Pro Wrestling
  • great match, love how much of it was fought just in the ring. WWE matches always spend about 25% outside on the floor. 

Great chemistry. Great crowd.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Weird episode of dynamite this week. Some bits of it felt very wwe like. Not bad, but not exactly good. I think Miro may be the best thing in wrestling at the moment.
  • I've only got to the end of the Cody/Lee Johnson QT/Ogogo tag match and your right it's a super weird show this week.

Started weird with the bucks vs penta and Pac for reasons? I don't really mind normally but Penta is a bad guy but he wasn't in this match? Where was big Alex with his "Penta says" distractions? Bad.

Mark Henry coming out without music was weird.

And then the Cody/Lee Johnson QT/Ogogo tag match which I didn't understand but now I see it was so they could prolong the fued after having Cody win at the ppv. So it was pointless to have Cody win last weekend as we're just back where we would have been if Ogogo had won at the ppv which is absolutely a big wwe thing and it sucks
  • QT is so fucking boring
  • I dont know if anyone's been following the american indies but the former Zack Ryder turned up in GCW to wrestle genuine bank robber Nick Gage in a death match. The spot was brilliant. The crowd thought it was Moxley. You can find it on twitter.

Never saw that one coming. I saw Ryder as a WWE lifer guy who would charge high prices, do a couple of shows then fade away similar to Ryback. It's clear he loves wrestling and I'm pleased to be wrong. I see Braun as another Ryback, but do hope to be proved wrong.
  • Ryder is the biggest wrestling mark in the world, not sure how you got him so wrong.
  • Seemed more like a WWE mark, than wrestling on the whole. He’s not one of them guys that has ever mentioned he traded Misawa tapes back in the day.
  • hasn't he got that cool youtube account where he goes hunting for rare wrestling figures or is that someone else?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Ryder is proof that no matter how hard you work, Vince just might not care. He got himself over (twice I think) on his own accord, got shafted many times. Dont know if he is particularly great as a worker but he seemed more than decent. His biggest problem seems to have been he is (sigh) too much of a wrestling fan for the WWE?

Loved his winning of the IC title of Mania 32 - was a genuine feel-good moment in a promotion that so often forgets thats key to creating emotion with the fanbase.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Matt Cordona seems like a nice man so I'm glad it's going well for him.
  • mk64 wrote:
    hasn't he got that cool youtube account where he goes hunting for rare wrestling figures or is that someone else?

That's right; him and Curt Hawkins.  It was a pretty fun little show.  Not sure if he's still doing it, will have a look later tonight.

RE Braun Strowman, I know he's gone off the boil in the last few years, but that episode of Raw a while back where he kept beating up Roman Reigns in ludicrous fashion (culminating with tipping over the ambulance) was some of the funniest wrestling shit I've ever seen.  If he does want to keep wrestling I'd love to see more of that strongman tomfoolery.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Apparently Braun is charging the indie feds a fortune. Slowly heading down that Ryback route. To be fair I can see him back in the E for half the money of his last contract.
  • I think I may have just watched the best womens match I've seen. Dream Cinderalla at Stardom last night the main event produced an absolute match of the year candiadate. At times it was too much and I hope no long term injuries were sustained but it was a fucking belter. Special links can be requested via DM, but Stardom World is well worth the subscription (though the PPV stuff takes time to be put up). It's a fanstastic promotion with great characters and real upward momentum in the mid-card and fantastic main events. The low card stuff is often silly comedy but the matches are like 5 minutes so it doesn't bother me. Wrestling has left me a bit dry during the pandemic, the odd match has been spectacular but nothing feels really hot. New Japan fell off a cliff, the Rev Pro twitch stuff was hard to get into and AEW is fairly decent though winds me up sometimes. Stardoms been the constant.
  • I have been watching some classic matches lately with my brother and with my wrestling friend from Chicago. We watched Mr Perfect vs Bret Hart at Summerslam, and it is a fucking masterpiece. I think Perfect would be my choice for best talent never to win the world title in WWF or WCW. He was just incredible, and had such an influence on modern wrestling. The pace he could go at really put many of the old timers to shame. 

We also watched Ravishing Rick Rude vs Ultimate Warrior, which is one of the best examples of a great talent carrying a subpar partner to a great match. Really worth a watch.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • Thats one of Brets favourite matches. Mr Perfect, not Rude and Warrior.
  • Yes mine too. Was it 92? Had Brett on the cover of the video?

