PC gaming.
  • Nina wrote:
    And why is there no demo on steam for anno 2070, looks like something I'd love to play, but I want to see if this pc can run it properly first.

If you like the Old World then Anno 1404 is brilliant and if 2070 runs then I could sent it you in ze post if you'd like?
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    It didn't really run. It did, but it was graphic glitches galore. I also got sick of it before the game properly started, all this talk from e.v.e wasn't really interesting. I just want to manage resources and build things.

Pretty sure I would have liked it if those damn vertices stopped moving around, and there weren't any green faces problems. Made it very uncomfortable to watch.

But thanks for the offer, I'll accept if you can also send me a compatible pc tyvm.
  • The really dumb thing about multiple users of steam on the one PC is that it starts downloading demo versions of games you don't own and the other account does. Occasionally my girlfriend will play TF2 or Skyrim on my PC and it starts downloading tons of demos for games that I own and she does not and vice versa, I really hate that because you have to start pasuing downloads and it takes up hdd space with no way to stop it completely.
  • Nexx wrote:
    Has anyone tried out the DayZ mod for Arma II?  It basically looks like the type of zombie game that everyone is always asking for.  Its an online zombie survival game where the focus isn't actually on killing zombies but rather around player interaction.  So for example finding players to scavenge for supplies with, avoiding bandit players etc.  It has no respawns too so once you die you have to start over without all the equipment that you've found.

[snip]

I'm tempted to pick up Arma to give it a go but it sounds like the kind of game that would be better to play with some people you know.
    Have you had a go at this yet @Nexx?

I played the last couple of nights. (i.e. it has been night/dark in game for all the time i've played so far).

The first time I came across a guy he was being attacked and I helped him which subsequently meant he did not kill me, hung around with him for a while as we searched the town (though he wasn't communicating) and eventually got killed by getting trapped inside a building with no ammo. (and a bug that let zombies attack through doors).

Respawned and entered a different town, climbed up onto a building where there just happened to be two guys on the roof. I didn't attack them (even though I had an opportunity to kill them both as I came up behind them. The fuckers shot me in the face, lesson learnt.

Was even better when I played last night. Again, I came across a guy who was being attacked by about 10 zombies, I expended all my ammo and helped kill them off which he returned the favour by not shooting me (it's really hard to find people to trust and the Mod breeds paranoia). Anyway, continued to search the town for about 20 minutes and lost the guy i'd helped to save but found a body with tons of food, guns, ammo, flares, map, toolbox etc. I know Cheranarus pretty well from playing Arma II but the map was really useful for identifying the name of the town I was in.

With my new found supplies I decided to head North, a couple of hills and forrests later I come across a new town. I can hear gunshots so stay low as to not risk losing my supplies. I see a guy running up towards me (unsure as to if he had spotted me) but I decided to continue up north through the trees - I really don't wanna lose all the food i've scavenged. Just outside the town there is a building by the road. I'm looking down from the trees and spot a zombie at the door, i'm lining up my shot and as i'm about to take it a guy pops into my vision running along the road, there are three of them. I stay prone behind the trees letting them dispatch the zombie and thankful it is night and they went on by without seeing me, best to avoid the roads so I continue north through the forrest. About half an hour later and suddenly I notice the moon in the sky - shit, it's to the south-east, i've got turned around somewhere in the forrest.

Anyway, my characters still going but I would really love if there were other players from here playing, safety in numbers and that but also there can be times where you're doing nothing but running between towns for 20 minutes and it'd really improve the experience to have a group of people playing.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    This seems to be for Arma 2 CO, which I don't have, only the vanilla Arma 2.
  • Nice write up Pie, more here at RPS
  • I did one play through last weekend. Didn't play cautious enough and ended up getting shot in the face while I was running away from some zombies...

I'm up for playing at some point this weekend if anyone wants to give it a shot.
  • Cool, let me know when. Though I have the retail and not the steam version you can add me on steam (name same as on here) to contact me whenever. Anyone else have Combined Ops fancy giving this a go?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I may well buy the combined ops pack if people here are giving it a go. Since this seems like an MP experience like no other.

