Factorio
‹ Previous12
  • Just got this, been meaning to for a while after hearing a lot of good things about it. I haven't much to say about it thus far, other than I can start to see why this might often get called "Cracktorio". I guess I'll add more as I go, and I think there are some experienced badgers here that could tell a tale or two.

https://www.factorio.com/

https://www.factorio.com/download-demo

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/03/07/factorio-review-early-access/

As the game seems to have pretty good support for many players in the same giant map I thought it would be cool to have a Bear and Badger server running for us to pop in and do some industry when we feel like it. I can probably set up a decent server on my machine, but ideally it would be something dedicated that can just sit there for the purpose, and I'll need to restart or have full resources for other stuff now and then. I don't have a spare machine other than my laptop which might suffice, I can try it anyway.

If anyone fancies some crazy co-op construction of fortress-factory complexes, maybe similar to some of the stuff back in the day with Minecraft, then do let me know and we can figure it out.
  • Love the game. Up for some co-op.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I'm somewhat dreading having to mess around with all the IP/port/dns stuff to get something up and running -https://wiki.factorio.com/Multiplayer

Still just moseying through the missions and stuff at the moment anyway, so no rush. I might just dive in to some free play instead of mission plod, learn by discovery and see what I can figure out with minimal info. Usually the funnest way to play most games.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    How open ended / sandbox is it? I worry overly so fit my liking, I want tight win puzzles and win states...

Edit: sounds like to separate modes? How tight are the missions I guess I mean...
  • I think the meat of the game is mostly open ended sandbox; explore and exploit your surroundings, research and implement new tech and blueprints, and defend against murderous wildlife. Quite Minecraft-esque I suppose.

The puzzle part comes from the itch to optimise the automation you create, here's some snippets from the RPS article -
    So you’ll race around, a tiny little spaceman in a huge metal factory-fortress, desperately wrenching bits of belt or misaligned arms out from the impossible circuit, trying to set up parallel paths or complex, automatic resource dividers to keep everything cleanly compartmentalised. It will be the most important thing in the world for ten minutes, these small, precise tweaks which only you could possibly understand, because you’re the one who built this fantastic contraption, and then it will be solved and you’ll forget and go off to build something else.
    – how do I make all this fit? How do I lay down this new assembly line without having to demolish everything I’d already built? How can I make sure this one belt carries the exact ratio of copper and iron that the foundries need? Even if the outcomes are essentially the same as the process which led to them, progress is not a given; it’s achieved by forethought and analysis, not simply by perseverance. This is a puzzle game as much as anything else – and consequently similar to other games such as Infinifactory, which I have not played.
    There are a few campaigns and scenarios included, but I think they are mostly to learn the concepts. There are probably community made maps that you can get for more tightly defined challenges.

BTW this this thing seems to use a crazy amount of RAM, 4-6 gigabytes when loading the thing.. Might be less with lower res sprites selected in graphics options.
  • In the context of co-op MP; you could be over in one corner of the map puzzling out the copper mining operation, you'll probably get it just perfect then the rest of us will start yelling for a greater quantity to be shipped over, or some other item to be manufactured, meaning a partial redesign. So the whole thing just never ends :P

Seemed pretty entertaining from some streams I've seen of it anyway.
  • You lot are so NOT messing with my optimised pipelines. Go away. No Homers Club.
  • I've done about 16 hours in the game, all on the campaign.  

The missions let you work out what you need to do by yourself, but to begin with that amounts to repairing partially destroyed systems and getting it up and running.  It's an effective way of showing you some of the nuances of the systems.  As you progress the broken systems become much more complex, but you can basically ignore what's already there and knock up your own, generally far inferior, version.
  • Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
    Spoiler:
  • Je-sus.

Just loaded up to see where I was at, quite early on in the mission so not much happening:
    Spoiler:
  • Yeah things can get pretty mind meltingly complex as you build up and up (especially if you're not getting to optimise and plan that much ahead of time). It's why it might be nice in co-op, someone can be the steel guy, another in charge of research, power etc.

