One Album Wonders
‹ Previous1234
  • Stumbled across Panic! at the Disco's second album again tonight.

panic_at_the_disco_pretty_odd.jpg

Absolute classic album for me. While literally everything else they did was complete meh.

Fire off any others you can think of. 

Either famous ones or single albums that you like by artists you otherwise dislike. 

Or maybe you want to use commercial success as a barometer or whatevs.

Others I can think of that qualify in some way....

TTD's first album:

R-5518155-1395445053-6658.jpeg.jpg

(Even though Symphony or Damn is better IMO.)

Reckon there's a lot of folks who rate Coldplay's first over everything else.

R-796935-1329513854.jpeg.jpg

Earlier stuff more commercially successful, certainly internationally, and Raphael Saadiq has a long and amazing career, but for TTT, this stands out big time.

(Killers first is another probable answer, even though I rate Sam's Town.)

Go.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • ekh1Qzc.jpg
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I've no idea where this record came from. Everything they did before was trash, and everything since garbage. But for one, glorious album, Fall Out Boy were good.

71pLV6hpqPL._AC_SX679_.jpg
  • Mylo - Destroy Rock and Roll
    It was an absolute monster of an album. There was a period where any number of tracks from it were the soundtrack to clubs and bars up and down the country. Drop the Pressure could be heard blaring out of Lloyd's multiple times on a Thursday/Friday/Saturday night.

The fast moving Electronic scene demanded a follow up track soon after but despite promises nothing appeared. I remember Annie Mac eventually getting an exclusive some time later along with a Mixmag cover cd both with working titles of something like "Mylo's back".

The magic was gone though. The track was merely fine and it would take a barn stormer to live up to the hype.

I think Mylo did release later albums but nobody cared.

Major Lazer - Guns don't kill People Lazers do.

A big, brash album that again, as so many electronic albums are, was the soundtrack to a summer.
    Major Lazer, consisting of DJ/Producers Switch and Diplo combined British electronic, American EDM (TM) and African/Jamaican dancehall to collaborate and make an unapologetic tour de force of club bangers.
    The pair of Producers spent time in Africa, really digging down into the roots of the dance hall culture and collaborating with its stars.

Much like Mylo they left crowds wanting, demanding more almost as soon as the last track on the album finished.

I dont know the full story but for whatever reason Switch left. Diplo and his Mad Decent label absolutely blew up and rode the top of the EDM and Brostep (what most people think of as Dubstep) waves that followed.

Without Switch's refinement or the time invested into a long held culture and with American EDM becoming stereotypically American Major Lazer followed suit. The follow up stuff just lacked that magic, I would argue that care and passion. It was big and brash still but this time with 6 layers of real American cheese, a large fries and a coke.

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    This is probably 90% of the bands I listen to. Very few artists manage to hold my attention past one album.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    R-84276-1537278435-5914.jpeg.jpg

Played this a lot at the turn of the century. Still love it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Dodgy
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • LivDiv wrote:

He didn’t, or at least hasn’t so far. Just a couple of freebie mix CDs given away with Mixmag. He’s teased snippets of new music every now and again over the years, but never actually released any full songs, let alone an album, since the one track he contributed to the War Child compilation.

Mylo’s given various reasons in interviews, so it’s all a bit vague. Initially that he just wasn’t interested in doing any more music, then that he was legally unable to release anything for reasons he couldn’t discuss, then that he’s suffered from tinnitus and hasn’t even been able to DJ.
  • The Strokes - Is This It.
    Foo Fighters debut album
    The Vines - Highly Evolved (I do like Winning Days, but it's not close to this debut)
    Cymbals Eat Guitars - Why There Are Mountains
    Coldplay - A Rush of Blood To The Head (I hate everything else they ever did)
    Electronic - Electronic
    Estrons (they only released one album then split up, so this is a bit of a cheat)
    Guns N' Roses - Appetite
    The Horrors - Skying
    Love - Forever Changes
    Muse - Absolution
    Other Lives - Tamer Animals
    Portishead - Dummy
    Rage Against The Machine - Rage against The Machine
    The Smashing Pumpkins - Gish
    Supergrass - I Should Coco
    Taylor Swift - Folklore
    Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes
    The War on Drugs - Lost in The Dream
    Wintersleep - Welcome to The Night Sky

An awful lot of those are debut albums and this maybe says more about me than them.  If the second album doesn't show progression, I lose interest quickly.

x
  • Yossarian wrote:
    This is probably 90% of the bands I listen to. Very few artists manage to hold my attention past one album.

Hello me!

x
  • poprock wrote:
    LivDiv wrote:

He didn’t, or at least hasn’t so far. Just a couple of freebie mix CDs given away with Mixmag. He’s teased snippets of new music every now and again over the years, but never actually released any full songs, let alone an album, since the one track he contributed to the War Child compilation.

