Just completed
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I gave up on Prey after a jump scare that left me feeling annoyed.

Was it in
    Spoiler:
    by any chance? If so, that was a frustrating part, because I didn’t expect it and I lost precious health, etc.

You have to play it like a pc game and quick save all the time. The world they built is aces though.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    No, it wasn’t. Some sort of office room.

The game mostly reminded me how much I don’t care for horror.
  • Sustained tension in those games gets tiresome for sure. Horror games have no place being long.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Titanfall 2 (PC)

Picked up in a Steam sale because it made EDGE's list of games of the (last) generation. Absolutely stellar stuff, bar some story-telling weirdness*. It's a real shame that we probably won't get a Titanfall 3, but will still be getting new Call of Duties until the heat-death of the universe. I believe in the business this is called 'pulling a Firefly'.

Spoiler:

Wondering if I should try out the multiplayer.

[9]
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Oh, and when did it become a trope that morally-bankrupt mercenaries have a South African accent?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Was that a South African accent?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    A Monster's Expedition (PC)

Superb puzzler.  Absolutely top tier IMO - the perfect level combo of simple core mechanic + excellently paced incremental complexity of levels introducing more tricks as they go.  I've hit the credits, there's a fair chunk of optional stuff to go.  It's an easy [9], I think the only reason I'm not going even higher is the complexity of the map which - although charming in many ways - slightly daunts me being completionist as it's very unclear which islands I've not finished / what optional routes I can take next etc.  (I suspect that's actually just more layers of genius puzzle design, but it's largely making my brain hurt atm...))
  • Well, I went back to Rime. It plays really well on the PS5 with a more consistent framerate than my PC.

The smoother framerate coupled with the knowledge from completing it on PC before made this a slightly more enjoyable experience. Still don't like it - camera is too slow, character moves too slowly, puzzles are really simple, camera randomly jumps 45 degrees for no reason which is annoying when you are close to an edge, character's climbing jump action doesn't always trigger correctly, some fixed camera angles that make jumping harder, and button prompts that popup before they can be used in the game.

Reason for posting is just to highlight how much better this plays with a solid 60 fps. If you've tried to play this on a PS4 it's going to feel like a completely different game.
  • I played on PS4, it was clearly struggling in numerous places.  Glad I never attempted to suffer the Switch version.  Found myself nodding at most of your complaints but I enjoyed it overall.
  • TLOU2 - just wow
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Almost collected my thoughts 
    Sometimes a piece of art transcends its medium and its wrong to pigeon hole it as “just” a great book/film/painting/photo/record etc - that’s how I feel about TLOU2 as it truly pushes the art form forward like a Ulysses or a White Light/White Heat.
    A 10 doesn’t feel sufficient.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Just finished Batman Arkham Knight for the second time on NG+. Really loved playing through it again, although as everyone says the tank missions got a bit samey after a while. I'll miss soaring through Gotham and kicking seven bells out of random thugs and all of the brilliant nods to the DC universe. Looking forward to Gotham Knights.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Finished the Sonic the Hedgehog in Minecraft DLC. Provided a solid few hours of anniversary fun. It was a little bit janky, as you'd expect an official 'Sonic in Minecraft' mod pack to be, but at the same time once you get familiarised with it, it plays surprisingly well and is faithful to the original games. It's a pretty complete self-contained experience, you get three main levels and an achievement list to complete, with unlockable characters and a full set of Chaos Emeralds to collect. I paid slightly less than £7 worth of Minecraft bucks for it and it just about hit the value for money threshold for me. Kinda tempted by the Star Wars pack now...
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Space Jam Legacy.

Err well that was short.
    Decent enough arcade brawler. Up to 3 player at once. It has a nice mechanic where a basketball is always on hand to use as a projectile or charge for a powerful shot. There are 3 characters Bugs, LOL and LeBron. Not much separates the 3 in terms of gameplay, unique animations but nothing as diverse as SoR characters.
    Special moves are character cards each doing something different. Taz is like calling the cops in SoR1, Tweetie a strength boost, Roadrunner speed boost and so on.

Graphics. OK I get going for a 16bit style and all the but it looks pretty ropey in places. They could have still done 16bit style but better than this.

Its so short though. Maybe 90 minutes tops probably less. There is a hard mode and a boss rush mode but thats it.

This is the Game Pass prerelease alpha thing so not sure if more levels are to be added in the final release. In its current form I would say dont pay more than a quid for it. Obviously those on GP can just download and play.
  • Did not know this was a thing, will play.
  • Its not in the normal Game Pass bit. You have to claim it in the Perks section.
  • AM2R v1.5

Superb remake of metroid2 and on par with the fantastic reimagining of metroid (zero mission) on the GBA. Apparently the project lead (Dr.M) landed a job at Moon Studios (Ori Dev) due to his impressive work on AM2R and rightfully so.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Looks like more of a shooter than the rest to me. Nice graffix and the zoomed out view gets a thumbs up.
  • Metroid games are not straight forward shooters. Some of the environmental puzzles are devious contraptions and serious headscratchers. Getting items to 100 (120?)% can take some time.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Space Jam Legacy.

Err well that was short.
    Decent enough arcade brawler. Up to 3 player at once. It has a nice mechanic where a basketball is always on hand to use as a projectile or charge for a powerful shot. There are 3 characters Bugs, LOL and LeBron. Not much separates the 3 in terms of gameplay, unique animations but nothing as diverse as SoR characters.
    Special moves are character cards each doing something different. Taz is like calling the cops in SoR1, Tweetie a strength boost, Roadrunner speed boost and so on.

Graphics. OK I get going for a 16bit style and all the but it looks pretty ropey in places. They could have still done 16bit style but better than this.

Its so short though. Maybe 90 minutes tops probably less. There is a hard mode and a boss rush mode but thats it.

This is the Game Pass prerelease alpha thing so not sure if more levels are to be added in the final release. In its current form I would say dont pay more than a quid for it. Obviously those on GP can just download and play.

I played it for about 5 minutes and thought it was shite
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • hunk wrote:
    Metroid games are not straight forward shooters. Some of the environmental puzzles are devious contraptions and serious headscratchers. Getting items to 100 (120?)% can take some time.

This one looks more assured in terms of pew pew than the rest, no doubt that's just one of the many ingredients though.
  • Ratchet and Clank on the PS5 and it was fine.

Bit tough there tbf, so fine with a nice heart and a good mood.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Mario Golf adventure mode.

It was pretty turgid stuff, and felt incredibly lazy.
  • What did you make of the last boss?  I thought it was a mixture of lazy and passable up to that point but really hated the final stretch.
  • I really liked it too, Drew. It was more Ratchet and Clank and, for me, that’s a good thing. I really liked Rivet and the story was decent enough to hold the whole thing together.

Demon’s, Returnal and Ratchet are decent justification for early PS5 adoption (if you can get hold of one).
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I read a quote of "is this a game for kids" and I think it more a Pixar vibe in that it is just for everyone. Can't wait for my copy to arrive.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I enjoyed it, ended up giving it an 8. Felt the PS4 game was a little bit better.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!