General Games News
  • They did a terrible job letting people know that there was a MP component, maybe they'll look at his rant as publicity.

Sadly, you probably do need MP to sell almost any shooter these days, it's got to be good though.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Watching Nintendo Direct with some guy doing live translations on Twitter. All seems pretty Japan specific.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Looks a lot like Battlefield 2142 which isn't a bad thing. Half the time I laugh in games when I hear Brit voice acting though. Like here.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I'm not sure that was acting. Developer reading lines on a sheet of paper would be closer.
  • Thats exactly what i thought too.

Anyway it looks like it has a SP campaign. The original did too but it wasnt story driven at all. It was open world and you just had to fight the other carrier over the archipelago.
    Without knowing the exact ins and outs I think I would much prefer the originals approach. I don't want characters and individual objectives in this.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Damned if you don't include multiplayer damned if you don't include singleplayer.
  • Valve confirm shift into hardware
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Valve is traditionally a software company. Open platforms like the PC and Mac are important to us, as they enable us and our partners to have a robust and direct relationship with customers. We’re frustrated by the lack of innovation in the computer hardware space though, so we’re jumping in. Even basic input, the keyboard and mouse, haven’t really changed in any meaningful way over the years. There’s a real void in the marketplace, and opportunities to create compelling user experiences are being overlooked."[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]So is this a new controller or the rumoured Steambox. Either way, it is surely a long way off - PS4/720 will have a strong headstart on any new hardware. [/font]
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    It's weird but thinking on the prospect of something to potentially replace the keyboard (or mouse + keyboard) instantly makes me feel like a grumpy old man thinking if it ain't broke don't fix it. I can swallow that though and try my hand at anything Valve creates.
  • I dont see the problem with attempting to create something with the accuracy of mouse+keyboard but the ease of use of controllers.
    Let the current PC users carry on with the traditional way but open up a new revenue stream from people such as myself who can't get to grips with M/K controls.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Not having a go but how do you not get to grips with mouse and keyboard?

Do you use alternating corners of the board to try and pick out a massive bogey?

Not having a go.
  • I end up hitting the wrong keys regularly, I cant get the muscle memory right.

I'm also quite active when I game (or as active as you can be), I'm that spaz that leans to look round corners and throws their hands every where, I look like an audience member at a Chris Rock show.

I'm not the only person who can't do it either, there is a very large market of gamers who really can't use the keyboard and mouse.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I'm not the only person who can't do it either, there is a very large market of gamers who really can't use the keyboard and mouse.

Yeah i've come to realise. Difficulty in muscle memory is an interesting one. That an age thing?
  • I find it tough too, especially during RTS games.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Yeah i've come to realise. Difficulty in muscle memory is an interesting one. That an age thing?

Dont think it is an age thing, probably more a practice thing. Finger placement on keyboards just isn't natural where as controllers are designed with finger placement in mind, therefore easier to get to grips with (pun intended).
    Let's face it a keyboard would not be the solution when designing a gaming input device from scratch.
  • There also isn't a standard control scheme, so aside from WASD, the surrounding keys could do fucking anything.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I find that a lot. Pressing CTRL to crouch and nothing happening is a pain in the tits.
  • Bending your thumb backwards to run, unless I'm doing it wrong.
  • I'm shit at m/k usage too. :(
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    There's all sorts of reasons I don't like M&K

1) bending fingers to do important things
    2) lack of analogue movement on the wasd
    3) can't sit and relax, have to hunch over a keyboard.
    4) I'm much worse than with a controller, and even if I might one day be better with M&K the sacrifice till I do isn't worth it. I want to enjoy games when I play them, not suffer so one day I might be every so slightly better.
    5) right click to aim then left click to fire. fuck. that.
  • I agree with everything except for 5 because that just seems natural.
  • I can't think of any advantage M&K has, other than cursor/crosshairs placement.
  • If you're good with hotkeys you can have a whole lot of stuff going on via the keyboard, which becomes apparent on RTS games, but other than that, it is just mouse accuracy.
  • I suppose Elite could never be satisfactorily pulled off with a controller, the actual flying would be better though. So yeah, Valve, there's your goal.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I can't even use WASD never mind the rest of the keys. A little trail of Minecraft and one of the Total War games had my left hand cramping up. 

As Live said, keyboards obviously weren't designed with playing games in mind, but there are only so many things you can do with a pad before you run out of buttons. What are the limits of voice control? I quite like the idea of selecting weapons in your space ship by shouting out Death Laser or some such shite.
  • Has already been done in ME3 with Kinect, the voice commands for weapon selection, tech power use, and squadmate order/weapons/powers also worked really well so you didn't have to keep stopping the action every 5 seconds during a firefight.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    If you're good with hotkeys you can have a whole lot of stuff going on via the keyboard, which becomes apparent on RTS games, but other than that, it is just mouse accuracy.

It used to have the advantage of being easy to chat to other players with of course. Although a bit moot now everyone uses voice chat. Not a real surprise that from my online experience between console and PC i've found only a small % of PC players use voice compared to console.
  • Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • He was grounded, and also wanted to run away with his girlfriend, 13, and have a baby, an inquest was told
    This is a much bigger issue and highlights what a clearly fucked up idea of the world this kid had more than any computer game.
  • "Earlier this year Norwegian mass killer Anders Breivik had claimed he had 'trained to kill' his 77 victims by playing the Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare game. He said it helped him 'develop target acquisition' using 'holographic' technology."

Is that true?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!