For the Edge Community
‹ Previous12
  • This is for the Edge community:

After all these years, you all deserve some love. I have stacked up in my head some things y’all have been very wrong on - Prometheus, L.A. Noire being two obvious recent bits - but mostly you have stood by old Paul here when I’ve been going through bad times. You have befriended me through the Facebook or the Twitter or Skype. I had chats with Google and Childintime early on. You were great guys. And Darthjim! before his rant about pink shirts attracting fags kind of pegged him as a strange cult head. But he was a good guy regardless, and I’m sorry that I’m not strong enough to keep on going and not care about it. I’m sensitive. This is my problem.

Folks have rarely had me as the front out fellow, except where I made it necessary. I’m not a stand up guy in real life, day to day. I’m generally a coward. I have taken the easy bit, not wanting to get into knife fights with lunatics no matter how hilarious the idea of my sucking on their father’s cock is. Here’s the bit: I have had good friends who have been taken down by this shit. And I almost was. Again: Coward, on old Muggins. So when I have overreacted to language put out to rankle me, or to suggest “Hey Paul, you’re a bit too self-serious brah, chill a bit!” I have reacted bad.

Instances of this are partly from Kow & Gonzo who poked and prodded me, especially when I was being forthright and particular about the nonsense contained within the DO NOT DRAW MOHAMMAD jam. That was noise directed by zealot psychotics who threatened violence, but I can see how the reaction could be seen as an assault on some fellows and women for no other reason than “Hey I was born into this, why am I figure of hate all of a sudden?”

As an Irish fellow, we have had some measure of the victimhood jazz, excuses of our backwardness put against the Imperial oppressors. Well, jeez, if Britain would not have been terrible shits maybe we would not have allowed the Catholic Church to rape our children, or to put women on the bottom or to act as if anecdotes about good priests better hard statistics and generation’s of weird violence and abuse. This is what we are are hopefully now coming to terms with. I love Ireland for many reasons.

Joyce and Flann O’Brien (“Woe be on him that eats the bog” is the best damn satire of this country’s good points + bad points that can rightly be created) and my uncle from Wexford, and my best friend from Dublin and my best friend from Meath. And everything I have written fiction wise, has hopefully accounted for these good points. I am not just a bitter old wretch, but a sort who hopes for this country to represent better the progressive energy that is apparent for any fully brained sorts. Coopers Green can hopefully back me up on this point.

I know that a hammering of Gay Rights, or Women’s Rights can be tiresome in a context of social media. That hammering without joy or without entertainment, and certainly without any real life action to back it up, can be Jesus Wept a whole thing of pathetic energy. As with the Civil Rights bit with the African American, the Hispanic or Native American, I kind of hope that it is simply a reflection that I’m willing to stand up a bit on these points that matter over all, and which do not directly impact me.

Getting into specifics of you guys and what has happened recently, I just want to say that I have a whole mess of love for you. As Bugul, or Muggins, or Chet, or Paul (that’s my name yo), it has been my privilege to know you all. Recently ADKM had a bit of words for Tempy on Twitter and it bothered me, as it was directed at his supposed EMO “Hissy Fit” expressions. Now, I figured, seeing as ADKM was not exactly innocent all these years in unreasonable or irrational emotional responses to scenarios that it was a bit rich for him to be taking old Tempy to task for falling short of his entertaining tweet quota.

Tempy is my friend, and I do not think it’s cool to be acting as if he was his mother or father, or best friend, when by his own admission he was a subscriber to a channel he sometimes found amusing or interesting. If Tempy has some bother or pressure, that is important to me. I do not want to be flippant or uncaring with him, as he has been there for me when I have similar genuine real life bother.

This along with the bother with Fenton’s friend seemed like an incredible cold and cynical reading of what the internet is for us lot as a group, in its excuses. ADKM, if you talk to people who matter to you like this, well man, that’s a bad sign, and maybe you want to look at that instead of weird deflections and a continuation of the cycle? I never had a grudge with you brother, or any problem and I felt that Unlikely’s specific problem as it regarded the REGSTOCK bit was way, way too harsh. And I don’t want to be putting you down, but Jesus you seemingly don’t care for such emotional considerations as genuine as they are, so I guess I’ll leave this here to sink.  

Google and Gonzo have bothered me at times for their pretenses around this forum thang not mattering. They don’t believe that, and it is not fair or good to introduce this as an excuse to some hurtful instance. Personally, I don’t figure that faggot should be thrown around to prove a point to me or to the ether, especially when the people doing it are so fucking decent and aware of the problems that kind of shit causes (Lawro, Gonzo, Kow in particular.) Fine, it’s the case that we can only do what we have done. We are not aiming for anything more meaningful. Oh this is the cycle of activitiy. Expectation suggests we are terrible arses for expecting better, but at one point, at 26 years old and having very few real world friends, I was kind of hoping that at some stage my internet pals would step in and be stand up sorts.

(Facewon, Skerret and Some Guy are great friends from the the Australia I have made, and even when they have humoured me (and I have feigned not being aware of said humouring) I have enjoyed all the chats guys. Temps, naturally, Childintime we’ve had our great chats. Mod, you’re a good old sort and I’d very much like one day to have a nice friendly pint with ya. Olimite, on that music trip I hope you keep hooking me up brah. Reg, you’re so right about Nic Cage. Coops, we need to pint.)

