I Wanna Get It On With Jahbulon : The Shmups/STG Thread
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    After dicking about with that Darius cart on the Megadrive to see if I could get it working (even wedged the cart in against the connectors using some card in case the slot was too loose for it), I spent some time with Zero Wing, MUSHA and Space Invaders 91. Haven't spent any time with the old MD in a long time. Zero Wing is very nice. It has a really nice clean unfussy look and manages to be harder than it should be with a minimum of bullets on screen. Some of the later levels have large sprites getting chucked about and there is very little in the way of slowdown. Impressive stuff.

MUSHA is a repro I picked up for £20 a few years ago and I haven't spent anywhere near enough time with it. Plenty going on. SI91 is a guilty pleasure of mine - it throws some nice ideas into the classic SI gameplay and I like it quite a bit.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Man, I'm listening to the DDP DFK soundtrack while working and I so badly want to stop right now and boot up the game.  GIVE ME A SCREEN FULL OF GOOOOOOOOOOOOLD
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh. DFK is a monster of a game. Its the pinnacle of manic. I don't know why Cave bothered with background graphics! So much content in the ports too. Crazy number of ways to play.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Man, I'm listening to the DDP DFK soundtrack while working and I so badly want to stop right now and boot up the game.  GIVE ME A SCREEN FULL OF GOOOOOOOOOOOOLD

Is that the Arrange soundtrack CD that came with the 360 game?
  • No I bought it because I prefer original tracks and not arranged.  I must have bought it.  There's one of those CD spines inside (I tend to keep them).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The PAL 360 version comes with a 2nd disc with an arranged soundtrack. You must have bought the original soundtrack or was it with the JP version?
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    Did I ever post a picture of the DDP ship I built a few months ago?
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Was just talking with my buddy and it was 20 years ago this year we moved into a house for college in the City we live in. Was also 20 years ago I got Ikaruga on the 'Cube... Fuckin' hell like, 20 years!

Ugh.
  • Time flies!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Questor wrote:
    Did I ever post a picture of the DDP ship I built a few months ago?

NO! Please do so. :)
  • I remember being in my final term of final year at uni when it came out on GC. Had a 24” Panasonic TV in my flat (shared with friends) which I used to rotate on its side! Glorious times.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Speedhaak wrote:
    Was just talking with my buddy and it was 20 years ago this year we moved into a house for college in the City we live in. Was also 20 years ago I got Ikaruga on the 'Cube... Fuckin' hell like, 20 years! Ugh.

Apparantly MAME is 30 years old now..  

!!!!!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    So, after a lot of flitting about I'm starting to play regularly again.

Got back on the Layer Section treadmill last night and things weren't as bad as they could have been. Since beating this game using the Saturn port's 4 credits I've decided to adapt a strategy of setting a target of 3 credits and moving toward the 1CC that way.  Was getting to mid way of level 6 on 1 credit (7 level game) when I was playing regularly.

I've got back into Mushihimesama too this last week or so after getting the Novice 1CC last year. Playing on Normal now and got a level 4 run last night (it's a 5 level game). I know what to do in the first 3 levels so there is no reason why I shouldn't be no missing them or getting to level 4 for 1 life loss at most. Just need more practice. Level 4 introduces some enemies with rather nasty bullet spreads and the final section prior to the boss consists of a series of large snake like enemies that need taken out by destroying their tail section - it's not unlike the laser wheel section of DFK though not as nasty. As is usual with Cave, things crank up during level 3 with the last couple of levels being where the meat of the action is at and require really tight routing. Levels 4 and 5 will require some focus using practice mode if I'm to make any progress.

Playing 2 games is an experiment that may not work (I might find myself reaching for Mushi's bombs in Layer Section for example). I'm going to see how that goes. I'm hoping playing 2 games will keep things fresh for me.
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    RoFzWrN.jpg

bw3F1ox.jpg

Rubbish pictures but the ship looks pretty good I thought.
    All custom paint job, though based on the colour of the plastic kit. The red/pink is a colour shift paint, you can kinda see the effect a little bit, though it looks heaps better in person
  • Nice!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Sweet Lord, I say!...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Cave could print money if they released more of those models covering all their DDP games and Ketsui alone.

This has me imagining a set of Parodius character models.
  • Speedhaak wrote:
    Was just talking with my buddy and it was 20 years ago this year we moved into a house for college in the City we live in. Was also 20 years ago I got Ikaruga on the 'Cube... Fuckin' hell like, 20 years!

Ugh.

Just shy of 13 years since the SF IV console release. So many friends made because of that game.
  • Aw yeah.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    SFIV is 13 years old?

Jeez....there was me late getting a 360 and SFIV Ultimate Edition or whatever it's called thinking I was somewhere near being up to date.  :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nice little Mushi run to the level 4 boss tonight. Had a life spare too. Bollocksed it up of course.

Getting back into the swing of Layer Section too. Almost getting to level 6 with my first credit. Wasting my 2nd credit and then getting into the final level with 1 or 2 lives of the last credit.  Level 6 is key to this 1CC.
  • Battle Garegga has taken the top spot again off Ketsui over at the shmups forum.
  • Ok, couldn’t resist. Bought Sol Cresta. It’s alright so far. Formation changes and docking is a bit fiddly but might get used to it. No idea if there is an optimum scoring technique or mechanic yet. Just seems to be old school “just shoot everything” style rather than any complex systems.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Battle Garegga has taken the top spot again off Ketsui over at the shmups forum.

That rank management/suicide/1up related love affair counts for an awful lot over there. I often wonder if it was a fluke that the rank and 1up scheme apparantly work so well together. It isn't a game I've put much time in on.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Why did I not know Tempest 4000 was on Steam?

Bought. Splendid. I'm an original Tempest and T2K lover although the interia in this will take a bit of getting used to. The Inertia in the original was grand as it had a spinner - using the stick or a dpad is a different proposition altogether. Still, I like to throw money at Minter once in a while. Reminds me I have the XBL version of Space Giraffe.
  • There is a brake trigger, and there is a hacked version with spinner support.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Ok...a brake eh?  Spinner would be nice. Surprised Minter didn't build it in.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Reminds me I have the XBL version of Space Giraffe.

But I thought I was the only person who bought Space Giraffe.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Nope. I did too and liked it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I enjoyed it but I was buying too many games at that point so it didn't get the attention it deserves.

Mushi is really getting its hooks into me now. Have tried a couple of credits in Maniac mode and it's more enjoyable and managable in the early levels that I thought it would. I also sampled Arrange and 1.5 modes over the weekend which are very pleasing to play. You can't fault the content in this port.  Have a physical copy pre-ordered for Switch as I like to have as many console based games as I can get.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!