Retro Club - 8 & 16-bit puzzlers
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I beat Sonic 2 GG. Remember the glider?

I could never make the glider go very far, which is probably the reason why I dislike the game tbh. Sour grapes.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I hadn't noticed this. Forgive me for not reading the whole thread, but has this started?
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • In that case im up for Sunset Riders (SNES, as I have it on Virtual Console), Sonic 2 (GG or MS) and any of the ones I recommended.

Ill check back to see what one you all decided on, but for now im gonna go and torture myself with more Castlevania: LoS

Enjoy Ristar!
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Sonic 2 - Game Gear.

WELCOME TO HELL.

I had this on the Master System as a kid and completed it the day I got it. My mate got it on the Game Gear at the same time and we couldn't beat the first boss....

Xbox/PS3/Wii U: Enragedwhale
  • beano wrote:
    I hadn't noticed this. Forgive me for not reading the whole thread, but has this started?

Yeah, but you've got a few days until we move on (new game on the 10th I reckon).
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    James wrote:
    Sonic 2 - Game Gear. WELCOME TO HELL.
    I had this on the Master System as a kid and completed it the day I got it. My mate got it on the Game Gear at the same time and we couldn't beat the first boss....

I had it as a id and got quite far but never beat it. Memories of Fleetwood come washing back when I see it, though. Not quite sure if that's a good thing.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Syndicate

• OP updated.  Next week's game, starting Monday, is Sunset Riders, as it received three votes.  Try to put an hour or so into whichever version you fancy (Arcade, SNES, MD).
  • I would love to see some of you guys put an hour or two into Team Buddies on the PSone.

I think it is only me and one other forumite (sorry cant remember who it was) that seems to have played it.
    It is an expensive ebay purchase so would need a rom so maybe not ideal.
  • Just seeing this thread. Might give it a bash seeing as I have the MD collection.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    OP updated.  Next week's game, starting Monday, is Sunset Riders, as it received three votes.  Try to put an hour or so into whichever version you fancy (Arcade, SNES, MD).

Boo! I wanted Castlevania, lol. Oh well at least it's old skool Konami, roll on monday.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I will start on Monday with the fresh game.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • What is Sunset Riders? And how is it different to Call of Juarez?? Oh, teh pink bulletz...

More srsly, the music is amazeballs - is it better to play on Genesis or SNES?

Edit: Youtube suggests that the SNES has worse graphics but less of teh pink bulletz...
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Don't think I'll be buying this on a JAMMA board. Shame.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Right I'm deffers in for Sunset Riders...
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Ristar annoyed me too much to play for any length of time. Forgot to bring my controller in to work, so had to settle for the keyboard.
  • Completed Ristar today.  I've got mixed feelings about it.  On the one hand it was polished, fun, well designed and easy on the eye, but on the other hand I think I'd be pretty pissed off if I'd wasted a birthday pressie on it '95.  There are plenty of secrets hidden within the levels, multiple paths to traverse etc, but even as a kid I think I would have been off to find my next gaming fix as soon as the credits rolled.  The gameplay is fine, and the stretchy arm mechanic works well, but there aren't many sections I was massively impressed by.  It does get trickier towards the end, but I can't shake the opinion I formed early on; that it's kinda Dynamite Headdy for those lacking the balls to tame Treasure's classic.  Dyna-lite Headdy, tee-hee. 

At times I thought it was a victim of shoehorned variety - a level where you have to carry metronomes around to throw at singing mechanical birds is bonkers, but less enjoyable than the simple left to right stuff.  The bosses are varied, but not particularly memorable.  If it sounds like I'm being overly critical I probably am, it's a solid game with many charms, but it's light years from the true upper echelons of 16-bit platformers.  It was released in the same year as Yoshi's Island, which aside from being a better game all round is roughly 80% bigger.  Nineteen stages, including seven boss battles, is pretty lightweight for £44.99. 

If I was Richard Ledbetter I'd knock 5% off Sega Magazine's 87% and stick a 'perhaps rent it from Ritz first' disclaimer in my summary, then talk about something else, then use the phrase 'but I digress' for the third time that issue.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Good stuff.

I'm shamefully yet to start it but I have all tomorrow so may rock save states ad get it completed.
  • I rocked save states, then it crashed as I was saving, so I rocked the level select password.

Edit: Which is iloveu if anyone fancies an insta-peek at the later stages...
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    It was released in the same year as Yoshi's Island, which aside from being a better game all round is roughly 80% bigger.  Nineteen stages, including seven boss battles, is pretty lightweight for £44.99.

A bit unfair comparing it to Yoshi's Island. It's not like anyone else compares to Nintendo's platformers! 19 stages sounds fine to me, can't think of platformers other than Nintendo's that are really big.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • It's incredibly unfair to compare it to Yoshi's Island :).  Dynamite Headdy had roughly thirty stages though, not to bang on about that game in particular, but I'd say that compares to Nintendo's finest. 

Nineteen stages is pretty much par for the course with mid-90s platformers though, agreed, but playing them for the first time now makes me realise how much more value we get nowadays.  If an XBLA game costing 800 points took <100 minutes to complete people would moan their arse(s) off.  I love short games, but I can't help thinking about how much of my dad's money I wasted on stuff that offered very little value for money.  Games like Rolo to the Rescue, Kid Chameleon & Robocod had plenty of stages, but Nintendo's games had more of a sense of craftsmanship to each stage rather than just 'put those aeroplanes there, put those Penguin bars there, bosh'.
  • Sounds like a decent game moot. This thread is a great idea, looking forward to Sunset Riders next week.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Is it on the MD collection?
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I was admiring the MD box art there, thinking 'Why don't these cowboys have guns?', then noticed the SNES one. It's weird that version has the pink bullets too.
  • It isn't unfortunately, or the Virtual Console, and obviously it's too late to pick up a copy on Ebay.....but the ROMs are easily available, nudge nudge wink wink.
  • I was admiring the MD box art there, thinking 'Why don't these cowboys have guns?', then noticed the SNES one. It's weird that version has the pink bullets too.

That is weird.  It's like the SNES version of Mortal Kombat having a decapitated head/spinal cord combo on the cover.

Edit: Actually, it's not like that at all, seeing as the SNES game still has guns in it.  Just ignore me.
  • Right then,what's the best 16-bit emus on psp??
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Wouldn't MAME be an easier one to shoot for? That goes for everyone.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!