regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Based off a throwaway comment from last week's Nextlander podcast, what are your top 5 arcade cabinets of all time, ranked please. Pinball is separate.

For me -

1)Time Crisis 2 ACTION. It is the absolute daddy, when you find one with the slide working in a bowling alley you know what you need to do- get at least to the forest, and at best to the rocket. What a stormer. Gimmick gaming at its finest.

products-Time_Crisis__32228.1399296039.1280.1280.jpg

2) Street Fighter 4 Specifically in a smoke filled bar in Tokyo, with me with two cans of chuhai at my side as someone playing as Honda recks my Ken. Best moment of my arcade life was where someone lost to me then flicked their cig at me because I was a gaijin. 17882_1.jpg

3)Crazy Taxi YA YA YA YA YA.

Crazy-Taxi-1-scaled-e1599462331231-2.jpg

4)NBA Jam TE This was a couple years old by the time I moved to the states, and all of my high school pals loved to just fuck around on it. Never any high level play, just lots of shouting PIPPIN.

1181242139135.jpg

5)Darius Burst stick 20 screens at me, plug in my own headphones and let me kill space fish to some chill ass music. You absolutely love to see it.

137509053.jpg
  • My number one is probably the OG Out Run, anytime you spotted it in an arcade or bar on a childhood holiday. “Daaad, can I have some pesetas to play Out Run?”

The adults were getting drunk on cheap sangria, I was high on pixelated Ferraris and Magical Sound Shower.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Out Run Coast To Coast is at the window chapping in right now. I love it so
  • My favourite arcade cabinet pre-dates the invention of videogames. Used to love this mechanical bad-boy when I was a nipper...
    FF0K2Fv.jpg
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • 1. Virtua Cop. Perfect Sega shooting.

2. Streetfighter II. Not fussed fussed which version, even a weird 'black belt' edition would do. I don't bother playing if I see it these days but the brief craze of a SFII cab being in every chippy/cab office was a big part of my adolescence.

3. Galaxian. My first arcade game. Never been any good at it but that's never stopped me trying.

4. Robocop. Not quite as amazing as the opening screens promised but always one of the first ARCADE GAMES that springs to mind.

5. Sega Rally. My favourite arcade racer.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    @g

Half a bob per play?
  • Probably was. I was too young to understand coinage. :D
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    The lack of photos in this thread is disturbing.

1. Star Wars - has to be the sit down version. Most of my holiday money every summer went on this.
    737_star-wars-cockpit.jpg

2. Space Invaders Table - upstairs at the King’s cinema. When mom used to take us she always went into the bar before the film and bought a whiskey and Canada Dry while I played this.
    taito_4_2048x2048.jpg?v=1605083080

3. Time Crisis - tbf could have been any of these types of games but this was the one I played the most.
    238_time-crisis-deluxe.jpg

4. Air Hockey - nothing else needs to be said.
    3352_wik-gold-air-hockey.jpg

5. Donkey Kong Jnr. - downstairs at the King’s cinema used to play this pre film.
    Donkey-Kong-Junior-Arcade-Game.jpg

• FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Is half a bob more or less than a chalice or 10p?
  • Think these old mechanical machines were 5p a go. iirc it was just after decimalisation. Think the likes of Pong might have been 5p in some places when it appeared on the scene, but by the time things like Space Invaders arrived, prices went up to 10p a go.
  • God I was only thinking how I missed the old days when the arcades was home to cutting edge tech. Even with snes sf2, it was clear the coin op was the place to be. Arguably it was the ps that turned the tables.

Anyway, off the top of my head.

1. Turtles - playing this today with my daughter and her friend brought back the fun of playing a 4 player turtles game with friends. Button mashing frantic fun.

2. Virtua boxing - this felt almost like a workout. I'm not sure we ever really figured out the exact controls but it was impressive to look at and the unique 2 glove approach was ace.

