Gigs
  • Massive creative insularity as a mode is as intolerable or great as its produce in the end. Sometimes we get miracles.

When the output sucks ass, it's myopic and onanistic. When the output owns, it's focus, self-confidence and determination.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Would cut a man to see Swans
    @regmcfly . You do know they're playing here?

http://www.liverpoolsoundcity.co.uk/home/swans
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Is a fucking Friday too. Could be a goer. Cheers man.
  • Went to see "God's Pee" (GY!BE) last night. Easily up there with the best I've ever seen, although it's difficult to compare them to something like Future of the Left for obvious reasons. They had a projectionist manning 4 projectors, it was a joy to watch him do his work and a damn sight more interesting than preprogrammed digital wizardry.

Glasgow is lucky in the fact that the O2 ABC has a stunning sound system, no matter how loud stuff gets you're still able to pick apart every individual instrument's contribution. I don't even know what two of the songs they played were, although I've a hunch one was a rearrangement of Moya from Slow Riot. Mladic was the real bruiser of the set, the build up was fucking monumental, sadly the crazy distortion solo doesn't quite transfer live, doesn't matter though because it's all so pompously massive.

New album transferred itself ito an even leaner version of Behemoth when performed live, knew we were in for a great when the snare drum snap that leads in the song felt like a gunshot going off next to my ear. Again, it's almost improbably grandiose but they carry it off without a hitch, nothing outstayed it's welcome either, they manage to make 25 minute long sonic sieges more dynamic than most 4 minute pop ballads. If they ever tour again I'm dropping everything to see them.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Wot Temps sed.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Post-mortem on Sound City then - while the move away from the venues (and cathedrals) of Liverpool city centre to the new site at Bramley-Moore Dock allows much bigger artists to play to much bigger audiences (the sheer pomp and bombast of Flaming Lips was indeed something to behold) I'm torn as to whether it worked or not.  Its turned it into a 'proper festival' with all that entails - overpriced beer and portaloo ques galore. 

The big draw was supposed to be the Docks themselves, and while the new Baltic stage was very impressive, the smaller stages were squeezed too close to each other, with sonic bleed from rival tents battling to be heard.

The state of the ground around the main Atlantic Stage was like fucking ground zero too, and there was scant opportunity to sit down anywhere, unless you fancied lying on rubble.  A few more creative solutions to seating / chill out areas would have helped.

But I should really stop moaning - it was great to see Stealing Sheep and Unknown Mortal Orchestra again.  It's the line-up that matters, and in this regard its what will pull me back next year, if they can top this:

CFwzNWIXIAACivl.jpg:medium
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Got Manics THB round 2 next Saturday
  • Forgot to say that Young Fathers at the Kazimier recently was absolutely amazing.  First time I've been to a 'rap concert' before.  If you get an opportunity to see them live, don't fucking hesitate, they really are top bill. 

Pity the Kazimier is due to the close at the end of this year.  If you're 'Pool bound, be sure to check it out while you get the chance.  Always love the way the bands descend directly onto the stage from a little wooden stair case.  It's a lovely little venue really and I'll miss it loads when it goes.
  • Went to see Californian punk rock band Versus The World last night. Alone as fucking always, except it worked out ok because I ended up having a drink with the band after their (amazing) set. So much energy and intensity every time they play, no matter what kind of crowd they're playing in front of, and even when the sound engineer fucks shit up. Some of the coolest, most chill dudes I've ever met to boot. Love seeing them live, and wish they played the UK more often.
  • Just found out that the mighty Thee Oh Sees are playing All Tomorrows Parties in Prestatyn this November. But all the 2 berth chalets are sold out :( If there are any Badgers out there who'd want to make up a foursome, do let me know.

This line-up is lookin' well tasty:

11817206_10152940214331576_9037144796567407457_n.png?oh=6b0e7d8036aef5cbe12c729c10390188&oe=56593269

• Jeez that's some Hot Dick right there, but I can't afford it. Hope you sort something out though.
  • First time I've seen a poster for a music event and I haven't heard of one single act on the entire bill.

help the aged

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Blank Mass had some songs in the Danny Boyle Olympic ceremony, so you might have unknowingly heard them. Natalie Prass is an interesting pick for that gig. There's a lot of jarring, sonically mixed stuff in there. Hopefully she's back to back with Pharmakon for maximum juxtaposition.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Is Death that old thrash band? I know them and Blanck Mass and that's about it. What a festival!
  • AHA! It was Blank Mass that did the rather lovely Sundowner with The London Symphony Orchestra, which I do actually own.

there's hope yet

g.man
  • Reckon Built to Spill would be decent live. Quite liked the Micah P Hinson album from last year.
  • I must confess I'm only aware of Thee Oh Sees, Courtney Barnett, Jessica Pratt and Viet Cong myself.  Due to the unique way in which ATP is curated, it always gets the more obscure acts but I'd gladly pay silly money just to see Oh Sees. 

This lot are just phenomenal

Courtney's a lovely Australian lady getting plaudits galore:

Jessica Pratt is at times like a other-worldly Carpenters:

And Viet Cong do a nice line in Canadian alt rock:

• I wanna link Prass too because I dunno what it is about her, but I love it. It's not my kinda thing at all, but there's something there that I'm just all over. She's like a Disney singer whose got tired about singing about Princesses. 

• g.man wrote:
    First time I've seen a poster for a music event and I haven't heard of one single act on the entire bill. help the aged g.man

I'm fairly confident none of them are real bands g.
  • Heh. Anyhoo, I'm watching some shit movie about angels with guns at the mo, but I'll listen to those vids later.

cheers fellas

g.man
  • Also the brilliant Braids

• Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    So are Death actually Death then?
  • I think so? Either them or that megabig metal band.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Somehow they don't seem to fit into that line up.
  • ATP can be quite random because it's invitational, it'll be curated by a specific person and they will invite all sorts of folks. But it is more likely to be the protopunk Death, I agree.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Autechre made my mates missus faint through sheer bass/noise/beep overload at ATP about 12 years ago. Was fun.
  • I have some of their albums somewhere.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Me too. I'm too old for it now, gives me brain ache.
  • Heh. Pretty much
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I was scrolling and wanted to like so many posts then realised it's not Facebook. On topic pop punk legends Teenage Bottlerocket are coming to the UK this month, I'm happy to be back down south but a mate is hosting them in Derby with one of the best line ups I've ever seen, might go back for it, bottlerocket, wonk unit, bangers and consumed, sounds amaze
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!