Grand Theft Auto - General Discussion
‹ Previous12
  • It has been highlighted that there isn’t a general GTA thread, and the GTAV thread is by [Deleted User], so here is a thread for general discussion of all things GTA. I will work a bit more on it in time, but hopefully this will do for now.

Lomufcu.png

U1vgvzE.png

Grand Theft Auto 1997 PS1 - DOS/Windows - GBC
    Where it all began. Having milked Lemmings (almost) dry, DMA Design began development on Race 'n' Chase, a top-down racer where you played the cops, pursuing a criminal. That morphed into an open world crime spree, and so GTA was born. The original game somewhat lacked some of the anticipated features (like catching scheduled buses and trains to move around, as a risk-free alternative to driving) this largely did not matter; the marketing campaign had leaned heavily into the public outcry, whipping up a furore. Who cares that you can’t catch the bus when this insane video game is training the nations children to be crazed, homicidal, car-stealing maniacs?

While much of the gameplay holds up, the game’s erratic camera is vomit inducing. It would be interesting to see a reworking of this with modern sensibilities, but the recent remaster of the original 3D trilogy suggests that we couldn’t rely on a decent job.

Expansions:
    Grand Theft Auto London 1969 1999 PS1 - DOS/Windows
    Grand Theft Auto London 1961 1999 DOS/Windows

f63zBuj.png

Grand Theft Auto 2 1999 PS1 - Windows - DC - GBC
    A sequel to the original, set in the future, this introduced a few tweaks to gameplay, with a little more complexity to progress. Arguably an inferior game, despite this.

83kuIDk.png

Grand Theft Auto III 2001 PS2 - XB - Windows - Mac OS… pretty much everything now.
    WOAH! It’s like Grand Theft Auto, but in THREE DIMENSIONS! This is insane. This is what a new generation of consoles is for. This is the future of video games, except it isn’t the future, it’s happening right now, in 2001 (which was the year that everything futuristic would happen if you believed all films and TV in the 80s, but now this sentence is getting complicated). Largely due to the shift to 3D, and the in-engine cutscenes that allowed, this is the first recognisable root of modern GTAs’ gameplay (although the world-building, caricature characters, awesome soundtracks and satire/parody have been staples since the very beginning). Obviously, however, the only thing that the general non-videogame-playing public would talk about was the ability to use a prostitute to boost your health, then kill the prostitute to get your money back. As predicted, this instigated a nationwide wave of sex-worker murder. No, wait, it didn’t.

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City 2002 PS2 - XB - Windows - Mac OS… and so on, and so forth.
    This is everyone’s favourite, right? Sure, some misguided souls rave on about San Andreas, but does anyone have a bad word to say about Vice City? Bold, bright, brilliant. The soundtrack was incredible, and the radio stations that delivered it were pitch perfect. The burgeoning success of the series meant that production values were rocketing, as seen in the stellar cast, with Ray Lotta, Tom Sizemore, and William Fichtner headlining, and supported by the likes of Burt Reynolds, Luis Guzman, and forum-favourite Danny Dyer. This game is so great, there’s no way anyone could ruin it, right?

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas 2004 PS2 - XB - Windows - Mac OS… you know the drill.
    The third instalment of the ‘original trilogy’. Where Vice City was largely a finessing of III, San Andreas was an explosion of scale and features and, to many, tried too hard to do too much. For many players, though, it was the first time in a virtual world of such incredible scale, and the shift to west coast gang culture was a welcome change of tone. Obviously, however, the only thing that the general non-videogame-playing public would talk about was the Hot Coffee mod. Badly animated sex scene between low-resolution polygon puppets. Yay.

2iXmsUw.png

Grand Theft Auto IV 2008 PS3 - 360 - Windows
    Where previously we only had to wait 1-2 years between new GTA software, this was a four year wait, and another new console generation. Jus imagine what all that development time and all that processing power will bring us… Turns out it was sluggish vehicle physics, an achievement for killing all 200 pigeons, and a cousin more annoying than Vinny. It should be noted that a lot of people liked the vehicle physics, and found them more realistic than other entries in the series, which complemented the grittier tone. There are also lengthy videos on YouTube, showing how the AI in IV is superior to V.

