I Wanna Get It On With Jahbulon : The Shmups/STG Thread
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Up and down today. Got to level 6 with 2 lives a few times. Should have got there with 3 lives on one occasion but for an idiotic mistake in level 5 at a section I never had a problem with. Anyhoo.

Have managed to do the level 6 boss with 1 or 2 life losses so there's improvement there - I reckon I can manage it with no life losses if I get to practice it enough though.

Other runs in the same session were effing idiotic mistake ridden screw ups. Such is the pain.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Last couple of sessions have been good. Seeing everything well. Almost got to the level 6 boss on my 1st credit - best run so far.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Best run ever tonight. 2.29m high score and deep into level 6. I actually broke 1m on the level 2 boss which I have never done before. The score being hot meant the rank was up and caught me out a few times though.

I have still to "beat" the game using the 4 credits it gives you. Can get to the final boss but haven't got there with enough credits to learn too much about its patterns.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Interesting poll over at shmups.com re console exclusive games
    Rank        Name              Points     Nb of Votes
    1      Gradius Gaiden         1896          24
    2      R-Type Delta           1378          19
    3      Gradius V              1333          19
    4      Thunder Force IV       1305          18
    5      Recca                  967           13
    6      Einhander              896           14
    7      Nexzr                  840           12
    8      Thunder Force III      785           11
    9      Musha                  750           12
    10     Super Aleste           723           12
    11     Winds Of Thunder       640           10
    12     Eschatos               612           9
    13     Thunder Force V        584           8
    14     Soldier Blade          575           8
    15     Gunhed                 540           9
    16     Gleylancer             496           10
    17     Gun Nac                487           10
    18     Harmful Park           439           7
    19     Gate of Thunder        420           6
    20     Slap Fight MD          411           6

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I've never spent much time with the top 2 even though I own them (2 more in my pile of shame).

Not a fan of TF IV. I don't like the design - the enemies just look like lumps of flying junk. I much prefer TFIII though again it's in my pile.

The only one I have 1CCed is Super Aleste.
  • Interesting seeing Eschatos up there. Didn’t get along with it that well, although I didn’t play it much anyway.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Gate of Thunder is a cracking game. Was on PC Engine but I got to play it on the Wii's VC. The PCE was an amazing machine when it came to arcade style games.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    So Espgaluda 2, Mushi and DFK getting Switch releases. All regions. Mushi is 1st. £15 and available now. Reports are good re controller lag etc.

I own Esp2 on 360, Mushi on steam and DFK on 360+Steam.  DFK seems to have KetsuiPachi.

Tempted for get Mushi though.  If it was physical I definitely would though I may still get.
  • Yeah I would prefer physical.

Reminded me to check the iOS store and lo, they updated a few of their games a year or so ago to work on latest iOS. Downloaded them! No Mushi or Espgaluda 2 though. The latter had a decent iOS mode.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There's a bizarre old mobile port of DOJ that has been re-released for Switch. I really don't see the point of that. Has been out for a while now.

http://cave-stg.com/forum/index.php?topic=1890.0
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I might get Mushi for switch. I'm always tempted by shmups, but the huge choice (both in games and platforms to play on) always has me wonder what to get for too long.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nina wrote:
    I might get Mushi for switch. I'm always tempted by shmups, but the huge choice (both in games and platforms to play on) always has me wonder what to get for too long.

I'd check out gameplay videos first - it can look overwhelming but the games are very playable and they are not as difficult as they appear at first.  They look impossible but they are manageable (i.e. beating them without using continues) with some dedication and regular practice.

• Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I think it was done a "games done quick" as well at some point, that was really impressive.

Will have a look later on switch. I've plenty on my steam wishlist, but it's always Sine Mora that's on sale, which doesn't seem to have lived up to the hype it used to have.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Havent heard good things about Sine Mora but that might be because its more a mainstream style of game.

The GDQ thing was the sequel Mushi Futari played in Ultra mode which is super tough. Only a handful of people in the world (less than 100 anyway) could do runs like that one.

Original Mushi is still a great game and there are easier modes such as original that are far more managable.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    No missed up to the level 5 boss and then totally screwed up. The bullet speed was different because of the higher rank - lost 3 effing lives. Sigh.  Got deep into level 6 but a great run turned into a run-of-the-mill run in about 15 secs...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Mushi on Switch - looks just like the Steam version. Which is good by the way.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Eff this bloody game.

