I Wanna Get It On With Jahbulon : The Shmups/STG Thread
  • davyK wrote:
    Some frowns in the shmup community with the new Deathsmiles ports for Steam, Switch and PS. Think I'll be hanging onto my 360 version.

Do you know what the issues are the community has with it?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Lag seems to be the main complaint. There are extra frames displayed before your controller input is recognised. It isn't an M2 port which usually means some technical compromises.

Now whether I'd recognise it or not is another matter. But since I have it on 360 there is little reason for me to own it.

My intention is to pick up physical copies of games I own on Steam. So I gave pre-ordered Switch Musihihimesama.  And while I own DDP:Resurrection for 360, I my pick it up for Switch too as it has the KetsuiPachi mode that is missing from the 360 port.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Ah cheers.  I have it on 360 too, but would need to set it up in limited spcae to play my shmups.  Need to make space!

DDP for Switch sounds good, will definitely get that.  Just need Mushi Futari on a current console!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    DDP:Res is due a digital release on Switch. I have it on disc for 360 and digital on Steam. But I'd bite for a physical copy on Switch for KetsuiPachi provided the port is decent. 

edit: heard it is good so I'll be keeping an eye out for a limited run or strictly limited release.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    So yeah, Ketsui Deathtiny is as amazing as expected. Have it and played it on 360, but the PS4 version is a great package.

Aye. This would almost make it worth getting a PS4 though I'd want an expensive physical copy since I can play Ketsui on MAME.  Even with the extras on the PS4 version it's a bit of a reach.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Posted in the retro thread, but just before new year I took delivery of my cartridge copy of Darius Extra Version for megadrive - published by Strictly Limited games.

The game crashes sadly - throws up an error screen - every time. Lets me play level 1 then crashes in level B or C at random locations. The boss rush mode seems to work OK and if I leave the game in demo mode it runs fine.  :(

My MD is modded. Have tried region switch and 50/60 switch but still the same results.

Have contacted Strictly Limited but I'm wondering if they will insist I try it on an unmodded console. :(  They have told me to wait until Wednesday for a response and get back to them if I don't hear.

The game is superb - it plays REALLY well and has been beautifully repurposed for 4:3. Playing it on a CRT is such a joy. I've bought Darius 2 on eBay to keep me going while I (hopefully) get this resolved.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    MD port of Darius 2.  Ordered this as I had the Darius bug and wanted to play it MD style. Obviously technically not as good as the new Darius MD game, but it's a splendid game. Pretty tough too. Getting about half way on 1 credit.  It gets a bit slowdown laden at times but it's isolated to instances when things get busy like with one over ambitious boss writhing around the screen etc.

What I've noticed is how much better I was playing when I swapped the pad out for the MD stick. I seem to have programmed myself to be better at shmups with a stick now.  As spongy as this old stick is, it performs rather well.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I like doing this from time to time. Up to date pictures of my physical shmup collection.

SNES/SFC
    snesShmups.jpg

Megadrive
    MDshmups.jpg

PS1
    ps1Shmups.jpg

Saturn
    saturnShmups.jpg

N64/GC
    n64GCShmups.jpg

Dreamcast
    DCshmups.jpg

PS2
    ps2jShmups.jpg
    ps2Shmups.jpg

Switch
    switchShmups.jpg

shmups360.jpg

Is it any wonder I have diffs getting my next 1CC.....
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Solid collection
  • Wel jel

I got rid of all but 360 onwards. :(
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I've got a copy of Gunbird 2 in my Dreamcast stash. I'd still love to actually play Radiant Silvergun one day.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'd like Battle Garegga for Saturn but apart from that I'm pretty well satisfied Saturn-wise.

I'd like to upgrade PAL In The Hunt for the JP-equivalent.

Strikers 1945 are missing. May get those at some point.

I have a physical copy of Mushihimesama pre-ordered for Switch, and if DDP-DFK gets a physical release I'd get that too as it has BL-Arrange which the 360 port is missing.

Megadrive MUSHI is a repro as it's ludicrously priced. A few more MD games would be nice but, as with MUSHI, they are silly prices nowadays.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I just spotted Fantasy Zone for the PS2. Is that a straight port, or is it tweaked in any way?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Has a straight up port plus a tweaked game with touched up graphics and a different shop. The boss fights are into the screen affairs. Very nice.

There's a challenge mode that i havent delved into that much.

Theres a 2nd FZ game in the same Sega Ages series that has all the console ports and is more expensive but I wasn't interested in that really. Already have the excellent MD version and not interested in knobbled old early ports.

The Saturn port is a straight up arcade recreation but has nice extras like the level 1 soundtrack set to Japanese lyrics with a karaoke option. :)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Has a straight up port plus a tweaked game with touched up graphics and a different shop. The boss fights are into the screen affairs.

That sounds epic. I sank endless hours into Fantasy Zone on Master System when I was a nipper, and was delighted to find it's also included on PC Engine mini.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The SMS port is loved by many but I never had that console.  You should really check out Super Fantasy Zone on Megadrive. It's superb.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    You should really check out Super Fantasy Zone on Megadrive. It's superb.

Noted.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Oh mint, I shall watch that with gusto.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
  • The Boy was interested so he is playing Esp RA.DE! In Super Easy, doing alright.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nice.

Futari's Novice is another shout. I really wish auto bomb was optional though as it would provide a better stepping stone to Normal. With it on, it's just a bit too easy.
  • Heh, the Boy is now playing Ketsui!  Isn't it nice when your offspring like what you like?!

Is Mushi Futari on 360 regon free?  I can't remember.  My PAL 360 is set up in his room so I could test it out.  Just have to dig the game out from the back of the cupboard/cabinet.
  • PlatinumGames are the best so hopefully this will be good:

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/01/sol-cresta-launches-february-22
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Heh, the Boy is now playing Ketsui!  Isn't it nice when your offspring like what you like?! Is Mushi Futari on 360 regon free?  I can't remember.  My PAL 360 is set up in his room so I could test it out.  Just have to dig the game out from the back of the cupboard/cabinet.

It is indeed.  Jeez - Ketsui. There's a game that takes no prisoners. :)   

Those Cave soundtracks are an asset - really add to the enjoyment.  Ketsui and Futari's boss fight tunes are superb.

Sol Cresta looks tasty.
  • Sol Cresta physical edition is up for preorder via LRG. Would love the OST by Koshiro (not even sure if it’s any good though), but it’s way too much with too much other tat.

Gonna go for standard on PS4.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Layer Section/Galactic Attack getting a release. But the talk is it's another Cotton hatchet job using a Saturn emulator. These games deserve better treatment.
  • Wish I read up on Cotton before splurging on it. It’s a bit… meh.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Never played Cotton games but they have a good reputation.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I ordered a new MD cartridge from Limited Run several months ago. Was a pre-order. It the MD version of Darius Extra Version coded by M2. Is an enhanced version of the game that appears on the JP MD mini.

It arrived between Christmas and New Year. Gorgeous game. Truly great port. But it crashed. And kept crashing. The demo ran OK, the boss rush mode was OK. The main game crashed usually in level 2. Sometime in level 1. My MD runs everything I throw at it - US,PAL,JP,repros.

Returned it and Limited Run refunded me the postage, and sent me another copy. Every worse. The game crashes in the demo or within a few seconds of starting to play.

Fuck it. Starting to think it's my console but I've no other MD to eliminate it. Think I may have to give up on this. Such a pity as it's a great port from what I have seen of it. :(

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!