Genshin Impact
‹ Previous123456710
  • DLF0Uit.jpg

Genshin Impact is a mainly single-player, open-world, free-to-play, action-RPG for PS4, PC, and mobile, with a Switch version in development, from Chinese ACG outfit, miHoYo. 

And just to get this outta the way - yeah some of its mechanics do draw obvious inspiration from BotW (and NieR: Automata for that matter), but care to take the briefest of glances inside and you'll see that any accusations of it being a BotW clone are lazy at best. These are two very different games at heart, with Genshin putting its fun combat front and centre while positively dripping with RPG systems and numberwang.

So with that outta the way; in Genshin you play as a mysterious planet-hopping traveller searching for their lost twin, and soon after starting you begin to recruit a motley collection of heroes to help in your quest. There's a substantial main campaign to play through, a large chunk of the world of Teyvat to explore complete with all the usual open-world activities, shit-loads of collectables, side quests, dungeons, all the levelling/upgrading systems you could ever want (and a load you don't), and then there's that really quite wonderful combat system - fast and fluid with smooth and slick animations, a stamina based dash that makes use of iFrames and can trigger animation cancelling, and a whole load of hot-swapping between characters with the press of a button to trigger some crazy elemental powers and reactions. 

The current story campaign comprises a Prologue and Chapter 1 of the overriding Archon Quest, some 30 or so hours of main story content stretching into hundreds of hours with all the side quests, character-specific story quests, and open-world shenanigans. The game also has numerous limited-time events that reward both premium currency and new characters, alongside added story content. To say there's a lot of game here is an understatement, and the devs have 6 further chapters of the main story planned, each focusing on a new region of Teyvat to be added in future updates. The third region of the world, Dragonspine, and its accompanying storyline is due at the end of December. 

And yeah it is absolutely gorgeous. From the world design to the enemies and creatures to the characters themselves, the flawless and charming animations, the UI and general presentation, this game looks a million bucks. Sounds a million bucks too. Composed by Yu-Peng Chen, the score features distinct soundtracks for each of the regions in the game, and some of these themes have taken up permanent residence in my brain. Overall, the combined music and visual presentation adds a huge amount of character and charm to the world beyond the basic story. 

Now the bad news: Monetization does take the form of a gacha (lootbox) system to get the chance to add statistically better characters and weapons to your loadout, and once you hit Adventure Rank 20 there's a battle pass. There is absolutely no need to get involved in any of that, what the game gives you is stupidly generous and will see you through the content available at the moment without a worry, as well as handing you many a free roll at the gacha system from currency earned a multitude of ways in-game. 

In the early hours of the game (when this OP was penned) the gacha system is almost completely absent. You don't even get access to the store until you reach a certain level. When you do, the wish/gacha system isn't pushed hard in-game - but it most certainly is via the game's social media and by the hordes of content creators making a living from hyping-up the super-rare 5* characters. And make no mistake, it's a shit system. No matter how generous they are with the free rolls you can't get away from the fact that this is gambling, in a game that's hugely appealing to kids, and I've no doubt many, many people will sink a lot of money into this game.

This isn't something that affects me, however, I'm guilty of sometimes thinking others will be able to resist the lure of gacha in same way. So, if you're the kind of person who thinks they might get sucked into this system - PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS GAME. Gacha is predatory, unrewarding, and downright scummy.  

If you're deeply fortunate enough to be immune from this kind of shit, then go for it and let yourself get swept away in the story, the music, the exploration, the beautiful art direction, and fun, elementally charged combat. 

2neLeHF.gif

ZPakL5L.gif

There is limited multiplayer available once you get to a certain point, but it isn't implemented amazingly at the moment. Expect this to get better over time, but it's a single-player game at heart. Actually, expect everything to get better over time. This is an ambitious live service title with a $100 million budget that's designed to keep you (and your debit card) engaged for years, and new map regions, quests, dungeons, characters, weapons, and equipment are all on the way.

I mean, the game's free and crazy generous in the amount of content it does offer you. If anything you've seen about the world, combat, and general gameplay tempts you, then give it a go. If the gacha elements also tempt you, avoid it. I'm serious.  

Useful links: 

Official website: For the PC download, news, world info, official forums, and even their own manga.

Interactive mapWanna find all the anemoculus or geoculus? How about chests, shrines, or mining locations? It's all here.

The Wiki'Cause you're probably gonna need it at some point.
  • It’s mainly single player, yes?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I would love to play this but the characters, and the sounds they make, are an affront to my senses.
  • I would love to play this but the characters, and the sounds they make, are an affront to my senses.

This.
    Are there plans for characters that aren't embarrassing?
  • Nope. The gacha system even awards bonus cringe stats. 

@Elf Yeah, it's a single-player game. The MP stuff is very limited, but expect them to build on this going forward.
  • qhg1ul-ZZqY3rvfc.jpg
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    I'm really enjoying it. It has the best realtime RPG combat since Dragon's Dogma, cracking team compostion options, and the character switching mid-combo stuff is very Platinum Games. Plus its a shameless BoTW rip-off. All of those add up to a fantastic game that clearly had a massive budget. 

Sure, the Anime Waifu characters might get you some dodgy looks from the missus, but don't let that put you off.  ;)

The gacha/cashola aspect is purely optional and never once pushed in your face (or even mentioned for the matter). The shop is hidden away in the start menu and hella confusing with its multiple currencies, so even if you did stumble onto it, you'd probably be too lost to figure out how to spend any real money. lol!

