• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    davyK wrote:

Correction - they have bought the licence for it.  That probably means just phone conversions of existing games.  Cave are all but a one band now too so maybe this is some sort of cross over on mobile.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I like this guy. Haven't watched this yet but though it worth posting here as he talks a lot of sense.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    A mini breakthrough of sorts. Beat the game with the default 4 credits. Got to mid boss of level 6 with first credit (which is the usual good run for me) and then managed to hold onto enough resources to get the level 7 boss to experiment. Had a good level 6 boss and first phase of level 7 which is a bit of a turkey shoot as it's pure reaction and no patterns. Discovered a quick way of despatching the first phase of the final boss which helps a lot.

XsdTqBM.jpg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I've had to pack the Saturn away as my games room is reconfigured for 2 weeks to accommodate a guest.

I can carry on using MAME of course though it doesn't work with save states unfortunately.

But then I'm also tempted by my Steam library. Was playing a bit of Raiden IV last night. Really nice game and the Steam port is excellent with plenty of modes and an excellent level based score attack mode for focussed practice.
  • Oh wow! No way! A PlatinumGamss shmup! Read the whole blog piece. Sounds awesome. Can’t wait!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Looks splendid.

Also ....  Vol.1    More to come.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have been getting some Layer Section practice in on MAME. Save states are glitchy but I've managed to get some final boss practice in. Have a basic method for a quick kill but it needs some work.

Playing a spot of Mushi on Steam too. A superb game. It actually might be better than my beloved Futari. Not quite sure yet.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Sigh. Can't stay away from Mushihimesama on Steam. I'm playing it on Novice as I can't be bothered with a challenge at the minute and it's so pleasurable with the rank lowered. Got to the final boss last night. I'll 1-CC it and then see how it goes on Normal but I really need to get back to Layer Section.

The Saturn will be set up again next week. Will get back on it then.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Well...managed to 1CC Mushi in Novice mode. Playing it in Normal mode is a different kettle of fish though. Getting to the level 3 boss (it's a 5 level game) is as far as I can get without focussed practice. Level 1 I can freestyle and I've learned enough of level 2 to be confident. But as is the case with Cave, things heat up in level 3. I can manage some sections OK but I'd need to starting practicing levels individually.  Gorgeous game - but I have my office back now so will be getting the Saturn hooked up again and get back to Layer Section.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My Novice run. Did this just to practice capturing a game recording in Steam using WINDOWS+G menu. Handy enough.

Novice mode is a bit too tame but it's a decent way to learn a game and get an idea of level layouts. This run has a lot of freestyling without any memorised patterns which shows how much easier it is. There are a couple of sections where I've memorised where the bullet cancelling large enemies appear but that is very much in the minority.   

Obviously I don't consider this a proper 1CC but it's a nice relaxing way to play a game when Layer Section is pissing you off!. Of course trying Maniac and Ultra in Novice is a good way of sampling those harder modes too.  I need to return to this on Normal mode though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Well back at Layer Section again. Got a better first run after a break than I could reasonably expect - half way through level 6 on the MAME version. See a recording of it below..hard going back to an old school game with no bombs to bail you out!!

The Saturn port awards 1ups at 500K and 1M while the arcade version here does it 1M and 2M. Doesn't really matter once you can get to level 6 but it puts a bit of pressure on when you make an early mistake as I do here with the level 3 mid boss. It's a nice start though. Levels 4 and 6 are the key to a 1CC. If I can limit my life losses to one in each of those I'll be well on my way but once you take a hit and lose your way then multiple hits are likely.

You can see me checking if save states work in the new MAME version I'm playing this in but I get the same warning message I get in earlier versions sadly.

I had a great level 4 and made a stupid mistake in 5 which I can usually no-miss. My first life loss in level 6 was stupid too but the others were just being ring rusty. Had a bit of luck in one or two places too (just before the level 4 boss for one).

Lets you see what this game is like anyhow - it's peak old school with an almost cinematic feel with the way it seamlessly joins levels up.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have discovered a level select on the Saturn port!! You need an AR code to unlock it. What a pity it isn't a feature of the game proper.

Save states screw up in MAME so I may return to the Saturn port now to practice level 6 a bit more. :)
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Got to the final pattern of the TLB today.  One or two more bombs and I could've had it.  It's painful but encouraging, I'm almost there.

