A thread for watch love
‹ Previous123456739
  • I think we should have a horological thread for the watch geeks.

Post pics of your current wristware or your grail watch/lusted after timepiece.

We can discuss the merits of Grand Seiko for instance.

I will start things off. My current daily beater is the CWC Mellor 72. A 36mm steel tonneau case, british designed, mechanical hand wound, swiss made, military spec watch. The Cabot Watch Company (CWC) have issued timepieces for the UK armed forces for over 40 years.

I love it. Not expensive. But very reliable. Has the crows foot british military symbol on the dial, and the nato issue serial number stamped on the case back. I picked the final digits of the serial number myself.

Limited to under 500 pieces.
    PSN - minkymu
  • I want a Vertex M100 bronze but im not sure i can justify spending £2700 on it when i could buy a Tudor Blackbay 58 for less.
    PSN - minkymu
  • My niece got me a watch for Christmas. She's 19 now, got her first proper job and she's been buying family members stuff all over the place. I haven't worn a watch since I was a kid but I've had it on most days this year. It's a cheapish thing but I like blue and brown, so well played. Big sentimental value rather than legit watch stuff.
  • Thats the beautiful thing about watches. Mine was bought and given to ne by my girlfriend as a present to cheer me up on the 1st anniversary of my moms death.

I will never ever sell it.
    PSN - minkymu
  • I always liked watches, looking at them much more than actually wearing them.
    My Grandpa had quite the collection, unfortunately my uncle had them all away before my Grandpa was even cold.
    Would have quite like to have just one of his but nevermind.

Anyway.
    The above are definitely my sort of size. I dont go in for the big, mega roundal, super scuba 10km deep and 30,000 ft high, accurate to the density of the moon shit.

Also did some work with Breitling and Omega when doing refits for Ernest Jones stores. Both were really good to work with.
  • My grail is this ludicrous thing:

Rolex-The-full-set-gold-Lapis-Lazuli-DateJust-ref.-16238-12-scaled.jpg

641-RolexDatejustLapisDial-A.jpg?v=1485957610

Lapis lazuli is a sick chunk of rock and jubilee bracelets are my all time fave.
  • Lol. 36mm seems tiny in your hand but wears rather nicely on the wrist. Its a weird one.

I was puzzled why all the watch nerds were raving about smaller case sizes, as i was up too now a fan of the Seiko Tuna case divers, having taken the plunge on a 43mm ltd edition prospex tuna myself a few years back. But I honestly think 36mm is bang on perfect for my wrist.

The new Rolex Oyster Perpetual range are selling way more 36mm varieties than 41mm and now i get why.
    PSN - minkymu
  • Brooks that is a thing of beauty. I have seen the sterile dial Rolex before but not in that colour. Really pops.
    PSN - minkymu
  • I like watches. Used to have a collection many moons ago.
    Nowadays I occasionally still wear this limited edition beast (no.79 of 111)...
    jloz6DL.jpg

but tbh 99% of the time I can be found wearing this 2005 Sea Dweller...
    nrHVKyo.jpg
    which was a grail piece I bought with money I made working on the Paralympics in 2012 to celebrate one of the high-spots of my career. Decent investment. It's worth nearly twice what I paid for it back then already. That's the good thing about Rolex, they really are one of the only mainstream expensive watches that appreciate significantly in value.
    Was sorely tempted by the Black Bay chrono when it launched a couple of years back...
    rGv6iqh.jpg

but managed to see sense and resist the devil on my shoulder.
    Maybe some day though.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • The sea dwellers are ridiculously collectible. Lovely watches. Nice piece that G. I had you pegged as a Rolex man tbh. Classy.

Steinhart are massively underated too. I keep browsing the diver range on Gnomon watches. I’ve hovered over the basket a few times.

Also the bund strap and that colour combo on that Tudor is nice. I cant wear gold as a colour sadly. Just looks weird on me
    PSN - minkymu
  • Minkymu wrote:
    Brooks that is a thing of beauty. I have seen the sterile dial Rolex before but not in that colour. Really pops.