Still at it. Still getting to level 6 most of the time.

I know what needs to be done now to get to the final boss. It's putting it all together. I'm not getting to the boss with enough credit to practice it often enough.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Not been near this all week....too much on.

Going to have to go through the pain of getting back into this.......
  • A break is often what you need to progress, in my experience (from other games at least). You lose a bit of sharpness but gain new approaches, and quickly get back to where you were, then beyond. I still believe in you, m8 :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah - a break isn't the worst thing in the world.

I may have to get an arcade stick for Switch at this rate..

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Went back to Layer Section today after several days away from it.

Was OK. It felt good. Still getting to level 6 but just can't get to the boss on 1 credit yet. Got to level 5 boss with only 1 life loss but the rank tricked me again with its slightly different bullet pattern.

I've been practicing the level 6 boss by using a a credit and I've no-missed a few times and can usually get past it losing 1 life.

I credit feed (it gives you 4 credits) and I can get to the final boss every time now but without sufficient resources to really have a good crack at it. I really need to get break the level 6 thing and get past it on my first credit.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Hmmm.. Tried being more passive with the level 6 mini boss today and I think it's the way to doing that level without losing a life (all other sections going well of course!!). It's the one part of that level I haven't been really in control of and this seems to be the way. Attacking that boss requires me to be half way up the screen to use the lock-on laser and the popcorn lasers are just too fast for me avoid when sitting there. Best I sit back and suffer its fire at a distance until it reaches the end of the track it runs on and I can take it out then as the popcorn enemies disappear at that point.

Also have tweaked my level 5 boss strategy to improve my success (i.e. no life loss) rate with him.

Going to try and push hard this week to get to that level 6 boss on first credit. I'm off this coming Wednesday for a week. 12th July is a public holiday here so taking some time around it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The Electric Underground is streaming Radiant Silvergun 1CC attempts. Heh.

Jesus what a game. Sitting in my pile of shame of course. I credit fed it in arcade mode and was just so intimidated by it back then. Was one of the first games I imported back in the early 00s.  I'd need a few more 1CCs under my belt before I'd consider it. It's a long haul.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Mushi on Switch reported as solid re slowdown accuracy and control lag.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Tried playing with the Saturn pad last night just to see how it felt. Did pretty well. It's a great pad but I need to stay with the stick as I'm just too used to it now.

The bloody green lasers on the level 5 boss keep snagging me - something that I didn't have issues with before. :(
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    In a slump right now....just not "on".  I'm always a fraction of a second behind where I'm supposed to be. Means getting snagged up in traffic that normally doesn't occur. Weird feeling as I don't feel any different.

I took a break yesterday and booted up Super SWIV / aka Firepower 2000 on SNES. Wrong move when looking for light relief......it's a tough bast. But I enjoyed it. It still looks great. I 1CCed the PAL version back in the day but I want to repeat it again at NTSC speed so I can officially tick that one off. It will take a bit of practice to get the skills back. 

You have 2 ways to play - the jeep is on the ground and has to jump over ditches and avoid obstacles. It will crash into the gun emplacements and tanks but has 8 way lockable firing.

The helicopter can only crash into the flying enemies, moves faster but has 1 way firing only. The heli is tougher but it's great that it adds replay value like this. Used to play it in 2P mode back in the 90s which was great fun.

Unlike the Megadrive the SNES isn't known for good traditional shmups but it has a few - Super Aleste, Super Dropzone and RType III are recommendations from me that I'd put against most MD games. But I'd put Super SWIV/Firepower 2000 alongside. It's a really sold game that looks and sounds great, has a great power up system and interesting levels. The last level is a bit disappointing but it's a great ride up until then. No continues either - hard core.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Gnnnnnnnn....

Definitely have a good strategy for the level 6 mid boss and I'm getting better at the actual boss too but it's still a tough level.  It and level 4 are still the widowmakers.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
  • Whaaaaaat?!  I do wonder if any good will come of it though.  What exactly have Cave done in recent years?!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Bugger all apart from some iffy mobile phone games. Maybe that's what they will do with TouHou. Nothing of interest for me there.

I thought Touhou was a one man show. Maybe it's only the older games. I'd not like to think there wouldn't be any new ones for PC. Maybe they now have that dev on a retainer which would be an interesting idea.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!