Monster Hunter
  • Use that a fair bit when solo in Rise, it’s a good system. SOS in World worked similarly, and was pretty good too.
  • Son turned up with his Switch this weekend so had a chance to play it again with the new content updates.

After waiting ages for the two updates to download, finished off the final village quest. Good fun and liked the changes to Bazel - less openings but also less lethal bombs, compared to World.

No idea when I’ll play it again but it was nice to go back for a bit.
  • Any tips for a newbie pls?

I won't bother with the online side of things but would like to push through to at least the credits solo. I said this the first time I booted it up but it's very nice looking for a Switch game, especially considering the art style and how much is going on.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Have you already found a weapon you like?

If you go to menu ( + ) and then to the right tab where "move around village" is located, you should be able to go to the training area. There you can easily switch weapons and try them on a dummy.

X and A button are your basic attack for all weapons, so just try those and pick something that has a speed and feel you like.
  • Always eat before you go on a hut (you can skip the animation) always grab the stuff from the box where you start (no punishment) hop on your doggie and ride around and collect BIRBS for buffs
  • I didn't realise I could change weapon, thought I was lumbered with the heavy and slow swing of the one I've got because of the character class I chose. Will find something less cleaver-ish.

The stuff in the box at the start of missions - is it not a case of don't take it unless you need it? Does the box fill up with goodies for each hunt then (no punishment)?
  • Pick SnS and get used to running around a monster and using the camera to keep the monster in view. Watch its patterns and get in a few hits. Roll is used to avoid stuff but also to cancel the animation after your attack.

MH is not about button mashing and each attack takes time to complete. Combos can lock you into unskippable frames of animation so you need to learn what you can get away with for each opening.

The beauty of MH is that you can have different experiences depending on the weapon. Great Sword is slow, SnS is fast, ranged weapons obviously keep you out of immediate danger but require more management.

There is a lot to learn but Rise is the easiest to get into.

edit: Long Sword is the starting weapon here and isn't that slow really. Get used to the overhead slice, roll, and wait for next opportunity. Then start adding in extra button presses to add to the combo.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I didn't realise I could change weapon, thought I was lumbered with the heavy and slow swing of the one I've got because of the character class I chose. Will find something less cleaver-ish. The stuff in the box at the start of missions - is it not a case of don't take it unless you need it? Does the box fill up with goodies for each hunt then (no punishment)?

When you're in the hunt, the box is the communal one, (it's blue) and it has free stuff in it. First Aid Meds and any item that says EZ (like EZ Rations) don't stay in your inventory after the mission. You can collect ingredients for potions and stuff (most of it will autocraft, you can customise this if you want) Red chest in the town (and in the tents in the biomes).

There are no character classes, you can swap to any of the weapons whenever you want. Different armour gives you different skills that makes weapons perform better/give you certain buffs, but you can save weapon/item/charm/deco loadouts and swap effortlessly between them.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Anyone else hyped for Monster Hunter Stories 2

I've hit the level cap on the demo. ;) I absolutely adore it!

Roll on tomorrow.
  • Curtis wrote:
    Anyone else hyped for Monster Hunter Stories 2

I've hit the level cap on the demo. ;) I absolutely adore it!

Roll on tomorrow.

Preordered and also hit cap in demo. So yes, deffo hyped.
  • Is that the trad RPG where you get to pokemon up with the monsters? Am vaguely tempted.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Is that the trad RPG where you get to pokemon up with the monsters? Am vaguely tempted.

Yeah, turn based jrpg where you steal eggs and raise monsties. Build your own Khezu gang.

It manages to approximate the trad Monster Hunter loot loop pretty well - all the gear and material stuff is in there, there’s just a different type of story and combat system.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    And don't forget the grind for the best roll of each species. Thats gonna be the timesink.

Gotta hatch 'em all.
  • Oh yeah, gene splicing. I mean, every Khezu is born perfect but I suppose a little nip tuck by feeding them the blood of lesser monsters couldn’t hurt.
  • Had to look up Khezu since they've never been in World.

They're horrible.

I hope they're in World 2.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message

I'm going to have to dust off my cart and find some time for some hunts.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message

This forum is proper slacking. "Tut-tut" MonHun fans!
  • GET IN!!!!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Lots of speculation out there, but its seems to be a European setting (probably Rhodine's homeland) and will have monsters influenced by western themes/folklore. 

That flagship monster in the trailer is clearly a vampire! "Slurp!"
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Curtis wrote:
    ...but its seems to be a European setting...

I am intrigued. Sadly, now Taiwan is out of lockdown I don't have much free time during the week. Who's around on weekends to help me polish off some non-Sunbreak quests? (Preferably Taipei/Beijing time, or willing to be awake then...)
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    MH Rise is up for pre-order on Steam... but won't actually drop for another three months. And still no word on cross-play/saves, but Capcom would like to know how interested you are in these features.
  • Rise demo now on PC.

Plays gloriously. Even Mitsu, who is a tad annoying, is more fun to fight with the improved framerate.
  • Tigrex in World had been bit of a wall - hadn't failed that many times but I was getting stomped (literally) and the damage from it was overwhelming. Failed again earlier but went back having invested in Evade Extender - barely got hit. Even used the clutch claw wallbang naf'ness a couple of times for extra damage.
  • PS4 on PS5 playthrough with starting armour (with 1 piece of bug armour for efflivial resistance) continues.

Until Nergigante:

https://youtu.be/bfSvAiiVXhs

That's with 150 health. Might need to change armour as I'm not good enough to avoid getting hit.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Back into this big time. Finally started Master Rank despite owning Sunbreak since launch.

The time away was actually a good thing because I enjoyed re-visiting the early monsters. It was a nice refresher course. Nothing too stressful or surprising.

Managed to hook up with @Bollockoff this evening and help him with a few side quests. Jolly coop forever!

It’s funny how 2 days ago, my muscle memory and button pressing/choices were a fucking shit show, whereas today I was dancing and bullying the monster without getting a scratch….and doing it pissed out my face.
  • Time for the annual few days of addiction. Progressed World to the Velkhana fight - was at Brachy 2 years ago.

Focussed more on Rise as I wanted to clear all HR quests before upgrading armour and weapons to MR. Final 3 * Apex fight was a bit tough - timed out. Decided to farm Valstrax to make its armour. The damage output I now have is hilarious - Mitsu the 1st apex took around 15-20 mins the first time, now less than 10. Zinogre carted me twice in combo moves of death but overall the fights were a lot easier.

Still have a blue tick in 7* so I probably have a rampage fight (screw those) to complete to unlock the remaining quest(s). Going to have to look at guide for that. EDIT: I need to do a few village quests to unlock - so that will be a no as I'm not doing those, only done hub quests on PC playthrough.

Armour will probably last a while in MR as well if I upgrade it.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    I've been thinking about re-installing World because i never actually played any of the Iceborne content. 

Does the PS4 version run well on PS5?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!