Just completed
  • Omno is pretty nice and all but it’s really pretty simple and I think the declarations of profound are a little generous when it comes to the setting and narrative. I definitely enjoyed it, and well done to the one man, but still, it’s not much more than a gentle pootle around indie emoto world.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yeah feels like a [7] to me.  [8] if I'm hyper generous cos solo dev, [6] if I can't get my save back
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Enjoyed Omno (Xbox Series X) played over the last two nights. Missed one animal at the start somewhere and not going back to 100% everything. It’s Journey-like without having the emotional feeling that Journey builds to. However, props to the one man (plus composer who is adding a couple of points to this game as I felt the music was excellent) - [8]
  • I wrote my Omno review immediately after playing it. I stand by it for the most part but i was definitely emotional at the time and may have gone a bit hard :D
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    So I'm fine with it now too. Moot's words elsewhere cover my thoughts pretty well. I might stretch to a generous [7], but I was definitely glad when it was over.

At with moot, I prefer a bit more meat with my veg. Journey had never been a favourite, the picking was to simplistic, the platforming not rich enough. It was all kinda fine, but nothing more than that. And yeah story depth? Hmm...
  • It was okay, glad I saw it through.  Trying to work out what what you meant to type instead of 'picking' is more of a game than Journey.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Classic mzuz.

"The puzzling was too simplistic" I think...
  • Ah.  FWIW I quite liked Journey first time I played it, it was my attempt to like it a bit more that went spectacularly wrong.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Quake remaster on PC.

Still amazing. That final boss is a bit of a let down though.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Horizon: Zero Dawn - PS5 - 30 hours - 8/10
    After bouncing off this twice I finally decided to give a proper chance and I’m glad I did. The world, setting and main story are very well realised, supported by some stunning art design and graphics. The frame rate bump on PS5 also improved the experience of the last third of the game. The story, told as usual in little snippets of journals and voice logs slowly reveals what happened to mankind, with a slightly different take on the apocalypse that I enjoyed and the ending was suitably satisfying while leaving enough mystery to make me want to play the sequel.

The main negatives for me included; far too many things on the map and weak side quests mainly due to the  character animation, probably the biggest weakness in the game. I was able to get to the endgame with only a bit of grinding as I’d arrived at the end about 6 levels too low, but went and explored some unknown areas of the map, which was reasonably fun.

A good, solid, open world third person game that the sequel hopefully improves on.
  • It took me 17hrs. Some open world games don't mind letting you gung-ho story-hop, but HZD definitely felt like the devs didn't want you to. Feeling underpowered was one of my biggest gripes, which I assume wouldn't be the case if I'd approached it differently and explored properly. Was a 6 for me based on what I got from it.

I've been toying with the idea of replaying Mad Max at 60fps. I spotted it for £2.99 on the Xbox store recently. Hugely underrated game.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    @DrewMerson I get it and feel the same about Death Stranding. I could just keep exploring that world. But while I liked the past of HZD it was the “our village is overrun” side quests that I couldn’t be bothered with, perhaps there was more interesting stuff but I couldn’t be bothered. I may go back and do the DLC at some point as I like a snowy level or two. 30 hours feels like good enough value to me.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD

It has it's moments of greatness, but mostly I'm just happy to have it squared away. I'm ready to play something else.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Oof. I suspect those will also be my feelings when I eventually finish it though.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Zelda games are like pizza and sex. Even when they're bad, they're still pretty good*. But yeah, SS has too much padding, takes too long to get going, and is way too linear. I'd recommend it to Zelda fans, but if you're not a convert, this isn't going to be the title to make you see the light.

*I'm ignoring the CDi titles, obvs.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    Zelda games are like pizza and sex. Even when they're bad, they're still pretty good*. But yeah, SS has too much padding, takes too long to get going, and is way too linear.
    That does sound like bad sex TBH.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    That does sound like bad sex TBH.

The padding and linear stuff is what the missus calls foreplay. I call it an unnecessary part of the gameplay loop.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Florence.

Too pure. Too twee. I got a cheevo for being shit at maths.
  • Skyward Sword - HD - 30 hours

I have mixed feelings about this. I really didn’t want to go back to it around 25 hours in, but I’m trying to be good and finish things before starting new games. As Warioware and Deathloop have now arrived, I’m glad I did. I also actually enjoyed the last section too, which helped.

This was my first time with the game. I had a Wii, but had sold it before this was released. I’d got tired of the wavy waggle and Twilight Princess was a blurry mess in comparison to PS360 games, so I didn’t want another one at the time. TP is another I’d go back to try again though, if the WiiU port makes it to Switch.

I played with the stick controls and they worked fine for me. I don’t think the game always communicates well want it wants you to do combat-wise, but you eventually learn. Also the dowsing is an annoying solution to finding things in the various parts of the map.

At 30+ hours I think returning to the same areas again and again brings the game down a little. Yes, you’re seeing new parts, or the same section with a change, but it still feels limited in when coming into it after the scale of BOTW. To that end, it’s a little repetitive. Repeat boss battles stamped that feeling home too.

