Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Scout wrote:
    They confirmed it can sit vertically or horizontally.

Fair do's.

MmsER8y.jpg
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • From the wording in the blog post, i read it as that buying a game once is enough for it to work across the different machines, maybe? if so that would be nice.

I'm repeating XBLOX until the name sticks though. ;)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • poprock wrote:
    If Project xCloud is as good as everyone says

It's not. Well... xCloud might well be a very good implementation of 'cloud gaming', it seems like it's had a better reception than Stadia, but at the end of the day you will always have issues with poor input latency compared to running a game locally, also video compression will reduce overall image quality. And then there's the issue of being totally locked into the 'games as a service' thing, down with that. If they pull the plug then you're shit out of luck.

I would strongly recommend that everyone have at least some basic standards for good gameplay and go for a physical machine and games that you can actually own. Cloud stuff can be a good addition to that, for when it's convenient or necessary due to travel or something. But it's no replacement, don't let anyone kid you.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Xbox_Series_X.0.jpg

This is a really good form factor for cooling, I would expect it to be dead quiet.

Next gen machines are going to be absolutely beastly compared to the current lot, expect plenty of games to actually be able to run at or near 120FPS, mainly the CODs, Overwatch, eSportsy stuff etc. If you are going to get a new telly soon be sure to look into Freesync/Adaptive sync as an important feature.
  • … Cloud stuff can be a good addition … But it's no replacement, don't let anyone kid you.

You make a lot of good points there, but all of the technical hurdles are temporary. If things go to plan, proper 5G coverage across the UK will remove all of those barriers. Latency, compression, etc  will be reduced to practically nil. So that just leaves the question of games as a service … and I’ll not be at all surprised if things go that way anyway over the course of this console generation.

I’m not saying I like the idea of shifting to cloud gaming but looking at things long term, I reckon it’s a goer.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Seems the marketing team weren't shown the actual design when they brainstormed SexBox then...

Woof.. it certainly fills the box bit of the brief I guess?
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • poprock wrote:
    Latency, compression, etc  will be reduced to practically nil.

Definitely not, physics will continue to be a thing. Even in the best case scenario cloud services will continue to be the shittest way to play a game.

People's standards are just so shit really, convenience and cheapness always win out. It's like the shift from CRTs to LCDs; low manufacture and shipping cost and convenient form factor won out against a better display for gaming, black levels, motion blur, refresh rate, etc.

Sometimes things like input latency affect the experience subtly, the extra 30-50ms might not be immediately obvious and you can probably play games well enough, but you might come to realise it just doesn't feel right compared to playing the same thing on a good local system. So many of the titles that have had lasting popularity in gaming history have been taut, responsive 60FPS experiences. Even when you didn't know anything of FPS or frame pacing there was something you subconsciously understood that made that gameplay feel damn good.
  • But I’m literally working right now on the government’s plans to enable rollout of a wireless infrastructure that can deliver latency as low as 0.1ms on slices of spectrum specifically set aside for gaming.

I mean – I’m presenting strategy on it to group of academics in a couple of hours.
  • Anyone know how big it is? Dimensions could be key here.

I'm not actually opposed to that design, it's growing on me
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    @Poprock I wouldn’t be so sure about those 5g claims for a while.

Great video here explaining how it works, I didn’t even realise there were different levels of 5g: https://youtu.be/nmnTAOU44SI

It all feels like it’ll take quite a while to cover the UK in any reasonable way. I have a great 4g contract but I can’t even use it at home as signal is very weak and often switches back to 3G.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Anyone know how big it is? Dimensions could be key here. I'm not actually opposed to that design, it's growing on me

It's basically 3 Gamecubes sat on top of each other.

Minus the handles cos it's not portable.
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • Cooling was exactly what I thought Gurt.
    The PS5 devkit clearly needs a lot of cooling as well.

• b0r1s wrote:
    @Poprock I wouldn’t be so sure about those 5g claims for a while.

This is the sort of thing I’m working on countering. 5G isn’t just an upgrade for your mobile phone. It’s a totally different way of thinking about communication networks. It’s a much bigger deal than just your next kind of phone etc. It took a long time for me to be convinced, but I’m there now.

