Horizon: Forbidden West
‹ Previous123456711
  • 71xulzB.png

Set in the 31st century, hundreds of years after some cataclysmic event that left humans living like prehistoric tribes, while robots, taking the form of various modern animals and dinosaurs, roam the land.  Thanks largely to the art team, the setting feels natural, and not in any way a contrivance to mix bow-and-arrow combat with futuristic augmented reality HUDs and those super-cool robot dinosaurs.

You play as Aloy, a young outcast on a mission to discover what happened to the human race that brought them from being the globally dominant species, to eking out a way of life in pockets of ‘civilisation’. It’s open world fare, with gameplay made up of specific missions, and hunting the robots for specific resources, to craft and improve your arsenal.

7YHzFgL.jpg

Horizon: Zero Dawn Mar 2017 PS4 - Windows

Released in March 2017, it had the misfortune of coming out just before the Nintendo Switch released, which meant that a lot of potential players were focussed on something else, and the exploration of the open world suffered from (unfair) comparisons to Breath of the Wild. To get the negative points out of the way, the response to the much-hyped facial animation tech was not good, perhaps in part due to the unimaginative and overused over-the shoulder camera angles during dialogue.

However, there was a lot to like. The world is wonderfully realised, with visually-arresting tribe styles, a gorgeously-lit landscape, and although 21st century architecture overtaken by lush vegetation is a familiar sight to fans of apocalyptic games and movies, it works well. More importantly, though, that bow-and-ammo combat against cool-looking robots is an absolute riot once you get into the swing of things. The range of bows, arrows, tripwire and proximity traps, as well as the staff and weapons you could detach from the largest creatures meant that a variety of playstyles could be adopted in a single encounter, stealthing through the long grass with quiet kills and booby traps taking on outliers, before leaping into the fray to take on the rest.

Expansion:
    The Frozen Wilds Nov 2017 PS4 - Windows

Comics:
    Horizon Zero Dawn: The Sunhawk Jul-Nov 2020, collected paperback Dec 2020
    Horizon Zero Dawn: Liberation Jul-Dec 2021, collected paperback Feb 2022

These are worth a look if you like the world of Horizon. They’re all written by the same author, but a different illustrator was used for each series, so it’s neat to see different takes on the same design. They also let us see more of some of the supporting cast.

obDR6DL.jpg

Horizon: Forbidden West Feb 2022 PS4 - PS5

So far, this looks great, with a mix of the familiar and the new. The journey west appears to lead to more lush environments, with a shift to topical climates, moving away from the dry deserts of Zero Dawn, and snowy mountains of Frozen Wilds.

It’ll be interesting to see how Guerrilla use the haptics and adaptive triggers of the DualSense. If Astrobot, Returnal, and Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart are anything to go by, it should add to the immersion, connecting the player to the on-screen combat. Hopefully, there will be a little bit more imagination with the cut scenes (Ghost of Tsushima was criticised for weirdly distant cameras, but at least Sucker Punch were mixing it up). And, without mentioning spoilers for those who haven’t finished the first, it will be great to see where they are taking the story.

• Nice Bot.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Top work OP.

Not a big fan of open-worldly Ubisoft repeat ‘em ups but thought OG Horizon was a decent time. Combat really elevated it, feeling reactive and genuinely improvisational, even if the human AI was absolute guff. First game did enough for me to give the 2nd the benefit of the doubt, so will likely give it a go.
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    Nice Bot.

WyGcwiJ.jpg

Play nice.
  • Nice OP

I had fun with the first Horizon but didn’t love it. I’ll definitely play this one though as I enjoyed the first enough to want to continue the story and fight more robot dinos
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Top work OP.

Hmm. Hmmmmm.
  • Ah. A human who posts like a bot. Gotcha.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • I'm quite far into Horizon: Zero Dawn, been going through it since the 60fps patch dropped for it. 

Overall its a great game, the story is strong, the beasts are brilliant IMO, I choose to steer clear wherever I can. My last play through saw me take down a massive bird like creature, and it was my GMOTY (gaming moment lol) - a real highlight. I haven't been back for a few months, but will certainly aim to finish before the new one drops.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    A game I couldn’t get into when I borrowed the disc from someone here and gave it back. After the hype I the tried again when it was on offer on a PS4 sale and enjoyed it quite a bit more. But again I stopped. And glad I did as that is when the 60fps patch game out on PS5 and it was such a great job that I went straight to the end.

One main complaint, beyond the already mentioned animation, is the map is just so overloaded with stuff it actually didn’t make me want to explore.

I will, however, go back for the expansion before starting the new game.

Great OP Cinty.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Top OP Bob
  • Lol
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I didn't get very far with it. I was getting into the story and thought the robots were pretty fucking ace but the human enemies and camps sort of put me off it and I never realy tried to level up my skills. I'll go back one day and see it through hopefully.
  • I finished it but I was playing for the graphics really. Was a mostly gorgeous game that didn't suit a rushed playthrough and showed me nothing to suggest it'd he worth taking my time. I've read that the combat is good from a few people so I don't doubt that my enjoyment was hampered by whichever weapon combo I latched onto, it just wasn't for me. No interest in the sequel past dem gfx
  • Fighting humans was a bit crap, fighting robot animals/dinos was great. So good that I loved exploring just to get into what scrapes came my way. I have high hopes for this one.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I've also struggled to get very far in. Should probably give it some more 60fps love.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Makes a big difference.
  • I played the first one and found it boring and overly complicated in terms of controls tbh, will probably get this though because PS5 got no games lol
  • Yeah I bet it plays just like that lol.

Git gud! ;)
  • Press x for cutscene, run 2m, press circle for cutscene, press Square to initiated punch cutscene.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    The third person action adventure thing just goes on and on and on for Sony. Run around stunning environments hiding in tall grass and stealth killing enemies.

• Aloy wrote:
    Horizon: Zero Dawn[/size] Mar 2017 PS4 - Windows
    Released in March 2017, it had the misfortune of coming out just before the Nintendo Switch released, which meant that a lot of potential players were focussed on something else...

Heh.  And the sequel will have the misfortune of being released a week before Elden Ring!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Elden what now?
    From reset...
    It’s so smart to get Sunhi to play the game for you. Kinda surprised more devs aren’t hiring this dude to do the same.
  • This game could've been the poster girl for the PS5.  Instead its a cross gen compromise.
  • The God of War cross-gen decision surprised me even more. Probably means we won't get a firing on all next gen cylinders GoW until the next gen has been current gen for most of a gen.
‹ Previous123456711

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!