Resident Evil
  • 3 remake is a bit more gung-ho afaik. Are the Revelations games no good? They're often on sale.
  • Finished this last night - overall took about 9hrs 30m, which seems in line with most people. Have thoughts about it, here they are for those that are interested:

Spoiler:
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Nice write up that.

Good to know about the pacing and fov issues, both two things I don't like at all. (Maybe others mentioned them as well, but I mostly skimmed through the thread).

At some point I want to figure out what Resident Evil is all about, think that whenever I find the time for it I'll go 2Remake, maybe 4, maybe 8. 8 just looks so good, I really like the character design I've seen off it.
    And probably 7 if I have to believe the people in the previous page.
  • 2 Remake is the best one to try, imo. It’s a really nice update on a classic that manages to maintain the feel of the original while bringing it into the modern age.
  • Finished this last night - overall took about 9hrs 30m, which seems in line with most people. Have thoughts about it, here they are for those that are interested:

Spoiler:

I can’t really disagree with your perspective on the game, because it’s your perspective. You’ve also articulated why you feel that way very well. I think perhaps where we differ is that I really liked 7, so 8 was also a solid game for me and I enjoyed it overall.

However, you’ll rarely find me down on a title - if I’m playing it, and I see it through (like I do with most games), I’ve enjoyed it. That could be because I’m picky about what I play, or maybe I’m just not very critical of what I’m playing - with the sense of escapism disconnecting my judgement in some way.
  • Yeah - there's clearly a lot of great stuff in there. Can fully see that clicking with someone and them enjoying it much more than I did. I feel bad being so harsh on it, especially as it'll clearly be liked and loved by a lot of players, such as yourself.
  • I'm similar to Syph, I don't play many new games at all these days so when I buy one, I tend to just enjoy it as it's a rare thing for me.

I really enjoyed all my time with this Resi, so much so that I've picked up 7 to jump into over the bank holiday.
    Spoiler:
    I'm actually considering a second run through after I finish 7.

A thoroughly enjoyable mid-high 7 for me although I can certainly see the complaints from others are valid, I'm just easy to please these days I think.
  • It’s clearly a beautifully made game, Nick - wouldn't put you down as liking it due to being “easy to please”. It’s a great game, but it’ll also be utter Marmite, I suspect.

Enjoyed reading your thoughts.
  • Ah yeah I enjoyed your breakdown too :)
  • nick_md wrote:
    Ah yeah I enjoyed your breakdown too :)

<3

Will say, though, that I was ready to throw down when you said what your least favourite part was, but then all was good. 

Agree with you on what the actual weakest part was overall - while I have issues with the beginning I think I actually agree with you now, even though that section had some real moments of vile beauty and a super cool antagonist.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    That's Village completed then. As is usual for a Resident Evil game, the last section was trash but the rest of it more than made up for it, especially the second section. It seemed to be a kind of best of Resident Evil. A bit of 7, a lot of 4, some of 2, and a good bit of 1. I think this is just the type of game I really enjoy spending my time on - plenty of exploration and weighty combat that's more satisfying than challenging.
  • I loved it, my goty for sure although that's out of about 3 games or so. The part I hated the most playing at the time has proven to be the most memorable part of the game, it was really well done. I was thinking about playing again today but then I also bought 7 after finishing 8 so I should play that.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Which part was the bit you hated?
  • Spoiler:
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Oh yeah, that was my favourite part. I'd love to see more of that in the series.
  • Haha just finished the second part of RE8 (village)

What the fuck.
  • Playing RE rev2 and it's actually quite good. Classic RE gameplay but now with better coop gameplay. It's basically CV2 (whatsinaaname eh?) with the perks system from 6. At the final chapter now and it's been quite the rollercoaster. Should've been playing soulblazer instead of this but got sidetracked lol.

Definitely feels like Capcom split the ip into 2 series; one plays like classic RE (revelations) and the other is a more modern take (current RE mainline series) with a fp viewpoint.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Finished the game. I actually only played it on casual because i died early on and the game decided I was shit. It’s not a lie so I thought why not.

I think overall it’s kind of a pleasant game but it ceases to be engaging in the fighting (okay casual mode) but walking back and forth to collect gubbins is too slow and ponderous.

The real highlight was the second level but even then looking back the best bit about it was that it had some guts to be different. I’m not sure it was really that good (can anyone say the puzzles were worth a dime?) the last bit was a cool horror show, but luckily I’d spotted something earlier and it was a bit of a breeze - there wasn’t any tension in what I had to do.

I don’t think I could be bothered with any of the goodie characters and I think there was only fun in the baddies.
    Spoiler:

It felt a bit like a modular resident evil - lads fuck off and make four mini Resident Evil 1s and come back afterwards. None of it has to fit together because we have magical mould to do whatever we want. Maybe there is some thematic resonance between the characters
    Spoiler:
    but I’m not sure that’s there.

I think I sort of agree with some of the points Cinty makes but I think there’s too much money in there for it to be a six (it’s much more than a cruis n blast., for example).
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    You're right that it's 4 or 5 mini Resident Evils, but I think it's all the better for it. Maybe there's a theme connecting them but really I didn't see one, they seen to be just 4 different styles of game. As usual the story is typical RE cod, something to just hold things together. Anyway, definitely one of my goty.
  • Just bought this. Will start tonight after the kids and wife have gone to bed.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Resident Evil 4 Remake now available to pre-download via Xbox app now. Still a couple of weeks off of course but no harm in being ready.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    Resident Evil 4 Remake now available to pre-download via Xbox app now. Still a couple of weeks off of course but no harm in being ready.

Waiting to see what the VR content is for 4 first. 8 is stupidly good, despite me not liking the base game at launch.
  • That’s one of the things drawing me towards PSVR2, but I’ve played through 8 3 or 4 times already. I hope the VR content for 4 is big news and not just some side content.
  • You’d have to imagine, with 7 and 8 already converted, there’s some baked in VR into their engine. They shifted 8 to third person, so I’d expect RE4 to be easily shifted to first person, then VR.
  • If the entire game is VR then I’ll pick up the PSVR headset as there’ll be a few things I’m interested in. Just not sure with it this close to release and them not saying anything aside from VR content.
  • I'm looking forward to this but like all Resident Evil games I'll wait and pick it up for under £20 in a few months
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    If the entire game is VR then I’ll pick up the PSVR headset as there’ll be a few things I’m interested in. Just not sure with it this close to release and them not saying anything aside from VR content.

I don’t think it will be day one. I think it’ll be with the inevitable DLC, as they did with 8 (saw the third person mode).
  • They’ve defo confirmed that the whole game will be playable in VR, haven’t heard if that’s at launch though which is fast approaching.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Resi 4 Remake demo up on consoles and Steam. 11gig no time limit.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!