Phone networks are giving the wrong message by selling phones now and claiming they’re 5G or 5G ready. There’s no infrastructure yet, and won’t be until you’re another three handset generations down the line.

Scotland will be all set for rollout within two years, then it’s down to private enterprise investing and building the network. It’s going to happen within four or five years and it’ll change everything, gaming included.

You’re talking revolutions in almost every industry. Manufacturing, agriculture, healthcare, security, transport, etc. What we think now as communications and broadcast is only one little part of it.

On the consumer side, your home broadband will be finished. It’ll be replaced with a home 5G connection. No fibre or copper to your home any more. The 5G replacement will be faster, lower latency, and more reliable. You’ll end up cloud gaming over wireless anyway, even on your main TV.
  • Bob wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:
    Anyone know how big it is? Dimensions could be key here. I'm not actually opposed to that design, it's growing on me

It's basically 3 Gamecubes sat on top of each other.

Minus the handles cos it's not portable.

Blimey.
  • More like 3 times the height of the controller juidging by that picture, which is probably a bit less.
  • Someone had a thought on reddit which I'm going to steal:

What if it's this tower because the components are stacked inside? That way MS could release updates to hardware like new graphics cars that a user could swap out themselves. Just plug and play.
  • MmsER8y.jpg
    That's not a black background. That's the external power supply!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Size wise 3 controllers high. So form factor say a size 11 trainers box
    PSN - minkymu
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Someone had a thought on reddit which I'm going to steal: What if it's this tower because the components are stacked inside? That way MS could release updates to hardware like new graphics cars that a user could swap out themselves. Just plug and play.

Outrageous idea.

dell_x38km_optiplex_3060_corei58_85004gb_1dimms_500gb_1534368980000_1429496.jpg
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • 2 optical drives tall.

But where’s Kinect?
  • PC? Can't see it taking off.
  • The height to me looks about the same as the width of the first Xbox One, going off the disc slot.
    The width of this one looks about the same as the controller width, assuming that is the same as the current controller.

Based on that, estimated dimensions
    H 330mm D 155mm W155mm
  • Spot the lad who just imported the dimensions of an Xbox One into 3DS Max
  • Haha. Nah just googled the dimensions, but I do end up doing a lot of guess work where clients hand me a piece of shit photo taken at some obscure angle and expect me to make it in 3d with no dimensions or point of reference.

This one was easy.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    MmsER8y.jpg
    That's not a black background. That's the external power supply!

Ha ha
  • poprock wrote:
    But I’m literally working right now on the government’s plans to enable rollout of a wireless infrastructure that can deliver latency as low as 0.1ms on slices of spectrum specifically set aside for gaming. I mean – I’m presenting strategy on it to group of academics in a couple of hours.

I'm sure there is great promise in the technology, and eventually we may see some fantastic results from this stuff. But my point is that even then it will never be as good as playing it locally, it's not just the latency between the server and the client side device, it's the processing to get the video and audio out, the processing on the local device, the lag for it to be displayed, it all adds up. It may well be possible to get it all down to a few milliseconds but that's still some ways off I think.

Going all in on cloud gaming right now is like how so many phones are being made without headphone jacks, a really rather daft idea and a clear backwards step. Eventually the battery and wireless technology might make wireless headphones universally adopted, but we are still waaay off on that one.
  • On the one hand, it’s coming faster than people think. As in, we’ll all be cloud gaming in five years time.

On the other hand, it’s coming slower than people think. Because 5G phones and Google Stadia are being marketed to you right now, years before they’ll do anything useful.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    Anyone know how big it is? Dimensions could be key here.

I'm not actually opposed to that design, it's growing on me

Looks about the size of a waste paper bin.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Looks about the size of a waste paper bin.

For shits and giggles and because I'm at home, I just lined up 2 bone controllers and a 360 pad. If thats the size, it's pretty small. I dont find the design appealing but the size of it wont be a problem.
    SFV - reddave360
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    That control pad is far away tho

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!