Mylo’s given various reasons in interviews, so it’s all a bit vague. Initially that he just wasn’t interested in doing any more music, then that he was legally unable to release anything for reasons he couldn’t discuss, then that he’s suffered from tinnitus and hasn’t even been able to DJ.

Cheers.
    The legal thing seems incredibly dubious.
    Unless he has a multi album deal or something I guess.
  • I quite like bands with one album/very few albums. Some that I have enjoyed in the past:

Clor - Clor
    Clor_Clor.jpg

Young Marble Giants - Colossal Youth
    Young_Marble_Giants_-_Colossal_Youth_cover.jpg

Faraquet - The View From This Tower
    Faraquet_TheViewFromThisTowerLP_cover.jpeg

My Vitriol - Finelines
    Finelines.jpg

Madvillain - Madvillainy
    Madvillainy_cover.png

I think these are all fairly well known, but there's something fun about an (almost) one-off.

Re-reading Face and most other folk's posts I feel I have maybe misunderstood this?
  • Portishead - Dummy

A weird pick that I understand given your reasoning because Portishead is very much just Dummy#2 but Third is a staggeringly brilliant album, probably in my forever top ten.
  • I've tried with Third on a few occasions, but perhaps not hard enough?  Other than Machine Gun I couldn't name you a single other track on it.

x
  • Plus with Dummy I was 17 and it blew my mind, but I was 32 with Third and had discovered a lot more by that point.
  • 51t-pGNV11L._AC_SY355_.jpg

A literal one album wonder.  Top 20 ever for me, saved it from beyond the bargain bin a Red Cross Shop maybe 18yrs ago (stuff that had been there too long was binned, so my sister in law brought me this home home in a stack of cds).   Was released in 1998, sank without a trace initially.  

Well worth a watch:

• I think there’s two ways this can go. A band can have a brilliant album that outshines everything else they ever release. Or a band can put out one album that’s in a totally different direction or style from their usual output.

For the former, I’d list Biffy Clyro, Cypress Hill, Elastica, Wu Tang Clan and Yeah Yeah Yeahs. All incredible debuts, never again to reach such heights. But I don’t think that’s as interesting as the latter question.

So for a band who swerved styles for one album and blew me away, Chumbawamba. A quick google tells me they released 20 albums, but the only one I ever loved was Anarchy - the one where, in 1994, they deliberately absorbed pop into their sound and aimed to get their agit-prop messages into the mainstream. History remembers them for actually hitting the mainstream two albums later with ‘that’ song about falling down and getting back up again, but by that point they’d gone too far for my tastes. Anarchy was the better record, by far.

The cover art feels like it should maybe be in NSFW spoiler tags, but to be honest it was massively promoted on record shop shelves and even in their windows at the time.
    Spoiler:

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    No idea if these guys did anything else but lapped this one up.

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fimg.wennermedia.com%2F920-width%2Frs-136019-d00a9711defe3031db5b2b9a1057fa7285d8da1e.jpg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    From other albums I've bought I reckon Pat Methany is bonkers but this album is just him messing about with a guitar in his room with a new recording device he bought. Recorded in one night. I go back to this - his others I could probably chuck.

One-Quiet-Night-cover.jpg
  • 1457_foto2_product_xl.jpg

Glassjaw - Worship and Tribute

They've had some great EP's since, and the first album has a couple of bangers but this album to me is them at their peak. And they've never really captured that lightning in a bottle again. Still sounds amazing now.
  • davyK wrote:
    From other albums I've bought I reckon Pat Methany is bonkers but this album is just him messing about with a guitar in his room with a new recording device he bought. Recorded in one night. I go back to this - his others I could probably chuck. One-Quiet-Night-cover.jpg

Heh. That's a cheeky one. But I can dig it. Can think of plenty of those type of prolific musos who basically do genre albums. If the genre hits you right, win.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    He did an album using some hand made mechanical device I think? Very odd. And one of his albums opens with an off-key track with a weird time signature....challenging - one for the fans!!!

:)

I'd feel sorry for anyone who bought A Kind of Blue and then followed up with Bitches Brew thinking they are a Miles Davis fan....there's a subset of the better artists who change quite a bit.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    What time is it?
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    What time is it?

3am Eternal
  • :D
  • @temps. Do you count all the personas for doom as different?!

For me a good single album is Rob Dougans furious angels.

I judge any album with four songs I like as a good album any more and it starts going into great territory.
  • I don’t think fat boy slim made a good record that matches You’ve come a long way baby.
  • His preceding album Better Living Through Chemistry is superior to that tho.
  • @temps. Do you count all the personas for doom as different?!

No but Madvillain was a self-defined duo born of Doom and Madlib so I feel it's a bit separate.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I don’t think fat boy slim made a good record that matches You’ve come a long way baby.

Probably best known - even I own it.
‹ Previous1234

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!