I Wanna Get It On With Jahbulon : The Shmups/STG Thread
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Just got notification that the physical copy of Mushi for Switch I ordered is to be dispatched soon.

So I can annoy myself on this game downstairs as well as upstairs in the game room. :)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Like when my brother asked why I bought the Quake remaster on the Switch when I had it on Steam already... Mate, Quake on the bus, innit.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Back at Mushi then (on Steam - the Switch game hasn't arrived yet).

I've been using Maniac to start a session which makes switching to Original feel a lot easier. Have been able to get to level 3 of Maniac without really committing.

I've started to regularly get to the end of level 3 of Original without losing a life and then screwing up trying to get the 1UP. The bullets must be moving a bit faster because of the no miss rank which screws up my timing.

My real weakness , apart from making stupid mistakes over and over - and not playing regularly enough - is the last part of level 5 - the final run up to the final boss. Still haven't got a proper route down for that.

Also toying with v1.5 and it's really enjoyable - is good to play at the end of a session. Because the enemy waves themselves are different it feels really fresh.  Have got to the last level of that in Original on 1 credit too - but I have no consistency with it as I'm only really playing it casually. There's an optional max mode in v1.5 which is even crazier - it increases your firepower but it makes enemies fire a lot more too :)   But the bullet speed is slower in v1.5 so that helps me out quite a bit.
  • Top work, Davy. Your updates are always much appreciated.
  • I finally got around to playing Team Ladybug's excellent Drainus. I'd heard it described as a mashup between Gradius, Rayforce, and Schildmaid, and yeah that's about right. It looks great, plays beautifully, and has difficulty options that make it a real easy pick up and play for just about anyone.

Frequent use of your shield to absorb energy fire and return it as homing shots is key here, and while there are no bombs as such, a limited ammo power shot is able to cancel both energy and physical bullets. There's also a cool RPG-lite system for unlocking and upgrading weapons and whatnot that you can access at any time in-game. Hell, even the story, while very short and simple, is surprisingly decent for a shmup and even manages to work the second loop into proceedings in a way that feels entirely natural. 

So yeah, if you're looking for an good update to an old-school, non-bullet hell, horizontal shmup that's accommodating to all skill levels and have access to a PC - give Drainus a go.

Trailer: 

Bullet Heaven's typically excellent review is worth a watch if the trailer caught your attention and you want a proper in-depth look. 

• Just found out that the next episode of Bullet Heaven will be Mudprints' last one ever! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

This has honestly rocked me. Ed and Dae have been at this since 2009 and this series has been my go-to for reviews and discovering new games for an age. It looks like burnout has played a significant role in the decision, and Ed has mentioned that he felt the BH has needed a refresh for a while. Thankfully Mudprints isn't going to disappear as they do have ideas they wanna try outside of the review format, but they aren't gonna be entirely shmup based. 

Whatever they do, good luck to 'em.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Its a great channel. Shame that. At least there's a fine batch of reviews available that they published over the years.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Drainus looks splendid but I'm not biting until I get some more 1CCs done. :)
  • That's probably a good idea. I wasn't gonna bite on Drainus just yet either but my willpower deserted me on the last day of the Steam sale and I grabbed about a dozen indie/doujin shumps that had caught my interest. Quite when I'm gonna get around to giving them all a fair go is anyone's guess.
  • Actually, I have also played a little bit of Star Hunter DX from 1CC Games (the indie peeps behind the brilliant Space Moth,) and came away suitably impressed. Synthwave visuals and soundtrack meet Espgaluda-inspired scoring in a side-scrolling danmaku that takes no prisoners. 

I think that'll be the next new shmup I put time into. Until it makes me cry and I bail. 

Seriously, I know I've said it before but horis have been on a roll the last few years thanks to the likes of Drainus, Star Hunter DX, Schildmaid, Natsuki Chronicles, and the utterly sublime Rolling Gunner. All well worth checking out. Especially Rolling Gunner, which is a must-play.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Current backlog (ie/ games I've been actively playing and want to get some closure with before getting into more)

I've still have to get the Layer Section monkey off my back. (level6 runs there - out of 7 levels)   Level 6 is a real back breaker of a level. So many hours practicing it with save states.

When I get the Mushi Original clear , there will be a couple of modes I'll want to clear there too.  (v1.5 and Arrange. Maybe Normal Maniac). There's an Arrange mode too which I haven't touched apart from a couple of casual credits.

Got to the final boss of Samurai Aces a few times - just missing the 1-ALL on that. (A 2-ALL Psikyo is probably beyond me).

I've been able to get to the last level of Arcade mode DFK which I know is an easier 1CC with the right ship selection. Want that done too. 

Then there's a 1-ALL of DDP. I think that's going to be a tough one for me though - my best has been a run to level 5. 

Futari - which I'm hoping might be less of a big gulp when I get Mushi cleared. Best I managed on Futari Original was past the mid boss of level 4 - but there's a long way to go there too.

That's just the games I have played seriously over the previous few years. Have a big pile of shame consisting of games I really want to get stuck into like RSG, Game Paradise, Muchi Much Pork, Gradius, Espgaluda etc. 