Reading this back, that’s mostly all the negatives, but on reflection I enjoyed my time with it overall. I can’t see how it got a 10/10 in Edge - even at release - but it is a solid Zelda adventure and that means a higher rating (say 8/10) feels about right.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    "Mixed feelings" sounds like the perfect title for a SS HD review. I'd probably bump it down to nearer 7, but that's nitpicking - everything you've said sounds exactly right. I clocked nearer 40 hours, but I got into clearing out Beedle's shop and upgrading all my gear. The upgraded bug net took a lot of the frustration out of that particular side quest.

Did it really get 10 in EDGE? Jeebus.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Golf Club: Wasterland (Series X)

Kinda quirky, liked the soundtrack / radio.  Golf game not all that though, and narrative not quite enough over the top?  Could have squeezed and [8], ends up a stingy [6], but still happy enough to have played it.
  • Can't remember what I gave it but that sounds about right to me.
  • Turns out it squeezed an [8] from me.  Hmm.  Was a laid back goodtime, but agree the golf isn't all that.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Ikenfell - Had it tentatively on my 'to play' list then Microsoft announced it was leaving Game Pass at the end of the month so decided to go for it - and after 25 hours, I've managed to finish it with all Achievements with a couple of days to spare. It's basically a JRPG-style game about mysterious goings on in a magical school, with an SRPG-inspired battle system that is also highly dependent on Mario RPG-style timing mechanisms. It also has a strong seam of LGBT theming running through it, with multiple playable non-binary and lesbian characters, though the core storyline doesn't particularly revolve around this.

I really solidly enjoyed this. It was very much like playing a classic '90s RPG (albeit with some choice modern updates). The battle system works really well and the difficulty level is really well balanced - it isn't a cakewalk (I game overed a few times) but isn't frustratingly difficult (even the most difficult optional bosses remained reasonable and enjoyable). It has just the right amount of bite. There's also a decent amount of variety with only a small number of noticeably recycled enemy designs throughout the entire game - and on your side the six playable characters are a generous amount for the size of the game with a varied range of abilities unlocking throughout.

The story is enjoyable and well-executed, the music is good and there's just the right amount of collectables to make exploring enjoyable without being overly burdensome.

It isn't absolutely perfect - occasionally in the early game the pacing can feel a bit weird with a fair bit of 'we can't get through the door to enter this dungeon so now we need to do another dungeon to unlock it', although this does settle down. The Mario RPG-based timing mechanism can also get slightly frustrating - anything but a 'Great' when attacking means your attack will be fairly worthless while anything less than a 'Great' while defending will result in losing big chunks of HP by the endgame. You can make the timings more lenient in the options menu or even make them automatically successful but in terms of the vanilla experience I would prefer it if the difference between a failed timing and a Great timing were just a bit less pronounced at the end of the game. Nothing particularly horrendous on the criticism side though and notably the kind of criticisms that you might retrospectively level at a decent RPG from the '90s.

Overall, a really solid and enjoyable RPG - I'll definitely check out the developer's future games. A good solid [8].
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ooh, maybe I should play it before it leaves gamepass, thanks for the advanced warning fella
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Max: The Curse of Brotherhood (SeX)

I basically enjoyed this, so a generous [8]. Fun mechanic, few twists on it, mix of puzzler & platformer, occasional mix of action, a decent package overall. Didn't outstay its welcome yet a reasonable amount to it. And a bit different. So yes, thumbs up basically. Think it's been out for a while but was never quite sure what it was all about (sometimes muddling with Murdered: Soul Suspect, Beyond: Two Souls, and Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons all at the same time... closest to the last of those I guess (though no twin stick stuff involved...)).
  • The Procession to Calvary

Quite funny, not overly long, very interesting stylistically...basic point and click adventure. Interface on xbox is a bit clunky at times as obviously designed for mouse control, but nothing too arduous.
    I did get stumped a couple of times and used a guide to check what i was meant to do, but if you pay enough attention then i think it's mostly fairly logical in terms of solutions.

It's on gamepass, and worth a go if point and click games aren't a big no-no for you.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Metroid: Zero Mission (GBA) - I enjoy writing these little reviews as I find them a good way of 'digesting' what I've played. I've left this one for a couple of days though. It's slightly hard to know what to say about something as foundational as the original Metroid. I really enjoyed this version of it. Given that it uses every button on the GBA, it's clear there's a bunch of additional gameplay features that weren't in the original and despite my lack of familiarity with the series, it's clear that a bunch of subsequently introduced franchise staples have been retroactively re-introduced into this (Samus bursting out into her Zero Suit when she dies seems to be one - I was under the impression that reveal was a shock twist at the end in the original). While it's hard to know what's original and what's new, it's easy to see why this is considered a classic, it's really well-designed and enjoyable to play. The spruced-up graphics look brilliant and highly detailed on the Game Boy Micro. My only complaint is that while most of the game is highly detailed pixel-art, there are some places where the graphics appear to be hand-drawn, and I found the contrast a bit jarring. Once you complete the original NES scenario, there's a new additional bit which is oriented around stealth. I don't think this bit really feels of a piece with the rest of the game, it feels like they were playing Metal Gear Solid at the time and maybe got a bit carried away. Despite this, I had a great time with it. [8], I think.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!