Absolute masterclass in reversals.
  • XOMuggins wrote:
    I have been watching some classic matches lately with my brother and with my wrestling friend from Chicago. We watched Mr Perfect vs Bret Hart at Summerslam, and it is a fucking masterpiece. I think Perfect would be my choice for best talent never to win the world title in WWF or WCW. He was just incredible, and had such an influence on modern wrestling. The pace he could go at really put many of the old timers to shame.  We also watched Ravishing Rick Rude vs Ultimate Warrior, which is one of the best examples of a great talent carrying a subpar partner to a great match. Really worth a watch.

Agreed on Perfect but would just say that for all the legit bashing of Warriors talents he did have some great "big" matches and while there is no doubt he was helped in those matches I think he held up his side better than some others. Hogan at Mania 6, Savage at 7, Rude at Summerslam 89 and 92 are all more than decent with the Savage match one of my fondest Golden Age WWF memories. For a guy who was all gimmick, I cant think of many with a better track record.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I definitely don't think that Warrior was the worst, but it did greatly help that he was working with masters of their craft. He had huge charisma... I mean the guy got over by simply running to the ring!
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • I never saw hacksaw as a good wrestler. Just stomped around throwing kicks and punches. Basically like today’s raw roster.
  • I'd see warrior as a much better version of the likes of Hacksaw - all gimmick and charisma (which is just as important in wrestling as work rate). But its also worth noting that back in that era, you didnt get to just go out and have a good match. The good matches were spread out between those getting the big push. We all know savage is awesome but look at some of the short stinkers he had to have with the likes of Hacksaw, Dusty etc. Would these matches be better if Savage was allowed go an extra 10 minutes or really work out the match like he did with Warrior? I think they certainly would.

I think this is why, depsite not really being allowed to shine all the time, guys like Hart, Henning and Dibease always looked so good despite these restrictions because they were all really smooth and could make the best of that 5 minute spot. 

I always felt that Henning should have had a run as Champion with the initial push because it just made sense and it would have given Hogan a unique opponent - someone smaller who could out-wrestle him instead of just another big monster. But when Hogan dumped him out so easily in the Rumble, we knew it wasn't going anywhere. Back to the mid-card Curt.
    SFV - reddave360
  • he had a few pushes iirc
  • mk64 wrote:
    he had a few pushes iirc

Mr perfect? He did but it always seemed to be just to IC level. In his first run it looked like he might be making a run at hogan (even smashed up the world title) but apart form being the last person chucked by hogan in the rumble (1990 I think?) He never got a ppv match as a headliner.

I think his only time in the main event at opv was when he teamed with savage against flair and razor Ramon?
    SFV - reddave360
  • yeah mainly as IC but he was pretty dominiant as IC over the years despite Brett declaring himself the best IC of all time
  • I think we can all agree the Honky Tonk Man was was greatest ic champ of all time.
    SFV - reddave360
  • 70e90-1535094491-800.jpg

The wonderful double J Jeff jarrett who at one point held the title more times than any other. I also met him when he was touring with the all star wrestling thing and he seemed a genuinely nice guy.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Honky Tonk Man was gash. 

Sticking with Mr Perfect, 280 day continuous reign. 

Double J get a shout
  • Kinda fun looking at the reigns on the wiki. Think jericho is the most with 9 and Honky has the longest with 454 days. Miz no slouch with 8.

I'll defend Honky as being an exceptional good chicken shit heel. Of course you won't get a good match in the work rate sense but he could really work the crowd, really good promos and he was so hateable. Perfect for his role. Sure, never going to be a main event guy but not everyone should be.

His match at Summerslam with warrior is a prime example of a great match in wrestling. I can remember seeing it with a mate as a kid before knowing the result and from Honky's grandstanding promo at the start to the warriors pop for coming down and just steam rolling Honky and then in the aftermath Honky acting like he is still in a fight. Its just a brilliant bit of wrestling.

Sure, it's not a classic match that you will rewatch but it's not meant to be and it does what it needed to perfectly.

6 stars in the Tokyo dome.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I used to fucking love Jarrett. The guy throws punches like no one in the business today. Anyway loads more WWE releases including Breezdango and twitter is going mental. They are blaming Nick Khan because they're insane because this defiantely isn't Vinces call. At all. Definately not.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!