Documentaries Thread
  • chicken shop program on at 9 tonight. I've seen some fucking hilarious stuff in chicken shops over the years so have high expectations for carnage.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • mk64 wrote:
    chicken shop program on at 9 tonight. I've seen some fucking hilarious stuff in chicken shops over the years so have high expectations for carnage.

Haha, YES. Been looking forward to watching this.
    Twitter: Andy_Wharton | PSN: thehumantarget86 | Xbox Live: humantarget86 | Steam: thehumantarget
  • As for documentaries, I re-watched Beyond The Mat. If you like wrestling or not it's still a great documentary.
    Twitter: Andy_Wharton | PSN: thehumantarget86 | Xbox Live: humantarget86 | Steam: thehumantarget
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I watched Gladiator Days last night:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0359332/

Interesting and somewhat brutal.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    As for documentaries, I re-watched Beyond The Mat. If you like wrestling or not it's still a great documentary.
    Yeah, great choice to have Mick Foley as on of the main focuses.

Some of the Jake Roberts stuff was tough to watch though. Made me wonder if The Wrestler was based, at least in part, on him.

• Cosby wrote:
    As for documentaries, I re-watched Beyond The Mat. If you like wrestling or not it's still a great documentary.
    Yeah, great choice to have Mick Foley as on of the main focuses. Some of the Jake Roberts stuff was tough to watch though. Made me wonder if The Wrestler was based, at least in part, on him.

Yeah, I agree. I'd say it must have been based on his life somewhat.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    @DS The subject matter alone sounds pretty grim. On that note, The Cove, about dolphin hunting in Japan, is a hard to watch doc. Well worth it though.

Another good sports documentary is Fire in Babylon.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1727790/

EDIT: And Undefeated too!
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Undefeated is mint.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Doesn't look like it but HOME should be on the list.

http://www.youtube.com/movie/home-english-with-subtitles

edit: Trailer:

"Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • HOME looks interesting. Why can't people upload a fucking video correctly?
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Home is really good, it has some beautiful scenes, really vivid. It's just sequences of mostly aerial shots and then there's narration in context to what can be seen. It can be enjoyed like an inverted Koyaanisqatsi but instead it is more about what the aural than the ocular. Aurally, in terms of spoken word delivering facts, albeit some debatable facts which might not be as solid as they sound.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Got this to watch:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2111478/

Looks a good un.
  • Chicken shop docu is funny
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Haha infernos! That's the meat market!!
  • Thanks Gonz, I just finished number two and it is alarming and saddening that I said out loud, exactly in time, along with the audio the very last words of the show "...and psychopaths".
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Working my way through this awesome series - some great footage. I have the boxset but it seems to have been youtubed.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • One of the 30 For 30 ones, Unguarded. Fucking brilliant.
  • Child of our time back on the beeb.
  • Something from Nothing: The Art of Rap

Fantastic documentary from Ice T that looks into what makes up hip-hop and how artists create their raps. He interviews a lot of rappers from past to present, underground to mainstream, and asks them how they feel about hip-hop, what make them start emceeing, and how they create their songs.

As a fan of hip-hop I really enjoyed this, but as a documentary it is just very well put together and thought out. Ice has a great rapport with all the guys, as they clearly respect what he's done and who he is. He is able to discuss it with them as he's been there, and it comes across as guys exchanging stories rather than a documentary maker with an agenda, if that makes sense.

Highly recommended.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Def Con docu was and wasn't as expected.

Interesting contrast between when it was filmed, DEFCON 20 (2012) and this years the other week. Post PRISM and injunction on car hacking.
  • That looks great. Will read it fully later.
  • It's a brilliant read.

cheers chump

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Deffo's one for the Sunday Ditch thread. Next time.

Good watches too, though I couldn't get through all the media as they wouldn't all connect and I was very aware that the text was long so if I refreshed it and wasn't put back where I was I might waste a lot of time, plus he more or less summed up the video in the text from what I saw.

I really liked docu about Ruled By Machines(?) or whatever it was called, Curtis again. He's done plenty more true. But this is certainly a good read- no doubt you'd have to put a fair whack into watching and reading everything; about 5 vids for me didn't work and it was quite a time investment. I think it's only post Savile that Curtis is able to produce works that shame British institutions. The Cold War era was really used against citizens and it was largely made up!

On iplayer there's Alan Whicker's Lifelong Journey, or something similar that I caught a few years ago, it was a bit fascinating and a google showed it's on ebay for 3quid plus P&P. Probably worth grabbing.
  • Does anyone else read those in his voice now?

Loved that clip about council-estate weegie crews.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Does anyone else read those in his voice now?
    Yes.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message

Ah it's on youtube.

I still need to hit them clips, I missed that one. And yes, too easy to recall his voice.
  • I'm just watching a HBO documentary about the rape of Nanking by the Japanese. 
    Staggering and I am sorry but I don't begrudge a single Chinese survivor their continuing hatred and mistrust of the Japanese.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    The excellent Requiem for Detroit? is on the iPlayer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00rkm3y/Requiem_for_Detroit/
  • Watched that a couple of nights ago, really was very good.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!