Best Retro Reinventions
‹ Previous12
  • These seem quite popular in recent years.  Which ones do you feel do it right, which ones get it wrong and why.  

Streets of Rage 4 would be unassailable if I turned the results into a tier list I expect, but there are dozens of other attempts to update retro titles while keeping the fundamental elements in place.  I'm thinking from-where-we-left-off continuations like Sonic Mania, Windjammers 2, Megaman 11 and Monsterboy and the Cursed Kingdom rather than straight remakes like Lizardcube's Wonderboy III: The Dragon's Trap or Alex Kidd in Maracle World DX, or major 2D to 3D reinventions like Super Mario 64.
  • Sonic 4 and Sonic Mania are 2 great examples of how to get it very right, and how to get it very wrong.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The recent Dooms and Wolfensteen (that’s the plural of Wolfenstein, right?) are worth a shout.
  • DOOM 2016 is near enough on par with SOR4 for me, good shout. Love the originals but what a way to bring the series back.
  • Geometry Wars RE, which I've started playing again on a daily basis. I have this fantasy of of beatinig a very close friend's high score which he set maybe 15 years ago, and when I do I'm going to screen grab the leaderboard, have it printed off onto a custom jigsaw puzzle, and then mail it to him for Christmas
  • Thats amazing, I wish you luck in this endeavour.
  • Shredder's Revenge is the biggy on the horizon for me.
    No reason to think it won't be excellent after SOR4
  • The Shredders Revenge devs are apparenty ex-Ubisoft employees who worked on the GBA TMNT and Scott Pilgrim.
  • Very much hoping Return to Monkey Island is going to do the business on this front.
  • monkey wrote:
    Very much hoping Return to Monkey Island is going to do the business on this front.

I'm struggling with the art direction on it. Need to see it in motion but would've much preferred something closer to monkey 2
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Looks much more in line with the vector style of the remastered versions than the pixelated originals ie not as good.
  • JonB wrote:
    This is looking good:

Aw man awesome. Loved the SNES games. I had super mint like new copy of 2 which was one of my most regretted sales. Did get over £200 for it though.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Does outrun 2 count?

If so, outrun 2.
    SFV - reddave360
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Does outrun 2 count? If so, outrun 2.

The PS2/Oldbox era Outrun games are on my shortlist of best example of an old game redone for modern audiences.

The Tempests are hot too - T2K is retro I suppose now but T4K is a cracker.

Cave created a whole new way to approach the ancient 2D up the screen shooting game. It's high time they got back to that.   Treasure kicked Gradius up the arse big time.

Virtua Tennis, Wii/Switch Tennis realise the original vision of the Activision Tennis game on the old 2600 and various ropey upgrades through the years (and Pong for that matter) They are quite something.

Quite a good job was made of those later released Megaman games.

Pacman CE (and the Dx upgrade) is a triumph
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    Very much hoping Return to Monkey Island is going to do the business on this front.

I'm struggling with the art direction on it. Need to see it in motion but would've much preferred something closer to monkey 2

Same. Might feel differently when I finally play it (I often do with games I dislike the look of early on) but initial reaction is hmmm.
  • monkey wrote:
    The Shredders Revenge devs are apparenty ex-Ubisoft employees who worked on the GBA TMNT and Scott Pilgrim.

Ah good. I saw a video where one of them said they worked on the GBA Ninja Turtles game, was hoping it was the Ubisoft one.
  • Outrun 2 always counts.
  • Davy got in ahead of me with Pac Man CE.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Did anyone play Galaga Legions or its sequel? Nearly bought the DX version plenty of times.
  • Dotemu are obviously doing great work in this area, and will be doing more sequels and revivals rather than remakes going forward. They're also now looking more at 3D and the late 90s/early 2000s for inspiration, so Saturn, PS1, PS2 etc., and lead designer Jordi Asensio is a huge Sega fan, so there's probably going to be more of their stuff to come.
  • A 2D Shinobi could potentially trump everything for me, although I wouldn't say no to a proper NIGHTS revival. With Yuji Naka employed as office mascot of course.
  • JonB wrote:
    Dotemu are obviously doing great work in this area, and will be doing more sequels and revivals rather than remakes going forward. They're also now looking more at 3D and the late 90s/early 2000s for inspiration, so Saturn, PS1, PS2 etc., and lead designer Jordi Asensio is a huge Sega fan, so there's probably going to be more of their stuff to come.

Outrun 3 confirmed.
  • Hopefully they do a teaser campaign where you have to guess which game they're bringing back based on limited information.
  • Top tier

Streets of Rage 4
    DOOM 2016/Eternal
    Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
    Monster Boy in the Cursed Kingdom
    Sonic Mania
    Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection
    Pacman Championship Edition/DX
    Hard Corps Uprising
    Metroid Dread

Second tier

Megaman 11
    Windjammers 2
    Space Invaders Extreme
    Pang Adventures
    Donkey Kong Country Returns
    Blaster Master Zero Series
    Castle of Illusion

All great for existing fans looking to inhale nostalgia or retro leaning newbies looking to play something genuinely good.  Unlike, say, Toejam & Earl: Back in the Groove, which couldn't be enjoyed without an affinity for the series imo.  Or Sonic 4, which surely can't really be enjoyed by anyone.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Hopefully they do a teaser campaign where you have to guess which game they're bringing back based on limited information.
    I did an interview with them for Edge Studio Profile and they wouldn't give any details away, but did say they've got 3 big in-house projects still to announce. What a tease.
  • Golden Axe would be great
  • Bionic Commando ReArmed is up there.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    A 2D Shinobi could potentially trump everything for me, although I wouldn't say no to a proper NIGHTS revival. With Yuji Naka employed as office mascot of course.

If a game needs a proper modern treatment it is Nights. And no effing walking around either.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Space Invaders Extreme
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Fightcade2.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!