Ghost of Tsushima - the PS4's swansong?
‹ Previous123456716
  • No thread for this yet? Shame on you Samurai! Here's a new 18min gameplay video:

Getting a 'Ass Creed: Ninja edition' vibe off this, with similar gameplay mechanics. But what is going to elevate it above most open-worlders is the Japanese voicework option and that orchestral soundtrack.

Combat looks quiet visceral and I like that sudden rigor mortise effect that enemies adopt as they keel over after being slain by your Samurai sword. I suspect that the combat itself won't be Sekiro levels of silly hardness though.

Collecting resources seems to be a thing, but there was not much insight into the crafting system apart from the armour side of things. I can see myself spending too many hours searching for the requisite number of water lillies so I can dye my Samurai cape a pretty shade of yellow.

Graphically it still looks awesome and it's nice that if this ends up being the PS4 swansong, the system is going out with a bang. Like a Japanese firecracker.

Out on July 17th.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Never managed to get excited about this cos, you know. Sucker Punch. I lasted about 2 minutes into this before thinking meh. I may yet be surprised.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'm really looking forward to it.

Having the same conundrum with this as I am with Cyberpunk 2077 though, do I buy it on the PS4 knowing it's going to struggle for wait for the PS5 version?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I've not played any previous Sucker Punch games. Are they shite?
  • I’ve got a soft spot for sucker punch. Bentley is still my favourite disabled turtle in video games.

Plus they’ve got a fair bit of experience of open worlders.

It’s a great setting and there’s every chance they’ll deliver something solid.

I mean obviously it looks shit but at this point in the generation it’s nice to still
    Be delivering first part exclusives even if they are ubi-knock offs
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm already midway through AC Odd and FC5, so now way I can cope with another open worlder!  Maybe at some point, if reviews are better than that vid looks...
  • I've not played any previous Sucker Punch games. Are they shite?
    They’ve never made a bad game . They may not have yet made their masterpiece but they’ve never made a clunker either - this will be a solid 8 out of 10 minimum- obviously it’ll play like a 7 but that’s a given
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    What the fuck is up with the start of that video? It's the second time if started it and wondered if my smoke alarm is on the blink.
  • This looks amazing. Really love this kind of thing. Very Horizon Zero Dawn feel to it. Can't wait to play it.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • For me their past games were decent but nothing great. So I’m being picky and hence not excited (like I would be if Naughty Dog or Insomniac made a game) but this could still be great. The other thing is that the vid made this look like a little like a Ubisoft AC or Far Cry game which isn’t a good thing right now as that’s getting tiring for me.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Rev wrote:
    This looks amazing. Really love this kind of thing. Very Horizon Zero Dawn feel to it. Can't wait to play it.
    Yeah, HZD without the interesting robo-beasts. As mentioned in the PS4 thread, it all looks very generic from this video. The exploration part in particular makes it look like run-of-the-mill checklist chasing, with skill trees and crafting, naturally.

Hopefully they're just trying to avoid spoiling the exciting stuff, but it's not a good advert.
  • I'm really looking forward to it. Having the same conundrum with this as I am with Cyberpunk 2077 though, do I buy it on the PS4 knowing it's going to struggle for wait for the PS5 version?

Refreshingly, there hasn't been much talk marketing wise of how this will look 'much better on a Pro or PS5.'  All the footage appears to be running on PS4.

Oh, and that noise at the start of the video is just a PS4 firing up.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • My interest waned really quickly when I learned it was open world, which is a shame as you know i’m all
    about that sengoku shit
  • Tempy wrote:
    My interest waned really quickly when I learned it was open world, which is a shame as you know i’m all
    about that sengoku shit

Sucker punch don’t tend to Bloat their open worlders you could plough through most of infamous games without side shit
  • Bloat or no bloat, it always effects my enjoyment when they do this open world stuff.
  • You’d prefer levels ?
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    It does kinda feel like they heard Ubisoft saying they didn't want to make a feudal Japan Assassin's Creed and thought 'OK, we'll fill that gap then'. I thought the graphics looked slightly boring until they showed the B&W samurai movie option and now I half wonder if left to their own devices the Jap voice track and B&W mode would have been the default but the market just won't allow it.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Bob wrote:
    You’d prefer levels ?