Expansions:
    Grand Theft Auto IV: The Lost & The Damned 2009 PS3 - 360 - Windows
    Grand Theft Auto IV: The Ballad of Gay Tony 2009 PS3 - 360 - Windows
    Where IV lacks universal appeal, these expansions appear to be loved by all. The first title featured brief full-frontal male nudity which, in our topsy-turvy world, was deemed by some to be more controversial than, y’know, all of the murder, general violence and mindless distraction that had been in the series from the start.

ZpCiNas.png

Grand Theft Auto V / Online 2013 PS3 - 360 - Windows - PS4 - XBO - PS5 - XSX/S
    Both technically impressive and insanely good fun, it’s no surprise this game will soon be released on its third generation of hardware. The huge world came with a polishing of the graphics that added to the sense of a large, believable game space. The ability to shift between three characters (with a technically impressive, almost unbelievably short delay) allowed for variety in story and gameplay, and salved players’ consciences when they could blame their psychopathic mass-murdering on Trevor’s mental health. As for Online, it seems to be the gift that keeps on giving, although its scale and variety is daunting for the new player.

Oh, also:
    Grand Theft Auto Advance 2004 GBA
    2D, top-down gameplay, but in the original trilogy universe (a prequel to III).
    Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories 2005 PSP - PS2 - plus various others
    Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories 2006 PSP - PS2
    LCS was another prequel to III, while VCS is a prequel to VC.
    Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars 2005 PSP - DS - iOS etc.
    What’s this? Top-down 3D? Okay, I can run with that.
  • Wtf is going on.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Show yourself villian!
  • *spit*
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • It’s not Bob that’s for sure. It has to be drew or redeye
  • Are you sure it's not me?
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Or is it?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    My money's on Drew, with a sneaky e/w on Cinty
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Formatting says Red; content says Gurt. Cinty a live underdog.
  • gta wrote:
    OP

Well, you would say that, wouldn't you?

Thread is clearly an ad. Lock and ban request.
  • Liberty City Stories is the best one, obviously.

Arguing with Player1 and Ronaldhino got me through many a late night working on that game.

x
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    It's Muzzy trying to frame me as revenge for my jibes about his terrible Shenmue III OP.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Not me - don't even like the GTA games, but this is a super good OP. Kudos to whoever put it together. 

My money is on Drew.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Another pound bet for Adkm
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Some way to welcome in a new member.

Welcome to the forum gta.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    It's Muzzy trying to frame me as revenge for my jibes about his terrible Shenmue III OP.
    How very dare you
  • But isn't the latest 'remaster' supposed to be a load of old pap?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    But isn't the latest 'remaster' supposed to be a load of old pap?

Youtube is alight with "bugs and glitches" video's of the remaster.  Digital Foundry also tear it to shreds.  I'm waiting on some of my old R* friends to let me know when good patches come out.  They aren't involved, cos it was outsourced to some mobile team, but of course they all get free copies and can tell me if / when it improves.

Speaking of LCS, I downloaded the Android version a few days ago.  It crashes upon load.  Doesn't even reach the logo.  Last update was over two years ago.  I can't believe they are still selling it in that state!

x
  • I was hyped for it but haven't loaded it up again since launch.
    The "fix" on the gunplay isnt enough so it remains frustrating wank.

I replayed a mission four times where i'm following some guy both of us on bikes, follow him for ages then have a shoot out with piss all cover so its just pure luck if i can lock onto him first rather than a goon and get shots off. The improved checkpoint system didnt include putting a checkpoint at the end of a ten minute unfailable bike chase.

I already muddled through a couple of other gun based missions and could see that the whole game is just going to be an exercise in frustration. For all the glitches and that the real issue is they haven't brought the game up to modern standards from a design perspective.
  • Escape wrote:
    Formatting says Red; content says Gurt. Cinty a live underdog.

Nah. I only really played 4 and 5 properly, I did play a bunch of Vice City one time when I got to borrow a memory cardless PS2.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Apologies ADKM, but testament to your posting that I thought a comprehensive OP was your work. Now, if a Bushido Blade OP shows up...
  • Bushido Blade was too hard for me. Tried it, was crap at it, bounced off it and traded it in.
  • Sorry, forgot this was the GTA Fred.
  • https://youtu.be/VszovawWSv4

2:50 in. I think I want this game now for giggles like this!

x
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I had a cracked version of Bushido Blade so there were no instructions and I couldn't figure out how to play it. I remember rolling around on the ground a lot. I should have probably tried watching the screen, really.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I played bushido blade twice and got comprehensively Dark souls rekt.
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!