PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    FfT8OsX.jpg

Available on Xbox and PC and via Game Pass

Official blurb:
    The world is a vast, beautiful, and dangerous place – especially when you have been shrunken to the size of an ant. Explore, build, and survive together in this cooperative survival-adventure. Can you thrive alongside the hordes of giant insects, fighting to survive the perils of the backyard? Join our community and help shape the future of Grounded in Xbox Game Preview.

- Reactive World and Insect Life -

Explore this immersive and persistent world, where the insect life reacts to your actions.

- Base Building and Crafting -

Shelter and tools are critical to your survival. Build epic bases to protect you and your stuff from the insects and the elements. Craft weapons, tools, and armor, allowing you to better fight, explore and survive.

- Online Co-op -

You can face the backyard alone or together, online, with up to three friends - it is your choice.

- Campaign -

Uncover the secrets lurking in the shadows of Grounded as you freely explore the backyard and progress through its mysterious story.

Full details on the latest status of the game, how you can give feedback and report issues can be found at https://grounded.obsidian.net/

grounded.jpg

Grounded_Flight_Post_1920x1080-960x640.jpg

Official trailer:

A taste of the horrors within:

I've been playing quite a bit of this both solo and in co-op with Wookie and my boy Franny, it's absolutely delightful and terrifying in equal measure. I've still not got a good grip of the combat so I'm still in the avoidance/scarper mindset when I come across any aggressive bugs but my gear has plateaued with what's easily available so it's time to git gud and test my mettle.

I've still not explored the whole map yet either, it's deceptively large as landmarks such as the house or oak tree always seem so close. So I might chicken out of facing down the meaner beasties in favour of charting the map.

My "base" if you can call if that is a bed, work bench and a few chests perched on top of the baseball in the starting area. Franny is less than impressed by my lack of building skills, but I prioritised pitching camp somewhere safe instead of rolling the dice at ground level with the constant threat of a demon Larvae swarm to worry about.

It's Honey I Shrunk the Kids! crossed with Minecraft and somehow manages to be as awesome as that sounds. It's still in early access as one of those GaaS type deals, a drawback of that is the even more disgusting variety of bugs no gamer wants to see may be an issue, although personally I've only had a weird and brief disco light thing going on and a strange bonus dump of the games currency/XP which meant I can immediately buy all available blueprints. A positive is that content will be added over time, and I'm trying to keep my imagination from running wild here as the possibilities are endless. Be it new areas such as the house or shed, new bugs like wasps and bees or even my personal favorite content, new flowers and plants to make hats out of.

It's well worth a go as it's "free" to try out on Game Pass, if anyone wants someone to lend a hand and ease them into the early game (the tutorial is pretty much non-existent for stuff like crafting, even swapping your weapon or armour is a mystery you need to work out) then give me a shout and I'd be happy to join you.
  • I played through what there currently is of the story. I didn't really focus on building which I realise is missing half the content.

It was quite fraught at times solo, I can definitely see things being more productive and fun with other players.

I'm going to leave it for now but I am intrigued as to how it develops because as you say it has bags of potential.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Most enjoyable game I've played all year, and it isn't even finished. I dread to think how many hours I'll end up ploughing into it.
  • You chaps up for some today? I've got nothing but gaming planned all day so happy to play whenever
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    This roast won't make itself Wooks!

I'll be on tonight though deffo.
  • Had a quick go this morning. Tilly was wondering if there's a third person view available as she likes to see her character. Couldn't find it so I guess not.

Enjoyed the half hour or so we played. Will definitely play the full thing. Scenes when I thew a rock at a massive sleeping spider. Graphics are nice.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I'd be up for a game tonight if there is room in the yard.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Had a quick go this morning. Tilly was wondering if there's a third person view available as she likes to see her character. Couldn't find it so I guess not.

Enjoyed the half hour or so we played. Will definitely play the full thing. Scenes when I thew a rock at a massive sleeping spider. Graphics are nice.

There is but it's hidden away in the convoluted menus. Down on the dpad then the top option. I think it's better than the first person view and gives you a chance to peek the bugs around obstacles that you couldn't in first person.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'd be up for a game tonight if there is room in the yard.

Deffo, we can start in yours or Wookie's world as you can carry on that save offline.
  • YAY!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The best innovation here is the group builds by the way. Laying down a blueprint doesn't cost resources, so you build whatever you want and if you don't like how it's shaping up you can start over without losing anything. Anyone in the game can then complete the build by adding resources from their inventory with a push of a button, so easy and efficient.

Now I've typed it out I've remembered Dragon Quest Builders does something similar.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Had a quick go this morning. Tilly was wondering if there's a third person view available as she likes to see her character. Couldn't find it so I guess not.

There is but it's hidden away in the convoluted menus. Down on the dpad then the top option. I think it's better than the first person view and gives you a chance to peek the bugs around obstacles that you couldn't in first person.

Big grin from Tills with a mouthful of pasta, cheers. She needs to see Hoops to get into character.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Hoops is my girl too. Ally-HOOP!
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I can get on later. Can't get enough.
  • 8.30ish?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Internet fuckery cut short an enthralling evening. Cheers gents.

I was really struggling without my markers, some parts of the map I know like the back of my hand but as soon as you get turned around when you're in the grass it's easy to lose your way.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Joining somebody else's game and heading straight to spider city, as you're used to in your own game, wasn't wise. Orb weaver came at me just as i realised I didn't have my decent club....or bow.....or armour....or smoothies.....
  • So this game seems to very much be a spider survival sim?
  • It's not my type of game at all but it looks fantastic and seems really well put together from the short amount of time I've played.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Not much survival going on once you cross their path to be fair.

There are plenty of other interactions too, the bugs will fight each other over territory, pesky ants will steal food cooked on a spit if you built it at ground level, or they'll break into your baskets and steal your shit. I was the little sister to a ladybird's big daddy yesterday, got the big lad to take down two spiders and three bombardier beetles for me. Top guy all round really, it'll be a shame when I have to bump him off so I can craft armour out of his shell.

• Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It's not my type of game at all but it looks fantastic and seems really well put together from the short amount of time I've played.

You can tell it's a labour of love by the character and charm they've put into a lowly aphid.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    When you see those fucking spider legs through the grass! Eeuugghggg.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Can xbox and pc play with each other? I don't know why I ask really as I still have Sea of Thieves sitting unplayed.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I don't think so, you can't even send out invites at the minute, you have to search for a friend's game and join that.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    When you see those fucking spider legs through the grass! Eeuugghggg.

It's the grass parting in the distance as it roams about that gets me. *shudder*
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The wolf spider using a wounded Goober as bait was the highlight of the evening for me. He was aggressively circling around watching, then would disengage, eyes turning normal and he'd turn away. Now's my chance, I can nip in and pick you up. I inch closer and then boom, red eyes and hissing, circling Goobs again. Scary stuff.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'll be poking around Webbins' back yard from 9 tonight if anyone wants in?
  • HELLO
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    We'll have that starting section ingrained in our memories, Wooks
  • Best have a sweep up and trim me bush.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Im excited
‹ Previous12345678

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!