The MCU Spoiler Thread ('free' on Disney+ UK pace)
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I watched the film where they mentioned that recently. It was either the last one that still worked or was tailored to Sam or something, it's definitely covered by dialogue. Although not clear why they couldn't just make more.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • There were 2 built by the military. Both were destroyed, one on some military mission, the other by Bucky.

Stark built the one Sam has now.
  • So I seem to remember in one of the Avenger movies that there was a fuck ton of Falcon wingsuits. Falcor simply grabbed a suit and used it. But where did all the rest of the suits go?
    TK Maxx.

Come with g if you want to live...
  • Watched it and liked the Bucky scenes which were cool, but if one of you plot points is that none of the Avengers who work for the government get paid while protecting the peace. I'm kind of rolling my eyes back into my head with that. 
    Interested to see how it goes tbh. The Winter Soldier is one of my favourite films, and I like Falcon as a character as well.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Yeah, the financial hardship plot seems a bit odd. It’s not like Falcon is a vigilante in a mask. He’s top-level military special ops. Those guys get a salary, pension, benefits.
  • At least Falcon got rid of that stupid beard
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Hahaha. I had forgotten about the beard.
  • Yeah the financial stuff was really odd. The bank guy asking about financial records during the blip....lol.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    At least Falcon got rid of that stupid beard

I'm sure you had a similar beard when I first met you ;-)
  • b0r1s wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:

lol...
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • b0r1s wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:

If you can call mine a beard, I'll take it as a compliment!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • poprock wrote:
    Yeah, the financial hardship plot seems a bit odd. It’s not like Falcon is a vigilante in a mask. He’s top-level military special ops. Those guys get a salary, pension, benefits.

He's a contractor right now. This is mentioned in the bank scene. But before that... he pretty much is a vigilante.

When he's first introduced, he's not active military. He works for the VA helping former soldiers with PTSD. He became Falcon by going rogue with Cap and stealing the wingsuit, and post Ultron the Avengers seem to be bankrolled by Stark, not the military. Sam is then put in the Raft because of the events of Civil War, until Cap breaks him out and they go on the run again as agents of Nick Fury. That goes on until Infinity War, where he gets dusted. So for basically the entire time we've seen the character, he's not had a pay cheque.

What's not mentioned that I recall is what happened to assets of people who were taken in the blip, but it stands to reason that they would be distributed to family. So anything Sam did have left likely would have been given out and already used to keep the business afloat
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    If he’s a contractor for the US military he should be fucking loaded. He probably could have charged at least 7 figures for that opening scene alone.
  • You’ve explained it better than Marvel did.

I don’t remember what The Raft is. Prison of some sort, I assume? Otherwise all nice and clear, ta.

As Yoss says though, he’s very much on active service for the military at the start of this show. Which should come with a hefty paycheque.
  • Who was paying him to blow up 47 helicopters and get shot at with RPGs in the opening scene? That's got to be a fairly well-payed gig. 

Coming out of Endgame, I thought the 5 year gap and then everyone's back was a stupid thing to have when you're telling a load of ongoing stories afterwards. I get how they wanted there to be consequences so it wasn't too cheap when they reversed the snap. But otoh, they've created a situation where that's now going to be in every story. And, if you're properly following up on the consequences of it, is going to be the main bit of every story. The boating business survived half the planet dying but now they're back, it's going under. Society would have collapsed. And then re-collapsed when people came back. Meanwhile, the bank are all 'hey where's your income over the past 5 years?'. It's stupid. 

The honest family business struggling to make ends meet is such a tired superhero backstory anyway.
  • This is very early after the blip, prior to Wandavision I believe. It's not clear how long he's been active, but he's pointing to the contracts as proof of future income, not past.

The Raft is a superpower prison in the East River, near Rykers.
  • He knows the CEO of Stark Industries, is friends with the Wakandan royal family, has engineering expertise with Stark tech that apparently exceeds that of the US military. Why's he even going to a bank?

Imagine that bankers day, weeks or months after half his previously deceased customers come back to life. And he's all like, well I can't see five years worth of income here. What's the government doing for all these people? Nothing? Actually that bit checks out.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    The Raft is a superpower prison in the East River, near Rykers.

The MCU version is in the Atlantic Ocean.
  • monkey wrote:
    He knows the CEO of Stark Industries, is friends with the Wakandan royal family, has engineering expertise with Stark tech that apparently exceeds that of the US military. Why's he even going to a bank?

9lN6hOm.gif
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    Meanwhile, the bank are all 'hey where's your income over the past 5 years?'. It's stupid. 

I honestly find this bit to be very believable. Banks aren’t known for their flexibility and speedy reactions.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    This is very early after the blip, prior to Wandavision I believe. It's not clear how long he's been active, but he's pointing to the contracts as proof of future income, not past.

To be fair, even with this as future earnings, the military contract work would mean his future earnings should be huge. The conversation with his sister should have been “hold on for another few months until I receive the multimillion dollar cheque from the government from the mission I just completed”.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Looks like the bank just grounded this falcon

*puts on glasses*

YYEAAAHHHH
  • A more realistic response from the bank would be that his income is based on doing a job where he could be killed quite easily.

The specifics of this stuff may loop round in some purposeful way though so I dont think its worth picking apart too much yet
  • I may watch Falcon tonight (meant to watch it yesterday but watched the Snyder Cut instead).

Glad I'm not the only one who found Wandavision disappointed at the end. It started really well, but I lost a bit of interest at the point when I was apparently meant to know the backgrounds of certain other characters. And what was that alien at the end?

I get fan service, but I feel Wandavision started off as something that you didn't need to be a massive Marvel comics fan to appreciate, but I ended up left cold by Agatha who was far more interesting when she wasn't doing the flying and zapping shit and not knowing much about Rambeau outside of this series left me feeling that I needed to read Wikipedia articles to get up to speed.

I think this is an issue I have with a lot of the MCU movies as well - they take an unconventional problem or situation and resolve it in quite a conventional way (e.g. zap pow blam).
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • You don't need to know anything about Rambeau beyond what you're told in Wandavision.

The alien at the end was a Skrull recruiting her for a mission with Nick Fury. But even if you've not seen Captain Marvel or Spider-Man:Far from Home, the series tells you that Monica works for an agency that deals with alien threats, and that her mother used to run it. So when we get to that mid credits scene:
    “I was sent by an old friend of your mother’s,” the Skrull says. “He heard you’d been grounded. He’d like to meet with you.”

“Where?” Monica asks.

The Skrull responds by simply pointing upward.

A non fan can infer from the information given that a man who worked with her mother about weird alien stuff wants to meet her in space. It's probably not just for a chat about old times.
  • Black Widow will release simultaneously at Cinema and Disney+. Crazy. Oh well watch at home it is then.
  • It’ll be a £16 rental on Disney+ though, I assume. Not included as standard.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    It's not a Disney+ Original, GET OUT.
  • poprock wrote:
    It’ll be a £16 rental on Disney+ though, I assume. Not included as standard.

Balls. Guardian article didnt say that.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!