Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Thanks Davy, it is without doubt the most difficult video game thing I've ever bashed my head against.

I don't know what I'll play next, probably try Dangun Feveron or Garegga as I have them on PS4 and have barely touched either. I've 1cc'd Mushi Futari original with Reco and I'm not sure I want to dig the 360 out. M2 PS4 port pls, for everything.

It's no miss, no bomb and 120m, very easy to make the score requirement because you get decent end of stage bonuses from all the lives and bombs you're not using.
    1st loop is usually ok until the Stage 4 boss, where randomness can make it tough. Goes both ways though and sometimes a boss will move so high off the screen that the bullets don't spawn.
    The start of 2-2 looks crazy but it's really consistent, second half not so much but I just force myself to chuck the bombs because dying with 6 bombs is a crushing mental blow. I actually find it harder to use the bombs because you spend so much time playing the first loop and avoiding pressing that button at all costs. I tend to mash it a bit during the loop transition just to remind myself.
    Pleased with Stage 4, especially the two big ships at the end which usually require a bomb, just managed to get the bullet cancel in time.
    It was a poor TLB fight but yeah the 2-5 boss fight went quite well. Although the patterns in the TLB's final phase were a bit mean, most of my mistakes came from nerves. Easy to see where I should've moved now I see the footage but tunnel vision and shaky hands were in full effect.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh. The gaps always look big and obvious in playback. PS4 looks a great platform for shmups. Have to agree there.

Steam is getting better too but I like physical copies. Playing Mushi on Steam but have a physical copy on preorder for Switch as reviews read well for that port.

Garegga might be a good pick for a change of strategy as it's all about rank management...... suiciding to keep the mental rank down as much as possible. The 1up scheme makes it a balancing act.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Reminder to myself to watch that vid when I'm back from holiday. Congrats and huge props, Dubs. Put your feet up and have a beer for an evening.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Zero Gunner 2 on Steam for £5. Would be rude not too so there's another bloody game on my pile of shame.

The controls are interesting. Felt weird to begin with but you soon adapt.

I got this after playing Mushi like an effing panda. I've clocked 30hrs up on it.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Reminder to myself to watch that vid when I'm back from holiday. Congrats and huge props, Dubs. Put your feet up and have a beer for an evening.

Watched the vid, fucking props Dubs, phenomenal achievement. Not sure many folks in the world would've done that let alone UK. Top tier.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    nick_md wrote:
    Reminder to myself to watch that vid when I'm back from holiday. Congrats and huge props, Dubs. Put your feet up and have a beer for an evening.
    Watched the vid, fucking props Dubs, phenomenal achievement. Not sure many folks in the world would've done that let alone UK. Top tier.

Yep. I suspect there aren't many Western shmup players who have achieved that. Beasts like Jaimers have done it too but they are the elite.  Top tier stuff. The only guys above that are the WR holders and their rivals.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Thank you my friends. I think I'll try to clear it with a slightly better score just so I can get a 2ALL on the PS4 leaderboard.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    And so it continues.....    :)

Still plugging away at Mushi. Frustrating as apart from the last bit of level 5 and the boss, I have figured out my routes and what is needed. Can implement each section but just can't put it all together in 1 run. :) That's the joy of the genre of course.

Have been going back to some real oldies over the weekend after getting a Capcom compilation for my JP-PS2.  1942, Exed Exes and Gunsmoke - all really pretty tough and unforgiving. It takes a while to adjust to the style of play after being with more modern bullet hell games.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Level 4 boss run tonight. Just getting smoother at the bosses and making less mistakes now. Level 3 used to be terrifying but I can handle it pretty well and am annoyed if I take a hit.  Have been playing with a rotated monitor this last couple of weeks - makes those gaps look a bit bigger. :)  Took a wee while to adjust as things feel faster.

I've begun to start a session with a couple of runs of Maniac mode. Can get to level 3 of that. It makes going back to Original feel easier. The enemy patterns are the same so it doesn't hit my route memory. Maniac feels a lot more fun - I'm hoping to get Original out of way soon and get stuck into it.

Got a Hori Stick for PS1/2. I already have a stick for PS games but it's a mini HORI and as nice as it is, it's just a bit small for me.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Level 5 run tonight. Got past the level 5 mid boss for the first time. But I was a bit lucky as I don't really know lvl5 all that well. The first half of level 5 isn't as hard as lvl4 or 3 though - you don't really need a strict route - just remembering the big cancels is key (though I wasted 2 lives early on just being sloppy).  

