I Wanna Get It On With Jahbulon : The Shmups/STG Thread
  • playing Dodonpachi Maximum on my windows phone. 
    I bought an iTouch just for the Cave ports. Those are some of the best games this gen.

Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
    I bought an iTouch just for the Cave ports. Those are some of the best games this gen.

Disappointed that the PS3 is just not the place to be for good shmups..
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..

Disappointed that the PS3 is just not the place to be for good shmups..

Well, you have Pom Pom's Alien Zombie Mega Death and Astro Tripper, PixelJunk's Sidescroller, G-Rev's Under Defeat HD and Mamoru Kun, Super Stardust HD and a PSN Mini avilable to PS+ subbers has recently received an Edge 9.

Blame Sony and their insistance that the current gen must be 16:9 and HD for the lack of shooters on PS3. The core fans of Shumps prefer their vertical scrollers on a rotated screen or hooked up to an arcade cabinet. Sony told Cave to fuck off because their games are bordered at 16:9 ratio.
  • Love Film just dispatched Akai Katana. Get in. I'll buy it for a tenner in a few months.
  • Been playing Akai Katana :).

The main mode has a great scoring system when you get used to it, and the HD visuals are lovely, with some of the prettiest bullets I've ever been killed by. 

Really enjoying it so far despite being typically shit at it, think I'll try the other modes out now.

Lawro and Hylian will be quite familiar with this, but for those who aren't...

• Akai Katana
    Achievement: UUUURRRRGGGH  5G
    Description: Died immediately after starting the game.

Ahhh yeah!
  • Good start!
  • I can only get better :).

Right?
  • I've been playing the demo every now and again since it came out. It's brilliant, and gorgeous looking too.
  • More reasons to buy a 360...
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • Akai Katana's great. I'm not 1CCing it anytime soon, but it's very brief. Or is that just me?
  • No Lawro, it's really short. My first go still took me 9 continues though. Shameful.
  • I can't quite put my finger on why I'm a bit disappointed with Akai Katana. It looks beautiful, and the presentation is very slick, but it's so brief and lacks variety. I do appreciate an update of Progear, but it's basically the same game.
  • The brevity still catches me out, I'm playing it then... End boss!

love it though.
  • My copy of Akai Katana arrived yesterday. Only put an hour into it but it feels great. Deathsmiles consumed months of playtime and I expect this to do the same.
  • I still think it's far too short, but I've just had a few screen filling with gold moments which took away any negativity towards it. Drool.
  • I have Akai Katana now. Should be getting some good time on it this weekend.

Let's hope it clicks better than DDP:R did, as I still haven't really managed to play that properly (Unlike ESPII and Deathsmiles which were both amaze).
  • DDP doesn't click with me at all, it's OK. I just don't see the fuss. Bit meh about Espgaluda 2, also.

MMP/Pink Sweets is really worth investing in.
  • I really like Akai Katana.

That is all.
  • Akai Katana is quite brilliant and the scoring system is magnificent. Slowly getting better and managed to get 42,000,000 on Slash mode earlier. Not very good, I know, but still learning the best places to forge katanas and send them through enemies and bullets like knives through butter. Hoovering up the giant golden point discs is just so satisfying.

Edit: I don't understand the complaints about the game's length. Yes, story mode is brief but surely the whole point is about maximising your score.
  • It's brief compared to other Cave games and lacks the variety of say... Deathsmiles.
  • I love Deathsmiles, but I'm actually finding Akai Katana slightly more enjoyable. I think it's wonderful that the team at Rising Star have been releasing these cracking shooters on 360. When I was reviewing games, I always gave games published by Rising Star the lead review in my games spread to try and bring their titles to a bigger audience. They have released some quite brilliant games over the last few years. More power to em.
  • Yeah, defintely glad they're around. Cheaper games works for me.
    If they weren't I'd just buy a Japanese 360. You should throw some money at the Muchi Muchi Pork/Pink Sweets pack and Mushihimesama Futari. Some of Cave's best.
    MMP/PS £76
    Mushihimesama Futari £24
  • Have you used that website before? If so, what was the service like? Cheers.
  • They're pretty awesome and often much cheaper than Play Asia.
  • Nice one. Always great to find another reliable source for games in Japan. Cheers.
  • Yep, they carry merchandise and collectables too.
  • I played Slash for about an hour, moved over to Original, and that super clicked for me. So much infact, that when I went back to Slash, I had forgotten how it worked.
  • I'm enjoying Original so much I'm neglecting the other modes. I'll attempt to remedy that tonight.
  • Feel free to add me, anyone who wants to be above me on high-score boards: Fentonizer

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!