Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I don't even like The Charlatans and I know 5 of those songs.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    I don't even like The Charlatans and I know 5 of those songs.

I was a big fan from 95-01, when they put out 4 fantastic albums in a row. They went downhill after that, but they still put on a hell of a show. I’ve not been interested in their last 20 years of albums, but I’ll always go and see them live.

x
  • Charlatans seem to just constantly show up with tour dates.
    The next generation doesn't start until MAG comes out. 

PSN: Naemuckle
    STEAM: Naemuckle
  • Elvana. First gig I've been to since 2019. Nirvana tribute band fronted by an Elvis impersonator. From Newcastle. Had a good night but I can't say I understood the fervent fanbase. I've seen a couple of my favourite bands play to similar sized crowds at the same venue. Good to see a few mates I don't see regularly but as a lazy man I think the pub would've been preferable.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    4 years today since the best gig of my life, LCD Soundsystem, SWG3, 600 people, reg grem tempy gav.

What an experience.

However I have The Smile on Wednesday and I'm super excited.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I have the Smile on Sunday. I too am excited.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    I saw Bad Religion in Barcelona last week, somehow the first time I've seen them live. It was an open air gig in the central square of a restored architectural museum so had a particularly special feel for the first live show in over two years. Very much looking forward to seeing Drug Church next month now.
  • Christ, I last saw them in Academy 2 in Manchester, which is the equivalent of your school assembly hall.
  • Bad Religion are a great live band. Never too prideful to play the hits.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Yeah, it's pretty much an entire set of bangers.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    4 years today since the best gig of my life, LCD Soundsystem, SWG3, 600 people, reg grem tempy gav.

What an experience.

I still think about that gig and still get bad that Flora didn't get that extra ticket. What a day.

IMG-6550.jpg
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Reg looks so happy in that photo
  • I’m going to shop the three of them into every picture I take from now on. :D
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Anyone down to see Liam Gallagher at Knebworth.
    The next generation doesn't start until MAG comes out. 

PSN: Naemuckle
    STEAM: Naemuckle
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:

What an experience.

I still think about that gig and still get bad that Flora didn't get that extra ticket. What a day.

IMG-6550.jpg

She's still bitter. Best gig of my life.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The Smile tonight!!
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Enjoy!

Let me know if Thom repeats his deconstructed wailing guitar heroics from Sunday.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Run the Jewels were absolutely superb, which isn’t very surprising. What is surprising is that tonight was their first headline show since they released RTJ4. What a weird time we’re living through.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Run the Jewels were absolutely superb, which isn’t very surprising. What is surprising is that tonight was their first headline show since they released RTJ4. What a weird time we’re living through.

Tomorrow night for me - my first time at the Barrowlands in over 20 years.
  • I went to see Elbow in Scarborough on Saturday night.  To be honest, I wasn’t wildly looking forward to it - my wife had booked it ages ago in a fit of grabbing gig tickets once things re-opened, and whilst I was definitely a fan of some of Elbow’s older records (Leaders of the Free World era) I was also feeling pretty tired from a very full on week.

(In fact, I was considerably more looking forward to the fact that we’d agreed to meet up with the one and only @Unlikely en route, which was, indeed, the highlight of the day.)

All of which is to set the scene for me not being all that excited about standing in the heat on a Saturday night to see a band I wasn’t that sure I was bothered about.  When Guy Garvey first dutifully emerged two thoughts struck me.  The first was that he now looks uncannily like David Bellamy, and the second was that with his now slightly floppy hair, and penchant for pointing to admiring audience members every 3 minutes, there was also just a slight whiff of a benevolent Trump about him.

Still, my indifference lasted about 10 minutes. It always helps when they play your favourite song, of course, and with a “here’s a really old one” they tipped into “Station Approach” and my brain immediately relaxed. I have a huge, slightly inexplicable, love of that song and the fatigue fell away, and I allowed myself to get swept up into the glorious mass hysteria that’s created by 1000s of people singing together.  The night pretty much continued in the same vein. Garvey’s always an entertaining front man, and he was on predictably good form - and as the night went on it became difficult to tell whether the audience, or the band, were most delighted with how things were playing out.  (Another pleasing form of alchemy that seems to happen at the best gigs.)  

They ended on One Day Like This, because of course they did, with the audience singing the chorus to the warm night air long after the gig had actually finished…

(As an aside, Scarborough Open Air Theatre is a bloody lovely venue - so long as the weather’s good.  Most outdoor venues seem to lose the sound to the sky, but here the acoustics were surprisingly amazing. And you can go the beach afterwards…)
  • :)
  • Saw Black Country, New Road at the Connect Festival in Edinburgh on Sunday - I absolutely love all of the music they've released and would have loved to see it performed live. However, since the singer had a breakdown and left, they've sworn not to perform any of the music he had a hand in creating.

Which put me in the unique (for me) position of going to see a band that I love performing all new, unreleased material. I needn't have worried because everything they played in their 45 minute set was stunning, more so because they only released their second album in February this year - 4 days after Isaac Wood left. So how do you replace a singer who brought such fragility, vulnerability, honesty and humour to the band? For BC,NR you don't - you just let everybody else take turns.

With only the drummer and one of the guitarists not taking lead vocals during the set, what you get is a real range of vocal styles which superbly complement the eclectic range of post-rock sounds created by some of the most talented musicians I've seen on a stage for a long time. Sitting in the sun on an afternoon, watching and listening to them effortlessly create those incredible soundscapes is one of the best live experiences I've had in years.
  • What shall we come out to?

*confused looks*

Only joking, of course its The Specials.
  • Who were you seeing Dante?
  • The Interrupters, supported by The Skints and The Bar Stool Preachers.
  • I like The Interrupters. I presume they were good?
  • @Gremill Good to hear that BCNR are still a force to be reckoned with. Was lucky enough to see them twice whilst Issac was still there, but couldn't stomach even listening to their new album, knowing I'd never get to hear it live.

Spreading vocal duties across the band seems a sensible move. How do you replace a talent like Isaac? Answer: you don't.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • g.man wrote:
    I like The Interrupters. I presume they were good?

Yeah, they were really good. They're a proper entertaining party band. Played a good mix of all albums, was expecting more from the new one, so that was nice. 

They also played a cover which the internet informs me is a Billy Eilish song. Didn't do anything for me, but the room seemed to enjoy it.
  • Cool. :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!