I'd settle for the onyx dial one of the same era, but.
  • I will have to get a photo of my dad's Rolex next time I'm over there.
    It won't be anything top, top end but from memory it looks like that Sea Dweller. Would have been from the late 80s early 90s mind.

It is "Dad's watch" though if you know what I mean. The guy wore it everyday until retirement.
  • I was eyeing this Tudor just before xmas......

Maybe this year.

BBF3-BDD8-130-D-4055-95-BF-DB36-FDADDC2-A.webp
    PSN - minkymu
  • Aye Minky, Steinhart make really good quality watches at really good prices. A lot of them are Rolex clones, but that in itself isn't necessarily a bad thing.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I will have to get a photo of my dad's Rolex next time I'm over there.
    It won't be anything top, top end but from memory it looks like that Sea Dweller. Would have been from the late 80s early 90s mind.

It is "Dad's watch" though if you know what I mean. The guy wore it everyday until retirement.

Yes but that’s exactly what makes it such an epic thing to keep for yourself one day. The memories. Every dink on it.

I wish my dad wore watches.

PSN - minkymu
  • This piece is also on my radar from Grand Seiko.

Never ever going to be able to drop £7k on a Rolex Explorer 2, but £2900 on a GS that has the same vibe is defo a maybe. GS grow their own Quartz crystals, they are ridiculously accurate AND true fact, GS actually make more parts in house than any other watch maker. Rolex included.

img
    PSN - minkymu
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I really like watches but I don't like paying for them. I'm at an age though when a Rolex Oyster Perpetual takes my fancy.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Surprisingly affordable for a rolex too. The 36mm in tiffany blue or yellow dials are my faves in the new range.
    PSN - minkymu
  • Self winding watches are the shit.
    I absolutely love them.

I used to have a fake Tag self winder from a looky looky stall. Incredible fake tbf, I lost it unfortunately, it totally passed and I would still wear it now if I had it.
    The give away was that the face colour was a Tag colour but not on that watch design. Shrug.

It had a glass back to it so you could see the weighted winding mechanism. So cool.
  • Probably had a selita mechanism in it. Great little units. Cheap too.
    PSN - minkymu
  • Minkymu wrote:
    This piece is also on my radar from Grand Seiko. Never ever going to be able to drop £7k on a Rolex Explorer 2, but £2900 on a GS that has the same vibe is defo a maybe. GS grow their own Quartz crystals, they are ridiculously accurate AND true fact, GS actually make more parts in house than any other watch maker. Rolex included. img
    Pfffft. I'd sooner put 500Euro down on the Steinhart Ocean One Vintage GMT, which is a superb knock off of the classic Rolex...
    g2i8PV2.jpg
  • Ooooftttt thats a corker. Its nigh on identical to the original explorer! How do they get away with that?
    PSN - minkymu
  • ...I used to buy swatch watches, my favourite was this plastic lovely/ghastly thing:

kidrobot_swatch_watch_and_matching_dunny_1.jpg

I’ll go now :)
  • I had one of those wall hanging Swatch clocks as a kid.
    I'm sure it would be worth silly money now.
  • Swatches are cool.
  • I have 16 odd watches, though none of them cost me over £200 a piece. Most are Casio G-Shocks. The posh brands do look nice. Not that i can afford, also I'd be worried about scratching/chipping them if i could. Also servicing a rolex etc isn't cheap right?

• There's something enduringly loveable about G-Shocks, though I've never worn one myself.
  • Nothing wrong with Swatch at all. My first watch was a Swatch. The Swatch group own ETA and the ETA movements are used almost universally, therefore Swatch is practically inside almost every posh brand on earth.
    PSN - minkymu
  • Now i think G shock have been on a great patch atm. The high and the cheap end have banged out some nice stuff. The new new analog frogman and the carbon core ranges are doing it for me atm.

Also true fact. Now the military no longer issues a watch as part of standard kit, Gshock is the most worn brand in the military world.
    PSN - minkymu
‹ Previous123456739

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!