Just checking in, wishing you many lucky dodges and much zen, Davy.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    That's on Ura,isn't it? Sheesh... I know you are very good but you must be elite level now to be able to get close to that. DDP-DFK BL Arrange has Ketsui chips in it - might be something to look at as a next challenge. :)  It has an Ura loop too. On Steam.

I have got a stable level 6 save state on a different version of MAME now even though I get a "not supported" warning message. Also have a mid boss save state so I can really crack on now with latter half practice. Getting close to mastering both phases. This is the crunch time and the 1CC hangs on this. Level 7 is easier.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Pain, pain, pain. Level 6 save state practice tonight. Happy with first phase now. Concentrating on mid boss to main boss now.

Excuse the first 15secs of static - still learning how to make videos using Windows 10.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Boy oh boy. Level 6 really is a bitch. I can't imagine how anyone mastered this old school with credit feeding in an arcade.

The 2nd phase is split into 2 sections. The 1st is trying to bomb the mid boss as it trundles along planting guns on the ground that need taken out quickly, all while dealing with popcorn enemies that are magnetically attracted to your ship.

Then you encounter a section made up of walls held by pillars. You need to bomb the pillar 5 times and then shoot out the walls to cause the pillar to collapse. Pillars and walls re-generate. All the while you are dealing with flying enemies.

I'm gradually getting better at both sections, particularly the first section in comparison to my performance in the above video. And I have a path through the 2nd section. 

Also there's one pattern in the boss fight that I can't get a consistent approach too. Just need to keep the focussed practice up.

I want to budget a life loss in level 4 and 1 in level 6, leaving me 3 for the last level which has a pile of random enemy movement. So I need to be able to either no-miss level 6 and then lose a life on the boss or get the boss down pat and have a 1 life loss budget for the level proper.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Here's a thing. A vertical shmup embracing modern screen ratios. I might check this out when it hits steam. Need to support these efforts.

• Oh my!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    More level 6 improvement. Cleaned it and the boss but lost 2 lives. I have the patterns down just need to execute.

Of course level 4 had got rusty so keeping that warm is a challenge too and doing occasional full runs.  This is a hard game for me. The toughest I have played seriously yet. It is so easy to get over run and no bombs to use. I'd put this above Gigawing as a 1CC challenge.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Took a wee break and did a deathless run on Darius Gaiden today. First ever.... but I missed the 1up on level 6 "Q" otherwise I'd have broken 8m for the first time.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Flushed with success I tried the Switch port by M2 of Gaiden. Just cannot get on with the 8bitdo controller though. That's my excuse for playing like a panda. The rank feels a teeny bit harder but I've cleaned this game on Saturn and MAME. I've always played with a stick and going back to dpad feels off and I kept making daft moves like running into the floor etc.

The M2 port is spectacular though. i should look around for what stick options there are on Switch as there's a few others Switch ports I've got an eye on.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Cotton collection on Switch - one worth skipping over it seems.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Level 6. Bloody level 6 of this damn game.

2nd and 3rd phases. Getting better but I'm not getting enough regular practice in.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    ah....been a hussy this evening. Bought Crimzon Clover for Steam and played some of that - wonderful game. Cruised through a bit Zero Gunner and Danmaku Unlimited 2.

I'm definitely going more modern when I get this Layer Section monkey off my back.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Getting better but dear me this is a struggle.  The increase in rank is noticable when I get to the 3rd phase of the level with the red laser. The red enemies at the start of that section are far more aggressive and I have to use mis-direction more heavily to get past them. With the green laser they are a lot tamer. The boss is less aggressive too of course.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Better session this evening. Got to and beat the boss a couple of times even.

Did a run from level 3 to keep my hand in on the earlier levels too. Level 4 needs regular practice - there's 2 sections in it that can end a run.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Took delivery of the Hori mini stick for Switch. Feels a lot better playing Darius Gaiden. Will need to adjust to it but it's a nice - if rather light feeling - stick.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Did a Layer Section run from level 3 to level 6 boss last night. I've got most of this down to execution now. The only thing I have still to figure out is the final phase of the last boss which I'm not getting to in normal runs.

I need to keep to a daily schedule though if I'm to do this.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!