G-Man, you have been the heart of this place for a long time, and as some sorts have suggested - get that goddamn lonely gamer thread into book form! You have some good writing chops brother, and some great anecdotes. Brooks, I know your mystique and contrary bit is TM all up in this lousy bitch, but I would one day appreciate a verbal communication. Soon To Be Innocent Fun has spawned some good times and no fooling. Dark Soldier, you're about as right as you can get on horror and that. And The House of the Devil is certainly one of the best bits of horror creation stuff as is available.

I’ll leave this here not as a call to attention, but as a fairly unusual bit of honest communication on my part. There is no crisis here, but fuck me, we’re better than this. Maybe this is a precious request for an avoidance of the next cycle of mean spirited defensive arsery, but so be it.

I’m Paul, I’m a real human being and I’m not perfect but I have done what I can.
    I'm a Sasquatch man and I'm watching you.
  • And I thought I'd been drinking.
  • I'm a real human being too. *Sniff*
  • What is reality.
  • Srsly though this stuff:

10020446_4e876e02d02e5.jpg

Stay ye the fuck away from it, everyone. I beg your attention on this point. That cheerful Tudor man is a daemon.
  • Am confused on your drinking never making you more human.
  • My sins run deep.
  • Appreciate old timey spelling: daemon though. I pronounce the 'a' you know.
  • The internet is fast becoming a replacement for real world interaction.

We should treat our dealings here as we would people on the street.

I for one am quite thin skinned, and sometimes find it hard to brush off what others would probably see as normal internet parlance.

Good on you Paul for being honest with your feelings and writing all this.

Much love to everyone. EVERYONE (GaryOldman.gif).
  • So are you saying I have to call people faggots to get some acknowledgement around here? Also, never knew you were a fellow tater muncher chet/bugul/paul.
    XBL: DJ Rick Joyce
    PSN: P-BAP
  • Let me roll it to you.

Sorry, all not specifically mentioned are just as a result of my inability to get some in language right now about our interactions. But I love you all. Rick Joyce, you are a Resident Evil 6 defender so that is GOOD.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I've spent most of tonight dealing with the fallout and potential injury from a friend's misbegotten relationship with some girl while he's heavily drunk. My opinion on the virtues of heavy drinking is skewed to the negative at the mo.

I don't think i've been part of this community long enough to matter a jot, but still, that was a heart warming load of paragraphs.
  • Let me roll it to you. Sorry, all not specifically mentioned are just as a result of my inability to get some in language right now about our interactions. But I love you all. Rick Joyce, you are a Resident Evil 6 defender so that is GOOD.
    Nah, I'm just jerkin' ya 'round, I don't put in much of me besides my game thoughts as I found I was a bit too easily battered online (insanely over sensitive just like my moms) so I blend into the scenery a bit. Anyway, keep up the good posting.
    XBL: DJ Rick Joyce
    PSN: P-BAP
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    I don't think i've been part of this community long enough to matter a jot, but still, that was a heart warming load of paragraphs.

of course you matter, everyone matters!
    wether you were here day 1 of the old forum/s or joind a few days ago, 
    your a part of the community and we love you for it. <3 :) 

nice words bugul btw. :)
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I'm not quite sure what all of this is in response to, but still, nice sentiments all the same.

And Bollock, Davie's right, you are now One Of Us.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I don't know, but based on Brooks's post above yours, it's his fault.
  • Woah.

Cracking post, overall. I don't know if "humouring" is the word, btw, Paul, I do know, however, that you did send me a monster of an email once which I short changed in response because I just didn't feel, I dunno, qualified/able to deal with it, and it looked like it needed to be responded to properly. Always felt a bit shit about leaving that one out there hanging.

So apologies.

Agreed with the general sentiment of your post here though, it's not just the interwebs, even if it's not actually real all the time either.

*hugs all round*
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    For fuck's sake, what sort of blarney is this to be walking up to on a Sunday morning?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Go eat a boiled egg in tomato soup.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    IT'S NOT SOUP
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Of course it is. Heinz Cream of Tomato with an egg plopped in.  You can't fool us into thinking its some sort of special local thing.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Infidels.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I read this not knowing where it was going then I knew where it was going then I saw the words Nicolas Cage and I knew everything was going to be alright.

Here's a thought - Nic Cage voicing reborn Wesker in Resi 7.

Just gonna leave that hanging.

Also love to all this community xxx
  • That people care enough to start threads like this is a fine example of just how precious our little oasis of chat is. Nice one Bugs

love to all

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Wonderful word stylings Bugs. I was worried for a moment there that you were calling it a day here. Thankfully, that's not the case. It would be a darker place without your presence here.

Besides, there are plenty of ex-Presidents left are there not? :)

This has grown into something much greater and more personal than a simple online community and, in tandem with the much-maligned Twitter, I have forged some definite friendships. While it may be possible I may never meet some/any of you, this is always my first port of call in the day and the relocation to these new digs (cheers Petey) has only strengthened that action.

Now, get your arse back in the music thread and bestow on us your wonderful teachings. That thread (and we) need you.
  • I think I need to read that again after I've had some sleep.
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!