3. Street fighter 2 - as above, any version would do. Preferable the big screen with the sit down play but a stand up cabinet had its moments as well.

4. Table top pac man - a beautiful way to present this type of game and pac man is glorious. I've also played the space invaders one, either are just glorious to play on.

5. Daylong 4 player - you could sub virtua racing here to be honest but these big cabinets with their pumping sounds and eye tearing visuals were amazing and getting 4 mates behind the wheels was just the business.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I have never played an arcade game.
  • How has no one mentioned the 4 player, Turtles or Simpson’s cabinets? Fantastic memories of playing those in Whitby with my cousins.

Great shouts for Time Crisis, but would put Point Blank up there too.

• Syph79 wrote:
    How has no one mentioned the 4 player, Turtles or Simpson’s cabinets? Fantastic memories of playing those in Whitby with my cousins.

They were class. Loved how Homer was just a proper brawler in the Simpsons game.
  • I preferred Gauntlet and Gauntlet 2 for four-player shenanigans. (Might be an age thing I guess?)
  • F Zero AX

DdprnibUQAATvRN.jpg
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Pictures people!
    Spoiler:

Nice one Daddy!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    Pictures people!
    Spoiler:

Nice one Daddy!

Get rekt
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:
    Pictures people!
    Spoiler:

Nice one Daddy and Reg!

Get rekt

• Hard drivin is first to spring to mind. Clutch pedal and gear stick and polygons....mind blown!
    The fact it was shit didn't really matter cos it seemed so much more 'real' than other games, just assumed it was hard to drive for real ;)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Power drift with the sit in cab moving about was pretty cool.
    Saga Rally
    Daytona
    Hang on
    Yer basic 2 player cab my favourite was golden axe.
    Wrestlefest
    Time crisis
    Out run
    Point blank
    Track and field

So many iconic cabs in arcades on our yearly holidays to Weymouth in the late 80s, early 90s.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Nice thread.

I'm with Moot on Virtua Cop. After the first few Virtua games changed everything, Virtua Cop was like an alien beast, even amongst it's recent predecessors. I think the key was how much was going on on screen in that game.

Looked like a ropey episode of the A-Team, but you could pick up the lightgun, and walk straight into that scene.

Remarkable.

Daytona was the only other cabinet that had that effect on me. I won't go as far as to say that videogame graphics have been an anticlimax since that time, but at that time it was released, it was so far ahead of anything visually, that it took almost a decade to supercede it, and I'd argue that game graphics haven't progressed much further to date...

Other cabs that I fondly remembered were...

- X-Men, CotA... I still credit Capcom with the Marvel revival that sticks with us to this day. They did a better job animating those characters than the cartoon studios at the time

- G-LOC... Crazy pricey, and a weak game, but you couldn't get more decadent than a capsule that rotated 360degs

- Super Street Fighter 2 Tournament Battle Edition... Loved that concept... Back then, with no Google, I had no idea of the scene it apparently heralded

Special mention to Galaxian 3, which was crazy. Can't imagine what that must have cost to install.

There are others... A good number of Neo Geo ones too, but the 6 above really stuck in my mind.

"I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Ikari Warriors. Loved those twistable sticks. 
    ikari.webp
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    And Super Sprint was mad fun with three people playing.
    Super-Sprint-Arcade-Game.jpg
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Ahh Super Sprint. Such a great game. Totally forgot that existed.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    P_Huntdown_Arcade2.jpg

The dream

Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Battlezone - absolutely revolutionary at the time. Took a lot of the little money I had.
    Front_Side_2.jpg
  • After Burner
    28def707662c432d19c590a40ce4e9ea.png

Super Hang-On
    super_hang_on_cabinet.jpg

Space Harrier
    Space_harrier.jpg

Time Crisis 29b2c7e9c95ad344e48392e36a3d45816.jpg

Dance Dance Revolution
    2250_dance-dance-revolution-arcade-x-sthumb.jpg
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    These are not top 5s
‹ Previous12345

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!