Or a smaller contiguous world like the Metroid or Souls games.
  • Horses for courses and all that, but I love me an open world game. It's that sense of immersion that you don't get with other games. I want to feel like I'm living in the game world. If I just got set levels or fixed areas to contend with, then I've got the same old enemies spawning at the same bits and it just remind me I'm playing a game. 

I'd argue that you can't really experience emergent gameplay in any game unless it's an open world, as that supplies the necessary randomness and unpredictableness you need for the fun stuff to happen
  • Definitely horses for courses, none of that stuff is really super appealing to me. I do like systems driven games, they're interesting, but my favourite of those has been MGSV, and even then I found the Open World stuff grating on me. Breath of the Wild seems excellent but I never clicked with it, but I want to try it again but JonB has my copy atm and lockdown is in the way of post. But yeah, immersion is a valid thing to want and to aim for, but it's something I find over rated most of the time. The seams are always too obvious, even in MGSV the puppet master's strings are obvious, but that's kinda what makes it fun. 

That said, I recently finished Spider-man and fairly enjoyed most of it, but I spent a lot of time wishing they had spent less time on the open world side and more time on improving the boss encounters. I think when it comes to emergent stuff I prefer it when it's happening with real players - in stuff like Tarkov and Hunt Showdown. But like I say, I like Sengoku-era adjacent stuff, so despite my interesting having waned considerably, i'll still be keeping an eye on it. Don't mean to be super negative.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Well definitely horses, anyway
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    Horses for courses and all that, but I love me an open world game. It's that sense of immersion that you don't get with other games. I want to feel like I'm living in the game world. If I just got set levels or fixed areas to contend with, then I've got the same old enemies spawning at the same bits and it just remind me I'm playing a game.  I'd argue that you can't really experience emergent gameplay in any game unless it's an open world, as that supplies the necessary randomness and unpredictableness you need for the fun stuff to happen

And that’s what will ultimately sell this if it nails the atmosphere and story.
  • This is on my get it for a chalice list. Still haven't bought Horizon tbf so that'll be first.
  • Couldn’t get into horizon.. to many mechanics and faff.
  • I think it looks absolutely amazing.
    Shame it's exclusive to Sony.

Yeah, gameplay is generic Ass Creed but the animation quality, modeling and open world looks top notch.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • I'd prefer a non open world thing, Arkham Asylum style, but that's true of all open world games* and reckon I'd play this if my PS4 was still alive. Sekiro looked a bit too difficult, which put me off at the last minute. Was looking forward to that but my 3D combat skills are weedy. This is doing enough with samurai stuff to pique my interest, I don't play many open world games so not doing anything exciting/new wouldn't be a problem for me if I enjoy the combat. Mad Max and Shadow of Mordor are two of my favourites and they're on the simple side. Hopefully this gets a PS5 release too (or works on that if you pop the disc in).

*Breath of the Wild managed to change my mind on second playthrough, to the point where I'll now admit that it's better than the traditional Zelda I would've asked for.
  • Open world because open world suits the mongol invasion of japan theme better.
    Like in the Witcher games it's an opportunity to display certain aspects. The ravages of war, nature, wildlife, landscapes, architecture, culture and people off the top of my head.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
  • "The game is a love letter to the generic open worlder full of pointless collectables and busy work," says Nate Fox, creative director for Ghost of Tsushima. Straight from the horses mouth eh.
  • Your all
    Gonna have egg fried rice on your faces when this is more authentic than Uncle Ben’s
‹ Previous123456716

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!