I no-missed the first 3 levels and made 2 really silly mistakes in level 4 - should have been a no-miss to level 5 really..... Getting to level 5 with 3 lives though. If I can keep this up then the 1CC is close. :)

Need to get some lvl5 practice in now.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    That's the most Japanese thing I've ever seen.

Talking of 1CC, I'm getting competent-ish at Gradius II. Having said that, I don't know how many stages there are so maybe I'm shite. Anywho, I'm abusing the save states on the PC Engine mini so I can practice individual levels.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Gradius games are long-ish. Around 7/8 levels or so. Individual stage practice is the modern way. How anyone ever beat games like Mushi , DDP or Ketsui in an arcade is beyond me - especially those games with a 2nd loop or something like Ultra mode.
  • Dat music! <3

I love Davy’s dedication to the genre.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Gradius games are long-ish. Around 7/8 levels or so.

Ah, fuck. I'm probably only halfway or so, then.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    After a weekend of drinking and no playing I returned to Mushi again yesterday. Got another no-miss run up to level 4 but then folded like a house of cards.  :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Got to level 5 with 3 lives. Blew it with 2 cheap deaths before even getting to the mid boss. Sigh.

Watched a no miss 1cc...revealed a hidden 1up in level 3 but it would require some reworking of my level 3 route. It will have to wait!!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    ...and another run to level 5 with 3 lives. Spent the rest of the evening practicing level 5.. :)
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Dubs wrote:
    Thank you my friends. I think I'll try to clear it with a slightly better score just so I can get a 2ALL on the PS4 leaderboard.

I did this!  Second half of 2-5 gets silly.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    On the boards then? Sweet. Nice jump in score...+45m

You must hear that OST in your head quite a bit!!
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    21st on PS4 leaderboard, my score isn't good though, barely over half the WR. Happy with it though, especially getting through the loop 2 descent/elevator unscathed. I rarely manage that, even in practice.

Doom's second phase music pops into my head pretty often, yes :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Diminishing returns though isn't it? Once you are at that level....unless you are super into scoring runs....  1CCs are enough for me.  :)   Pretty sure once I do Original Mushi I'll tackle Maniac instead of score chasing.

I went back to Darius Gaiden after getting the 1CC until I got a no miss run, and there's plenty of alternative routes. I'll go back to that at some point.

I also keep playing with the idea of going back to Raiden III at normal or arcade level because it has a level based score attack mode. Breaks the challenge down nicely. But that bullet speed and slow ship speed means too much memorisation for it to be enjoyable perhaps.

Too many games I haven't 1CCed that I want to though.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Metal Jesus takes on the Egret II mini.

tl;dw - It's good. But it's not exactly cheap, the paddle controller isn't great, and the unit itself is very picky about the USB power supply you use.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye. Heard about the power issue. One of those things I'd love to have bought for me but wouldn't shell out for myself.  I'd really only get one for the paddle games as I have Taito Legends for PS2 with a decent arcade stick.

The paddle - the twat wasn't even using it properly. You are supposed to hold from above using all fingers.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    @Dubs

Nice little series of jinks at 40:40. Final boss patterns are mad but you have great economy of movement there.
  • Decided to buy Darius Burst on PS4 because it was (is) on sale.

Fun game.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Darius getting a lot of love presently off the back of the M2 releases. I always liked Gaiden but Burst looks nice too.  I got a physical copy of G-Darius for Switch but it hasn't had much play as yet.
  • Do SHMUPS on Switch let you play with the screen vertically where appropriate?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Just checked Burst on Amazon and I saw Raiden IV available for Switch. So picked that up. I have it on Steam (got it dirt cheap for £5 or something) but I hate having digital only.  Raiden IV has a pile of content. This has a new remix of the soundtrack which I don't really care about but nice to have I suppose.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Do SHMUPS on Switch let you play with the screen vertically where appropriate?

From what I have read most of them do. Pretty close to being a mandatory requirement if playing undocked.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Don't forget the FlipGrip!

b2254608c34dfcf231b65321b68f6715.jpg?1529911793

Nintendo Life review.

Mildly old list of compatible games.

Bear in mind that it doesn't work with the OLED model because the two units are slightly different sizes, but there's a new version on the way.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!