834-8308 PSN: aynsleyw
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Are Diamond and Pearl good in the series? The kids loved Shield and may want another Pokemon.
    I'm sure if you go online you can find a lot of people complaining about any main series Pokémon. Pretty sure they're all fine. The spin offs and mobile games are probably not that interesting to them.

ayns wrote:
    I always found the Pokeball plus connection a tad flakey myself.
    I got it to work again yesterday, but then it didn't caught most of them pokémon on my evening walk... The thing is great in theory, but sometimes lacks. Have never been able to try it in Let's Go as I don't have that one.

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Narratively, in as much as Pokemon games have a narrative, Diamond and Pearl are some of the most interesting.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    Never did care very much for how Sword/Shield looked, so the retroish look of Diamond/Pearl appeals. Jury’s out on that other one.

I feel exactly the same, the minute the new Diamond/Pearl trailer started and it showed off the 3D version with the same sprite dimensions I was fully on board. I think it looks really cool.

I would say my top 2 Pokémon games in terms of style would be Pokémon B/W, and the let’s go games (was less a fan of the catching stuff but I thought it looked incredible). This seems to be a mash up of both so am very pleased! Also never competed them at the time and in fact still have diamond on the shelf to be played.

Less a fan of that arceus game, tbh it looked a little meh to me. I think I want something very different from a Pokémon game than most. Wasn’t a fan of the wild areas in s/s either.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    How does Let's Go actually play in handheld mode? Does the catching still works? Really wish I could get it for a decent price, but it never seems to drop and second hand is too expensive as well. Just looks very relaxing to play.

And I should actually go back to Shield if I want more Pokémon to play, never finished the DLC.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Nina wrote:
    How does Let's Go actually play in handheld mode? Does the catching still works? Really wish I could get it for a decent price, but it never seems to drop and second hand is too expensive as well. Just looks very relaxing to play.

You can use gyro and thumb stick to aim on handheld and tap a button to throw. It's been ages since I played it but remember having a decent time with it on the bus. I know it was controversial among the fans but I loved Let's Go.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Are Diamond and Pearl good in the series? The kids loved Shield and may want another Pokemon.

The only mainline ones with significant detractors are Ruby and Sapphire (Generation III for the GBA) and Sword and Shield (Generation VIII for the Switch). All the other ones are broadly popular although obviously opinions vary.

I remember enjoying Diamond and Pearl but they were the first of many Pokémon Nintendo DS games and consequently have slower gameplay - they managed to make further optimisations and quality of life improvements by the end of the DS era. So that colours some people's memories, although obviously as remakes all that stuff will be brought up to date. They were kinda the ultimate end point of the traditional Pokémon formula as the main legendaries literally had power over space and time and the main mythical event Pokémon was literally Pokémon God. After that they started to mix up the formula a bit. For some people they are the favourites - quite a few people have been eagerly awaiting these remakes.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Pearl was my gateway Pokemon game.  Gold is the one I remember most fondly.
    Get schwifty.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Apparently in Japan the titles clearly delineate which Pokémon games are part of the main series and Pokémon Legends Arceus is part of the main series despite being a bit different, in the same way that Let's Go was.
  • anyone playing pokemon go, how full is your dex? i'm up to caught 636 and see 647
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Caught 617 seen 646. Only Kanto complete, missing the regionals obviously, and still need to do a lot of evolutions for the later regions.
  • Soooo my son is really keen to evolve Machoke, trouble is you need to trade with someone to make it happen. Anyone else have Pokemon sword or shield and willing to trade then trade back? Can we sort out a time to be online at same time for 10 mins to make it happen?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I have one, level 43. What time is he / you usually playing?
  • Amazing. Usually anytime between 16:00 and 19:00 UK time, weds/Thurs/Fri, if those suit?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    Soooo my son is really keen to evolve Machoke, trouble is you need to trade with someone to make it happen. Anyone else have Pokemon sword or shield and willing to trade then trade back? Can we sort out a time to be online at same time for 10 mins to make it happen?

This is the best daddy post I've ever seen on this site.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Amazing. Usually anytime between 16:00 and 19:00 UK time, weds/Thurs/Fri, if those suit?

If the time difference doesn't work out with Nina I can also do the trade
  • Thanks both, he'll be very happy!
  • regmcfly wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:
    Soooo my son is really keen to evolve Machoke, trouble is you need to trade with someone to make it happen. Anyone else have Pokemon sword or shield and willing to trade then trade back? Can we sort out a time to be online at same time for 10 mins to make it happen?

This is the best daddy post I've ever seen on this site.

Haha, he's been wanting to evolve this pokemon for weeks!

• Well thanks to Nina, Harry is now a very happy boy with not only his evolved Machoke, but also some Shield exclusive pokemon.

• Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    No worries, he's at a fun point in the game, if I remember right he can soon go after his Legendary!
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Anyone else partaking in Pokémon Legends: Arceus? It's really good, IMO.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I’m in.  Hasn’t popped through the letterbox yet, though.
    Get schwifty.
  • My son said he wasn't sure whether he wanted to get this as he likes the traditional battling pokemon to catch them, like in Sword/Shield.

How are you guys finding it? Is it a big departure?
  • It’s very similar to the wild area for Sword Shield. The battling is broadly the same but with a slight twist that it’s not purely back and forth with the faster Pokémon going first but if a Pokémon is faster sometimes they get two goes in a row.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    My son said he wasn't sure whether he wanted to get this as he likes the traditional battling pokemon to catch them, like in Sword/Shield.

How are you guys finding it? Is it a big departure?

It doesn't jetison battling wild Pokémon to catch them more than it caters for different playstyles. Pokémon have different levels of aggressiveness - the aggressive ones, and there are quite a few, can't be caught before battle unless you sneak up on them, so unless you have a sneaky playstyle you'll usually need to battle them.

You can also choose how you build up the Pokédex record for each Pokémon - you could catch the Pokémon over and over, like Pokémon Go, or you can battle them over and over instead. You can also build a record by watching Pokémon do certain moves, which again happens if you battle them.
  • Cheers fellas. How are you finding it?
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I'm loving it, to be honest. It's the Switch Pokémon game I've always wanted (albeit the graphics could be a bit nicer).
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    The battling is basically the same as older titles. It even tells you which moves will be effective or not, which may upset purists who liked memorising that sort of thing. The biggest difference is that when you're in a field, you're in a field. No more walking along a path with set dressing. You engage in battles by throwing a Pokeball at the Pokemon you can see wandering around. It's kinda the Pokemon game that's existed in everyone's heads since the original Red and Blue.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!