Holidays
  • Going to London on Saturday for 5 days or so. Not so much a holiday as visiting a friend but still nice to get away :)
    Twitter: Andy_Wharton | PSN: thehumantarget86 | Xbox Live: humantarget86 | Steam: thehumantarget
  • I'm off to Tokyo next week.  Anyone got any recommendations on some places to visit?
  • I am going to Crete on my Honeymoon on Thursday, which is going to be amazing and only a year after the wedding! My wife is pregnant so it looks like I'll be drinking for two (ho ho she's not tired of hearing that one) we're going all inclusive which I have never done before so should be an experience. Last holiday as a couple, next one will be as a family, scary!

Is she very pregnant?

regards

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    I'm coming over with my nine year old twins to Scotland for couple of weeks in August. Mostly going to be staying with family in the east coast, gorging on deep fried food. My sister lives up in Cullen, so we'll be doing a bit of a scenic tour around that area.
    Things can only get better.
  • Nexx wrote:
    I'm off to Tokyo next week.  Anyone got any recommendations on some places to visit?
    How long are you going for? Any chance of heading to places outside of Tokyo?
  • Nexx wrote:
    I'm off to Tokyo next week.  Anyone got any recommendations on some places to visit?
    Korea, you bastard.
  • Sugamo on the weekends, it is ridden with dandy olds.
  • Finally booked a short honeymoon to follow our wedding. A few days on Santorini. Taking a bit of a risk with Greece what with possible financial melt-down followed by serious civil unrest but I figure the tax-dodging raki drinkers could do with the cash.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    2gso0fo.jpg

Guys, seriously??

I expected more of a response.  Miserable fuckers.
  • How long are you going for? Any chance of heading to places outside of Tokyo?

Just 5 days. I'm planning to do a day trip to Nikko but don't think I really have the time to visit somewhere like Kyoto.

Korea, you bastard.

Maybe later in the year...

• Yeeeah!

I think Billy went to Japan relatively recently. Might be worth asking him.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Back from Leeds.  Leeds is still a shithole.  However, Harrogate (which we went to for the afternoon/evening) is lovely.  See here: 15gch91.jpg Also, Harrogate has this pub.  I tried to explain why I found this so amusing but I'm not sure I succeeded. 2gso0fo.jpg

Harrogate makes up for Leeds general fail at everything. See you got the weather for it as well. Win.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Yes but the PUB.
  • There appear to be some exceedingly large lampshades outside the pub.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Yes but the PUB.

the Pub looks lovely as well, all basking in the sunshine. 
    those hanging baskets look the business :D
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Nexx wrote:
    How long are you going for? Any chance of heading to places outside of Tokyo?
    Just 5 days. I'm planning to do a day trip to Nikko but don't think I really have the time to visit somewhere like Kyoto.
    Korea, you bastard.
    Maybe later in the year...

I was going to suggest Kyoto! Everyone I know who has been says it's great. Never made it that far myself. If you fancy a half-day trip out of the city, head to Kamakura. It's the monastery district, really nice area. It's a bit of a contrast to Asakusa, in central Tokyo. I found Asakusa to be a bit of a tourist trap, and didn't like how it felt a bit fake and over-crowded. Kamakura is touristy, but there seemed to be a lot more locals there. 

You could do that in the morning (probably best to bring a bite), have a walkabout, ogle the massive buddha, feed the friendly squirrels, then head back to Tokyo and head to a quality sushi/ramen bar. 

Since you might be away during the euros – if you're absolutely desperate to catch up on the footy, go to The Footnik. http://www.footnik.net/ Full of gaijin, as you'd expect, but also plenty of friendly locals. It's not far from Shinjuku, iirc, so there's plenty of other places to wander to. 

It's been 14 years since I was there, so there's not much in the way of restaurants, etc, I can recommend! Would love to go back, though. Tokyo is awesome.
  • I'm going nowhere. not even to flipping Harrogate. Want to save my holidays for the birth of the wee one.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    Unlikely wrote:
    2gso0fo.jpg
    Guys, seriously?? I expected more of a response.  Miserable fuckers.

But we're the badgers now. It's more a badge than an insult.

I still find the name on pubs/street signs funny though.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    We need to sort a honeymoon. Have asked, if people want to, for holiday vouchers for wedding gifts so the plan is to see how much that generates and take it from there.

A lot of people are saying Greece is cheap but maybe I'm being overly cautious but I don't fancy that plan much. Or a holiday in Greece, frankly.

Would like to go Eastern Europe again but most of the places don't have the Euro so I'm not sure if it's bargain time or not. Certainly in Serbia they tied their exchange rate to the Euro so it probably is.
  • Off to Salzburg in August to visit family, so that'll be beer-tastic.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Between late 2011 and 2012 I managed 4 foreign holidays in less than 12 months, which was fucking lovely it has to be said. This year the only thing I've got planned is a few days in Barcelona in June, as the GF seems intent in wasting all our would be holiday cash on decorating, which is the polar opposite of fucking lovely.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    We need to sort a honeymoon. Have asked, if people want to, for holiday vouchers for wedding gifts so the plan is to see how much that generates and take it from there. A lot of people are saying Greece is cheap but maybe I'm being overly cautious but I don't fancy that plan much. Or a holiday in Greece, frankly. Would like to go Eastern Europe again but most of the places don't have the Euro so I'm not sure if it's bargain time or not. Certainly in Serbia they tied their exchange rate to the Euro so it probably is.

I got married in March and went to a place between York and Scarborough. In a Cabin in the Woods. 
    Scarborough didn't have a fair.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    How about a fayre?
  • Mod74 wrote:
    How about a fayre?

Cleverness has failed you Mod. 
    Scarborough Fair.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarborough_Fair_(fair)

Mod being smart - its a hotel.
  • Gremill wrote:
    Off to Salzburg in August to visit family, so that'll be beer-tastic.
    I went to Salzsburg 5 years ago. Probably my favourite city in Europe.
  • Only been there the once but I'd say Bruges was my favourite city, could quite happily live there (if I won the Euromillions).

Always loved Sweden as well, but not any one particular place, just the place in general. Not sure if even a lottery win would be enough to live there though.
  • When you were in Bruges did you enjoy the architecture?  You know, the old buildings and shit?
  • Did you see ze alcoves?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!