‹ Previous123456727
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    This 'un will probably die a death but here goes anyhow.

For those of us who like a good puzzle game.

What's the best version of Tetris out there? Anyone up for online Tetris Party?

What about Puyo Puyo? Any fans? Any version out there that is considered definitive?

What about the others like Devil Dice, Wetrix, Landmaker and Kurushi? Are there any hidden gems out there that got overlooked?

What about those of us who like good old Tetrisphere?

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Peggle is the ultimate 'puzzle' game thanks, bye.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I still play Hexic HD every now and then.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    Loved Tetrisphere, especially two player.
  • Tetris isn't a puzzle.
  • Not strictly a puzzle game either, but I used to love a bit of Klax.
  • Maybe the only broad format, beyond sport sims, that doesn't piss me off on the regular. They tend to display an elegance and upfrontness that'd be easily confounded by the whole 'cinematic' total storytime immerso-entertainment thing so much of the rest of the Industry big and small insists on executing clunkily.
  • Is Angry Birds now the biggest selling videogame of all time

Have I asked this before
  • Pixel Blocked on XBLIG is a great little puzzle game. Well worth 80 points or a blast on the demo at least.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Is Angry Birds now the biggest selling videogame of all time Have I asked this before

I dont know mate.
  • I play such puzzle games here and there. I remember being hooked on 2 player Super Puyo Puyo on SNES. Haven't played any of the later iterations.

Lumines is one of my favourites, but haven't played any since the original. One of two or three games I would buy if I bought a Vita.

Oh, and I did like Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo on PSOne. Very similar to Puyp Puyo. Got it on XBLA.

The hybrid games can be fun. I thoroughly enjoyed the one on XBLA with RPG bits in it, forget what its called (Puzzle Quest?). Henry Hatsworth on DS is part puzzle game, mostly platformer.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • SpaceChem SpaceChem SpaceChem SpaceChem.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    SpaceKemp SpaceKemp SpaceKemp SpaceKemp.

AwD3jrrCIAAXH2N.jpg

Weee he's the moon.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    PuyoPuyo was awesome - I was also heavily addicted to 2p on the SNES back in the day. (Hebereke's poppoon or whatever the heck it was called)

What about Qix - that use to be awesome too. And let's not forget minesweeper - surely that's the best selling game ever!
  • I play quite a few puzzle games. I play tetris alot............................................. and have expressed my preferences in terms of tetris on a regular basis. Happy to play anyone online on pretty much any format as i'll probably own it. Would prefer items off as most item versions are cheap as fuck.

Wetrix is golden too.

Otherwise i like dr mario and bewjewlled. I have glax on my gbc. Filthy cart and not a patch on the amiga version but workable.

I find myself often trying to work out if Point and Click games are puzzle games. I think i lean towards they idea they are albeit not with fast reactions.

I dont like that hexic game.. doesn't compute with me.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I adored the N64 version of Wetrix.
    3DS: 2105-8748-8084 Switch: SW-3316-5834-8308 PSN: aynsleyw
  • I quite liked puyopuyo on my letting (called puyolin). It only had three colours which made it manageable.
  • Lumines is the ultimate for me. OG PSP version yup.

Love Slydris on iOS too.
  • I would say, in my personal opinion, that falling blocks are not puzzle games.

EDIT: Ok, maybe, they are, but the added constraint of a time limit, reflexes, etc, make it a slightly different beast.
  • Key ring ffs stupid auto correct.
  • Trainyard on iOS is a good un.
  • Do you know its impossible to win at endless Tetris? Even if you had as long as you wanted to place each piece and you played it forever you would definitely lose.

To me this means it isn't a puzzle because a puzzle can be solved.
  • Meteos is fucking brilliant. I loved that on the ds. The only think I didn't like was that it sped up so quickly that you didn't get a game longer than about 10 minutes. At least with tetris on some versions you can get a 20-30min game. The music and the sound effects on Meteos have never been bettered in a puzzle game.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • mistercrayon, i've read about that but i dont understand why not. I think it only fails when you have an infinite number of z or s pieces?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I suppose when I say puzzle games I mean in it in the loose sense - and would include the likes of Tetris and co. - even though there's a fair bit of mechanical skill in those.

Some have mentioned Lumines - while I like it I feel a single game lasts too long. I like my puzzle games to be relatively short - would rather play 4 or 5 games than one long one for some reason - not sure why.

Tetris is far more approachable but Puyo is probably the king. It's far deeper though it isn't as enjoyable in one player - you really need an opponent. Puyo Puyo 2 has loads of options and it lets you play with the ruleset that only makes you realise the default rules are the best. Puyo Pop Fever is probably the definitive version though and has a nice extra mode with chains already built for you to quickly identify and set off.

Someone also mentioned Hebereke's Popoon - well I'm going to be a bit nerdy here - popoon is a Puyo-a-like but the match 3 rule instead of 4 means it isn't as good. Popoitto is a Dr Mario variant which is quite different (and quite good actually).

Bust a Move / Puzzle Bobble is horribly addictive - though I prefer the single player mode - as versus just feels too chaotic.

Quite partial to a game of Shanghai too.

Off the top of my head I can't think of a better 3D puzzle game than Wetrix - though I'm sure someone will trump it. 3D Tetris while quite enjoyable requires too much work for me to find it enjoyable.

I like the genre because it is abstract and self-contained. No need of any "real world" references for validation. They are independant of anything - they just exist. I like that.

Also means the graphics and sounds aren't important past being clear and unobtrusive which means they age well.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    mistercrayon, i've read about that but i dont understand why not. I think it only fails when you have an infinite number of z or s pieces?

Isn't there then chat about playing long enough you'll get such a run, at which point somebody reposts with the fact it's not actually completely random (in the original at least)?

Trainyard is indeed genius. Does cut the rope count too? Any love for Polarium on DS?

The other king not mentioned so far is SOKOBAN. That should have been in my top ten...

• I'd kill for a port of Wetrix, looked ace in magazines but I never got to play it. I know they are traditionally austere but I do like puzzlers to have a bit of theme.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    PuyoPuyo was awesome - I was also heavily addicted to 2p on the SNES back in the day. (Hebereke's poppoon or whatever the heck it was called)

Super Puyo Puyo in Japan, Kirby's Avalanche in UK. I believe Herbereke's Poppoon was a completely different game.

Also, I think Puyo Puyo was released in the west on the Mega Drive as Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine.

I may be wrong about the above. My memory isn't what it used to be.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I enjoyed what I played of Puzzle Agent on ios, especially as it was free.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    mk64 wrote:
    mistercrayon, i've read about that but i dont understand why not. I think it only fails when you have an infinite number of z or s pieces?
    Isn't there then chat about playing long enough you'll get such a run, at which point somebody reposts with the fact it's not actually completely random (in the original at least)?

Yes but over INFINITY time, there will be the requisite run of S and Z pieces that cause you to lose.
  • Ok, so reaction/dexterity based puzzling still counts. I retract my statement because this:

‹ Previous123456727

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!