Halloween
‹ Previous123456
  • I see a bit of chat in the No Subject thread and figured it deserved a thread of its own.

I'm a bit of a Halloween weirdo.  I like the dressing up, the look, the feel, everything really.  I watch scary movies, buy pumpkins and generally release my inner child.  I always wish it was as big over here as it is in the US.

Last year I tried my hand at 'corpsing' some 50p skulls I bought from a costume shop.  The results weren't great.

Before and after:
    reJNeHX.jpg

I'm going to try again this year.  Aiming for something like this:

Anyway what's your take on all things Halloween?
  • Sponsored by outlaw.
  • My last few Haloweens have been spent in a town near to Milton Keynes called Stony Stratford. Every year the high st gets taken over by zombies on a pub crawl called "Crawl of the dead'. It is always great fun and everyone tries to one-up each other year on year.

Last year about ten of us got orange convict jump suits and went as a zombie chain gang.
  • Sometimes I use Halloween as an excuse to get gothed up but, other than that, I don't really care much for it. Still, any excuse for a party, eh?
  • Your thread title lacks something.

An apostrophe.
  • All was serene until that fateful eve...

...NIGHT OF THE EVIL UNDEAD GRAMMAR NAZI...

...in color (where available).
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    It's a perfectly valid spelling. If you're gonna Nazi, do it right
  • I wanted to start a thread but didn't think it would have enough interest for a thread of its own!

I saw some examples of people fancying up cheap decorations, was thinking of giving it a go. Is it difficult Matt?
  • Go as Global Warming.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Go as Misogyny.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    It's a perfectly valid spelling. If you're gonna Nazi, do it right
    I'm not being a Nazi.  Enough with the over-sensitivity.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Halloween has always been a bit of an event here in NI - not massive - but enough for my parents to regularly put on a family party when i was a kid. It coincides with half term which helped back in the day too - in actual fact I remember as a kid calling it the halloween break - not half term.

It seems to be bigger now though - most memorable in recent times is a Halloween party we threw a few years ago at which I got exceptionally drunk on dark rum and ginger....to the point where my brother had to take on firework launching duties while I impersonated the noise they made....the kids still talk about it.

Fireworks at home are still a novelty here as they were banned for many years for obvious reasons.

Belfast City Council usually put on a splendid fireworks display and have a bit of a family event around it. Derry/Londonderry make a big fuss of it and the city prides itself on the event - never been to that one though.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Outlaw wrote:
    I wanted to start a thread but didn't think it would have enough interest for a thread of its own! I saw some examples of people fancying up cheap decorations, was thinking of giving it a go. Is it difficult Matt?

Well when I get it right, I'll let you know!  Doing what I did there wasn't hard.  Liquid latex, tissue paper and coloured with wood stain.  I'm not very arty though, which is why I wanted to give it a go.  Further attempts were improved but still not great.  Like just about anything though it will improve will practice.

cXrIlVT.jpg

I use this guy's video as a guide.  The guy in the OP is obviously very skilled.  This guy is more of a budget prop man.

• Working in retail has killed any enthusiasm I have for any kind of holiday/event.
  • It helps burn the fires of horror for me. One particularly delighful customer this morning I'd like to have stabbed to death.
  • not been one for halloween, find it a bit naff. bam! you been told
  • Bought more Halloween bits today. Skulls! Chains! Yay!
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I miss my mates in the UK around this time of year. They'd always go all out with the costumes. People would start building the one for next year the day after the requisite bar crawl. Costume highlights included a fantastic Pyramid Head costume, complete with rusty sword to drag along behind him, and a brilliant interpretation of that geezer from Pan's Labyrinth.

Oh, and talking of Halloween/Hallowe'en, if we're going down that road we'll end up at All Hallow's Eve. No one is a grammar Nazi unless they're actually rounding people up and gassing them for putting apostrophes in the wrong place. Everyone knows what we mean by "Halloween" so let's just chillax 'n' shit, and enjoy scaring seven shades of shit out of sugar-infused sprogs.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • As my daughter is nearly two I will start making some fun for her in the years to come but never really been too into it. I have seen it really work when everyone spends loads and dresses up. I can't imagine Halloween done cheap and well. Are we gonna post pumpkin pics?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I don't know if I'm having one, it doesn't go with my theme.

Last year I bought a sweetie bowl in the shape of a skull with a light sensor thing at the back, so when you put your hand in to get sweets a skeleton hand pops out of the back as if to grab you. I was SO looking forward to scaring some kids with it but we didn't get a SINGLE trick or treater. I was so disappointed.
  • There's nothing more tragic than a lone adult in fancy dress, waiting for somekids to scare, getting more and more dejected as the night wears on as the realisation sets in that no-one gives a shit.

I went to a Halloween party last year at a mate's house.  It's a small place but it was packed.  And roasting.  I feel uncomfortable with lots of people in an intimate space even when I know them but it turns out the mutual friends weren't there yet and it was folk from his work/football team.  I only lasted 15 minutes before bailing.  

Went to my girlfriend's house.  She'd given the party a miss as she had a cold so she was lying on the couch, surrounded by tissues and blankets with me sitting next to her dressed as a zombie.  It was hard to say who looked worse.
  • Matt_82 wrote:
    There's nothing more tragic than a lone adult in fancy dress, waiting for somekids to scare, getting more and more dejected as the night wears on as the realisation sets in that no-one gives a shit.

:(
  • I can't wait to not go to any halloween parties at uni this year, it will be awesome.
  • Matt_82 wrote:
    There's nothing more tragic than a lone adult in fancy dress, waiting for somekids to scare, getting more and more dejected as the night wears on as the realisation sets in that no-one gives a shit. I went to a Halloween party last year at a mate's house.  It's a small place but it was packed.  And roasting.  I feel uncomfortable with lots of people in an intimate space even when I know them but it turns out the mutual friends weren't there yet and it was folk from his work/football team.  I only lasted 15 minutes before bailing.   Went to my girlfriend's house.  She'd given the party a miss as she had a cold so she was lying on the couch, surrounded by tissues and blankets with me sitting next to her dressed as a zombie.  It was hard to say who looked worse.

But you were a bouncer?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    As my daughter is nearly two I will start making some fun for her in the years to come but never really been too into it. I have seen it really work when everyone spends loads and dresses up. I can't imagine Halloween done cheap and well. Are we gonna post pumpkin pics?

In 1970's Northern Ireland we used turnips...can you imagine how much of a pain in the arse hollowing out a turnip would be? Fair play to my parents.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • It was turnips here until fairly recently.

But then, that's also when 'Trick or Treat' was a real choice you offered people.
  • mk64 wrote:
    But you were a bouncer?

It wasn't really an issue tbh.  I was standing outside for the most part back then and when I was inside I would be standing at the edges of the room.
  • I love this time of year.  Leaves on the trees are brown, nights are drawing in and lots to look forward to like Halloween, Guyfawkes and Chrimbo.

Plus all the wasps and flies have fucked off.

Love autumn/winter I do.
  • Bonfire Night is one of my faves. Fire, explosions and lots of food, what's not to like?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I like Halloween too. So I'll resurrect the Weird Stuff thread at some point. Get your weird experiences ready to relate.
‹ Previous123456

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!