Fancy tackling some of the Raidens but I might be just too old for those. I've managed Raiden III but only on easy - III's ship speed is cripplingly slow. I've messed about with IV and I think that might be managable with the faster ship speed.
  • Oh wow, yeah you have some time commitment there.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have a route for Mushi's level 5 figured out now. Can no miss the level using one bomb. The lvl 5 boss still needs some practice though.

My physical copy for Switch arrived today but no chance to boot it up and try it out - tomorrow. :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Got to try the Switch port. Just a few credits but it looks great. Have only played with the 8bitdo pad but control seems solid. Feels just like the steam version. No leaderboards though.
  • Can't find the thread folks we're on about Progear. That's the sets of 10 games in the Stadium Collection vol 1 with a third off on the Xbox store this week. A shade over 8 quid each.

Check your respective platforms. Maybe the same there!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Think that was the Switch thread - was involved in that too.

Pro Gear and Gigawing are the shmup picks from Stadium 1. The other games in that collection have been part of Capcom Collections since the 32bit day. 

Gigawing was only ever released on Dreamcast officially before that. But it's one of the few games I've 1CCed (on MAME).
  • The pack with Progear has some banging side-scrolling beat em ups on it too. I'm tempted!
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    You can buy the games individually as well, they were £1.69 each on PS4.
  • Yeah that Pack 3 with Progear and Gigawing is great, definitely worth £8. Besides those two I grabbed 19XX, Powered Gear, Cyberbots, and Battle Circuit individually from that pack, as Dubs says. Would have bought the whole pack if it was on sale. Haven't tried any of them except Progear yet though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Genuinely close tonight. No missed up to the level 4 boss. Got to the final boss with 2 lives. Wasted one life and its bombs on an early easier pattern - and then it was always going to be a hard ask.

The rank was higher than usual at the level 4 boss and it was tough to adjust but no real excuses. Nerves. Wasted so many bombs...... :(
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    gnnnnnn..... Another last boss run. And a couple of late level 5 runs. Losing a life cheaply in level 5 is costing me the 1CC

I got an extension lead for the Switch mini Hori stick. Ran a couple of credits on Darius Gaiden. Feels nice but I need to adjust. The lead means I can sit on the couch and play Switch games. Not ideal for 1CC attempts of course - for me anyhow - as I like to sit closer to the screen - but it's still nice to have. Will give it a proper go with Mushi on Switch over the weekend.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Had some practice with the level 5 boss tonight as I want to take advantage of any opportunity that comes my way. Still haven't got it down yet but I'm close. Then tried a couple of runs - got to level 2nd half of level 5 a few times but too many silly mistakes.

Then I had a go at Maniac and chose the red ship (saw that being used in Maniac 1CC). Got my best ever Maniac run to the end of level 3. Then tried the red ship on Original and while the ship speed is lower its spread means you don't have to move as much. Its wide shot seems to generate a little more slowdown too which can be handy. No missed to level 4. Felt good but I screwed up level 4 - though I ended up getting to the level 5 mid boss with it. An interesting option - has me wondering if it's a better pick for 1CC. But I'll stick with the default ship for now.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Watched a Mushi Original 1CC just to see how folks manage the last level 5 boss pattern. Jeez - there's some arse-tightening dodges to be done if you have no bombs.  :)   Thought there might have been a clever way to avoid that!  Heh.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Electric Underground ran a nice little versus event this weekend.

Some games you don't normally see - Gun Frontier is an old Taito shmup that's fun and there's an SDOJ parallel versus run too. Presentation is rough around the edges but it's worth a look. :)

• I've been somewhat glued to Evo but I did catch a bit of Zero Ranger and Schildmaid from the torunament, good stuff. I'm not all that familiar with Gun Frontier beyond a little MAME action years ago, will check that one out. Cheers, Davy. 

Bullet Heaven's last ever episode dropped as well. They covered the Neo Geo hori, Choutetsu Brikin'ger, which again I've only played a little bit of via MAME and didn't like for reasons I don't remember. Maybe I should give it another go? After I play everything else in my backlog that is. So probably no then. 

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    NeoGeo shmups tend to be rather forgetful. There are exceptions to that of course. I always liked Prehistoric Isle in 1930 and I always fancied Viewpoint but only got to play the PS1 port which isn't accurate according to reviews.

But I suspect these modern ports/sequels are picking the best out of the library. It isn't a console I know a huge amount about. but the NeoGeo games I've played using MAME haven't overly impressed me. It seemed to be more of a 2D fighting game console.

Ironclad got a Wii VC release but it was butchered to 50Hz. I complained to Nintendo and they refunded me because it was advertised as 60Hz. I consider myself lucky with that treatment. It seemed a nice game for the limited time I tried it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I discovered Gun Frontier on one of the Taito Legends discs for PS2. AT first I dismissed it as totally generic and it has a slow ship speed which doesn't help first impressions either. But play a couple of credits and it reveals itself to be a very nice game with an interesting weapon power up system. Cinematic in its presentation too.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Was tired last night but did a few runs as I havent had a chance over the weekend and don't want to go cold. 2CCed the game but still haven't got the final boss pattern down. If I get a chance for a 1CC I'll bomb spam if I can. I'm not proud....
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    If I get a chance for a 1CC I'll bomb spam if I can. I'm not proud....

Needs must as the devil drives.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!