How well does Arma 2 run generally? I have the first game and it was well, quite temperamental.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Runs well on powerful pc. Not so well on anything more than a year or two old. Has some of the worst voice acting ever.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Ah. I may have to do some tweaking and crossing of fingers then. I;m guessing that having a long draw distance is quite important.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It will run, it will just be very ugly.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Ugly is good. I'm sick of good looking games bringing me down.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Ready to give dat Tribes a go.
  • Hurrah, get dat Spinfusor ready to Blue Plate a bitch once ever 10 hours of play via luck
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I didn't uninstall it. I might play.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Ah. I may have to do some tweaking and crossing of fingers then. I;m guessing that having a long draw distance is quite important.
    Not so important, 1500-2000 is more than enough for most purposes and it goes all the way up to 10,000. You'll only really notice the fog when flying or on top of a mountain and even with the best sniper rifle you'll have great trouble hitting a target at that distance. What sort of spec is your PC?

edit: Also, there's a free-to-play version if you'd like to test it out.
  • @Nexx That Day Z mode sounds amazing. Love Roguelikes and this sounds worth a punt. Will look into it later. In other news, Crusader Kings 2 is swallowing huge chunks of my time at the moment. I started a thread, but it's sunk without a trace so I won't bang on about it. Cracking game, though.
  • For those who PEE CEE my copy of L4D2 has arrived.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    You got a physical copy of a pc game. In the post?

How quaint.

More to the point L4D2 online yay. I haven't been raped on-top by a hunter player who talks about raping me in modded servers that have distance based voice chat in yonks.
    What sort of spec is your PC?

3 Gig ram, quad core 2.4ghz, Vista 32 bit and card is a Geforce 9600 GT.

Was a beast in the day. Now it's deserving of a wheelchair over the cliff send-off.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    practically an antique yes. I have 16gb of ram.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    You're intimidating me :(
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    3 Gig ram, quad core 2.4ghz, Vista 32 bit and card is a Geforce 9600 GT. Was a beast in the day. Now it's deserving of a wheelchair over the cliff send-off.
    I've got a brother who plays Arma with a similar machine, though his is only a dual core 2.5ghz, 4gb ram, same graphics card & xp - he plays at 1366x768 though. Sure you won't be able to Max out the graphics, but not very many people can.

Recommend you download the free-to-play version and testing it out for yourself (AFAIK that version can only have the medium graphics setting, so will probably look similar, maybe slightly worse, to what you can achieve with that PC).
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    You got a physical copy of a pc game. In the post?

How quaint.

I still haven't got the patch down the tubes yet so post probably worked out as fast as downloading it.
  • @vicinity_of_pie  - that sounds amazing.  Just a pity my PC would probably kick the bucket if it tried to run it.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Going to jump on dayz now if anyone else is up for meeting up on a server? Will probably try the FR1 (french one) because it's the one I used last time and it run pretty smooth. Send me a message on steam if anyone fancys getting a group together.
  • Warlock: Masters of the Arcane has just been purchased. Very Civ V like , but with minotaurs, undead armies and magic instead of the usual stuff. Early days but every time I play a game by Paradox, I am hopelessly drawn in.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Has anyone here actually built their own desktop?

I need to know websites to use and stuff to avoid, also noob moves like not enough power but I already know that one so give me other dick moves to avoid.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • Subbax wrote:
    Has anyone here actually built their own desktop? I need to know websites to use and stuff to avoid, also noob moves like not enough power but I already know that one so give me other dick moves to avoid.

Yep. Very recently.

Give me some idea on what you're looking to build it for and I'll give you a hand, OK?
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Diablo 3.

Nothing major intensive such as graphics or design of any sort. I just need something to play the current releases, won't need speakers or anything 'cause I'll headphone it. Once it's up, I can then upgrade as and when is necessary. It needs to boss at Diablo 3 though.

If I'm not mistaken Neogaf have a massive thread about building your own so I'll sneak a peek there sometime.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!