Slightly bemused there isn't some kind of recyle plant thing in the base game, would be nice to chuck all the obsolete shit into a grinder/smelter and get the raw materials back. Looks like there's a mid though.

There is a demo of the game available which is nice - https://www.factorio.com/download-demo
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Been playing the demo, not really getting it. Is it from the 90s or something?
  • Ummm not sure what you mean exactly? It has a lot of similarities with old 'logistics' games such as Sim City and the transport tycoon stuff. I guess it's kind of a distillation of those, with the addition of an avatar with survival and minecrafty aspects.

The sorts of vast sprawling systems you end up building with it can be quite beautiful in motion, just looking at some screenshots you can some of the scope of what can be created - http://store.steampowered.com/app/427520/Factorio/
  • This is some spaghetti nonsense that I've made as I learn the ropes in free play, fully aware that it's woefully inefficient and messy, taking a certain amount of glee from it though.

mjyMWNA.png
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I meant it looks like something from the 90s, graphically.
  • I suppose. I actually quite like the aesthetic actually, it kind of has to be pixel art sprites in the way it is to be able to have such massive amounts of animated stuff on screen that runs reasonably even on low end hardware and such (I haven't tried running it on integrated graphics on a laptop, so don't know pleasantly it actually would perform). I think they've done a good job of it.

There are some options for sprite resolution in the settings, think it was medium by default, I've got mine at high. Don't know how much difference it makes.

What kind of aesthetic would you prefer then?
  • He'd no doubt be happier of it was greener.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Didn't state any preference. Just said it looked like a 90s game.
  • Getting a little more organised now. I've left much of the original mess there, just made it so it's not totally choked up and breaking. Will be working on getting some oil shipped over from a distant well, quite the distance actually.

AG0W3Ex.png

This game is amazing, a total timesink though, so I have to set aside a certain amount to give to it or I'll just get lost. Could try and set up some co-op this weekend for those that are interested.
  • Going through the demo and the enemies are annoying me.

Are enemies a major part of the game?
  • Depends. As you build up you create a lot of pollution that spreads out from your factory into the surrounding countryside, pissing off the natives who'll come to smash your stuff. Early on you can just go out with some armour and an assault rifle (grenades too perhaps) and kill the hives that pump out the enemies.

You will want to place turrets strategically around your perimeter also to dissuade them. And radars to scan and provide early warning. Later you can build cars reasonably easy which are great for venturing out further to crush the little colonies dotted around, once you've done that you should have plenty of breathing room before they start to encroach again.

It's a cycle of defence, attack/quashing, then focusing on expansion and development until pollution means things kick off again. It helps to think ahead and be prepared, I've set up assembly lines for stone walls and ammunition for example.

s62zfLb.png
  • As with everything in this game I think defence will be much less stressful with other players in co-op, many hands make light work. Someone could focus basically on tower defence full time if they wanted while the rest do their thing.
  • Ta.  Don't think it's for me.  I'm a bit of a dullard so RTSs have never been a favourite.

Back to Infinifactory for my logistical shenanigans.
  • K. I mean it's way more logistical shenanigans than RTS, think I've spent about 5% of the time dealing with the critters.
  • It’s the RT bit of RTS I don’t get on with.

I like time to think :-)
  • Aye there is that. You can pause the game by pressing shift+space, the M to go into the map, where you can zoom in to locations and spend a bit longer thinking about what you want to do.

I generally haven't felt rushed much at all, just at those times when an attack comes from somewhere and you have to act fast to make sure the defences are up to scratch. But after you've squashed the bugs under your heals it seems like you get as long as you want to faff about until your expansion causes another wave. Quite interested to see how this develops as I near end-game.
  • Alrighty then, anyone about for a trial run of the MP?
  • About to head out unfortunately.
  • Holy shit I need to get on the new artillery train!

• 1 page thread?! wtf is wrong with people.
  • I absolutely intend to come back to this, just kinda absorbed by Kenshi at the moment for gaming. Once you get stuck into this it really grabs you, there's a reason why it's often called 'Cracktorio'.
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!