Country Music
  • Thing that really made me chuckle, when I first got into playing guitar proper like, was realising that simply the way notes are arranged on the board when standard tuned helps explain a lot of basic blues musical tropes.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The blues boxes.
  • Yeah, I mean it isn't complicated. Can understand why Bob Fripp and that wanted to come up with new tuning sets to break people out of habits and ruts.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I do love those two string leads by Berry and the like. Happily play them all day.
  • I'm not sure how to define these guys, blues? folk? jazz? country?, but they are my current faves. - The Wood Brothers

The full set of this performance is here - all awesome.

Special mention goes to Jano Rix, their percussionist / drummer / backing vocalist who plays a pretty cool thing called a Shuitar (pronounced Shit-ar!) I'm gonna build me one.

• Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Shitar. That's what I play!
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    You are a git.
  • Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    That's the one.
  • Voodoo: The Wood Brothers stuff was good (particularly Atlas).  I'll keep an eye out on Amazon.  The vocals remind me of The Tallest Man on Earth slightly, especially on Postcards From Hell.

• Toe-tapping, in-through-the-back-door-of-movie-soundtracks country:

• Kernowgaz wrote:
    I like Alt country , with some of my fav bands being Uncle Tupelo , Wilco , Lucinda Williams and particularly Ryan Adams but he tends to release too much . Will link some clips later if you'd like ?

I have a borderline obsession with DRA. 

Don't get much better than this...

Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

love the little flourish at 2'12''

.....and is there anything more iconic when it comes to country than this?

more bluegrass than country but any excuse for this.....
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Plenty of room for bluegrass in here.  Steve can play, that's for sure - epic performances all round, Ryan Adams included. . 

Gotta love Dolly's pipes:

Edit: Just bought Ashes and Fire, as I've watched that Jools Holland performance three times now.
  • A little obvious maybe but the Pulp Fiction soundtrack introduced me to these two crackers:

...especially love the Maria McKee number, man she belts out a tune.
  • Love Lonesome Town.  There's a decent version on the excellent Stubbs The Zombie soundtrack.  I never played the game but there are some great covers of 50s/60s (and one 30s) hits on there.

Don't forget this one:

• Indeed! Such a cracking soundtrack through and through.

Don't know why I didn't think of this before, but my country itches these days usually get scratched by Nashville Skyline:

...the whole album's great, probably one of my favourite Dylan albums these days.
  • I've got pretty much everything Dylan's ever officially released on cd (apart from the rather expensive 'Dylan' from 1973 and the crazily expensive third disk of Tell Tale Signs), but I've got to admit I've never been overly enamoured with Nashville Skyline.  I think it's decent, I appreciate what he did and I love certain tracks (including Peggy Day), but bizarrely I've never quite got it.  I know I'm in the minority.  John Wesley Harding is at least twice as good, for me.
  • aye JWH's a cracking album, have that on LP (well, nicked it from my dad). Haven't listened to it for ages (maybe I should) but in my memory it's more of a subdued country effort, it being just Bob, a bassist and a drummer, I think, then Nashville Skyline is like a balls deep country affair with session musicians and all the trimmings. Plus I think it's got a much more overtly country sound, although again that's probably down to the session artists. My favourite Dylan albums change all the time though, or at least rotate from the usual 8 or so. My current go-to Dylan album is Blood on the Tracks.
  • Blood on the Tracks, Highway 61 Revisited and Love & Theft are always neck and neck as my go-to Dylan albums, with Bringing it all Back Home, Bootleg Series Vols I-III and JWH never far behind.
  • Never heard Love & Theft, will check that out, cheers!
  • Fans of Ryan Adams should check out Jason Isbell's recent album, Southeastern.  Best known for being an ex Driveby Truckers guitarist/songwriter, he's been plugging away at his solo career for a while, with mixed results (some genuinely superb tracks on mostly inconsistent albums), but this is an excellent record imo. 

• Ps4:MrSpock1980J     XBL-360: Jadgey      
    Things are looking up for my penis.
  • Neil Young isn't really country is he. Anyway I feel like learning Cinnamon Girl.
  • Cash and Jennings classic

• I should devote some time to Jim O'Rourke.  I have Insignificance and The Visitor, but haven't clicked with them thus far. 

Love the Cash/Jennings duet.  Bit of a throwaway this one (featuring re-recorded vocals from Cash in 2001 though), but a toe-tapper nonetheless:

• Being going pretty hard on the country this year.  I like Hank 3, here he is singing a Hank 1 song, love it

Ashamed to admit to my friends that my favourite album this year is The Stand In by Caitlin Rose.  I pretend it is Yeezus by Kanye West.  I love this song too.  It is a cover of a song by The Felice Brothers.  I was unaware of this before linking this youtube video right now.  I checked it out, it seems fine but I prefer the cover, probably due to familiarity, who knows.  There's 1 rude F word in it BTW

This is my favourite song of Caitlin's.  It too is a cover, this time of Fleetwood Mac.  Again, I was unaware, but at least this time I've heard of the original band before.  This is real pretty.

Langhorne slim, I like his first album which is mostly yelling country music and folk, with backing vocals a little too loud that make his dodgy recording equipment go fuzzy.  his other stuff is more polished and probably better but i like this more.  the album version of this has badass fuzzed out harmonicas but i can't find it online.  still cool but.

in tasmania they don't let you graduate primary school until you can do a slim dusty song on guitar in front of assembly without buggering up.  as it should be.

When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • I've got three Hank III albums now.  Apparently his live shows are a sight to behold (any artist who starts a chorus with "I'm here to put the dick in Dixie, and the c*** back in country" is obviously approaching the genre in a slightly unorthodox fashion) .  I've also got Own Side Now and The Stand-in, but I've got to admit I haven't clicked with Caitlin Rose yet....it's nice, but I'm not there yet.  Sometimes it does take me a while though.  I don't know the other two artists but I like what I heard, especially Slim Dusty.  In fact it's brilliant, and I'll be buying an album soon. 

You might like Eilen Jewell, who flits between a rock 'n roll/country sound.  Jerry Miller is a wonderful guitarist.  I saw her live earlier in the year and I left the show slightly in love with her. 

I've also been listening to Southestern, which is Jason Isbell's latest solo album.  I'm so pleased he's finally recorded a full album of excellent songs, rather than a patchy effort with two or three oustanding tracks (as is his wont), as I think he's one of the best lyricists in the business.  It's his drying out/detox album, after his wife and Ryan Adams checked him into rehab, and good luck to him.  Album of the year for me so far. 

Got to post this too, love these two:

Also thanks to JRPC for Ashes and Fire further up the page, which is now my favourite Ryan Adams track by a country mile.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!