I just hit AR16 and unlocked coop. There is sooooo much content its ridiculous. And patch 1.1 dropping sometime this month supposedly adds another 40% to the overall world map. Its insane that its F2P.
  • You're way past me, Curtis. Agree with all that though. The game's just really solid, enjoyable stuff with so much to see and do. 

And the whole gacha thing is so far in the background that you've really gotta want to spend money to get involved in that.

Can't quite believe this is free-to-play. It's almost too good to be true.
  • Stormy you goddamn dealer.

I DLed this. The voices can do one, but holy hell it's pretty. Only managed to see 30 seconds up the beach and not even start the first quest. But still.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'll get this but it'll take a lot to pull me from Dragalia.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Stormy you goddamn dealer. I DLed this. The voices can do one, but holy hell it's pretty. Only managed to see 30 seconds up the beach and not even start the first quest. But still.

I know right?   

This game just keeps on giving. I'm getting loot and characters thrown at me from a whole variety of random achievements and mission progress. I now have access to more characters than I can level up, and more weapons and items than I know what to do with. Srsly, what do I do with all this stuff?

Loving the elemental combos you can create when tag-teaming characters in a fight as well. Some very cool stuff going on here. Still early days though. Only at AR 7 or so, and I'm currently exploring the world around the first town and doing a few side quests. Really enjoying it though.
  • A couple of things that are bugging me though... I'm playing on PC with my trusty Xbox controller and the button bindings just feel weird and there's no re-mapping option. I've cancelled out of menus far too often by mistake.

Also, you have to manually select the controller every time you load up. 

They're not game breaking issues or anything, but it'd be nice for QoL if we got patches for this stuff.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm gonna get it on phone, have you tried it there yet?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    I would love to play this but the characters, and the sounds they make, are an affront to my senses.

This.
    Are there plans for characters that aren't embarrassing?

Yeh, just watched a vid and it's just full on creepy cringe.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I'm gonna get it on phone, have you tried it there yet?

No, but the person who recommended it to me has it on phone and loves it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Great. Will dive in.
  • I'm playing on PC with my trusty Xbox controller and the button bindings just feel weird and there's no re-mapping option.

I can't get my wireless xbox one control to work.
    When I select it in the menu the game just locks.

Did it just work for you and is your pad wired?
    You rang.....
  • I played a few hours of this last night (to AR10) and it’s got some charm but I am not sure how much legs.

I changed the language in the first minute cos fuuuuuuck that. Chinese and Japanese are at least 100% less insulting to your ears.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I played a few hours of this last night (to AR10) and it’s got some charm but I am not sure how much legs. I changed the language in the first minute cos fuuuuuuck that. Chinese and Japanese are at least 100% less insulting to your ears.

Genius.

Totes doing that.

Strong vibe of this otherwise:

• A couple of things that are bugging me though... I'm playing on PC with my trusty Xbox controller and the button bindings just feel weird and there's no re-mapping option. I've cancelled out of menus far too often by mistake. Also, you have to manually select the controller every time you load up.  They're not game breaking issues or anything, but it'd be nice for QoL if we got patches for this stuff.

Yeah, the controller thing is annoying, and yep, b to confirm and a to back out, oh my days it gets messy.
  • I’m sort of invigorated by Curtis’s enthusiasm but also it just feels super hollow. Very attractive but... the landscape has none of the stuff that made BotW what it was, your regular mobs have zero personality and no AI, the elemental effects are sort of fun but again don’t really add a whole lot beyond being able to freeze water and elecorructe people. Quests have been standard RPG fare of “go 500m away to get a ream of insipid dialogue onl to be told to go 500m in the opposite direction and fight another mob of enemies then go 500m other direction to open a chest” which isn’t really... inspiring or anything.

There are some fun little micro puzzle things in the environment for sure, and it’s always chucking something your way (usually currency) but there are also a lot of gauges to fill up: level your characters, and their weapons, and their skills, and your adventure level to earn currency that lets you “wish” for new characters and end up getting 50 duplicate weapons you need to chunk into your other weapons to level them up. Still, I got some cute maid/warrior called Noelle from the current offer pack who has a massive broadsword and she seems fun. It’ll have to offer something pretty substantial to keep its hooks in though I think.
  • Fair enough. Gotta say, I'm having a blast. The art direction and music have properly sucked me in, and I'm finding it a very nice place to just wander around and have some casual RPG-style fun. I've no idea how long it'll keep me entertained, but I'm entirely fine with playing it 'til I find out.
  • The music also feels very BotW-lite. There's a particular theme in the dungeons which just sounds like someone doing a cover of a BotW piano track, but missing crux of the glitchy minimalist feel.
  • I should probably play BotW. And y'know, buy a Switch.
  • PS4, yes. Right there in the OP.
  • Download to my iPhone too! Do I want to sign in with Facebook? I’m not so sure
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.

Oh yeah ha ha fuck this puppy is melting my brain...

Oh yeah ha ha fuck this puppy is melting my brain...

Ironically it’s worth a chalice
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • Some handy tips for new players from a less crazy than usual Mtashed (Destiny players know). Really wish he'd put this up a couple of days earlier.

• Japanese VO is way better.
‹ Previous123456710

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!