Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    A thread for everything set in the grim dark future of post-apocalyptic Moscow. Spoilers will be kept to a minimum but should be expected. You have been warned.

metro-last-light-logo-1.jpg
    Summary

Inspired by the novel Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky, the Metro games are set in a post-nuclear war Moscow. The survivors have fled into the metro, which was designed to work as a fallout shelter as well as a public transit system. In the twenty or so years that have passed since the bombs fell, things other than the human survivors have colonised the tunnels.

Games

Metro 2033 is available now on Xbox 360 and Windows (on disc or via Steam). A PlayStation 3 version was planned but later cancelled. Fight Communists, Neo Nazis, bandits, mutants, and ghosts to save your home station from "the dark ones". Make use of shadows to sneak past your enemies, or go in guns blazing. You can save up the rare military grade ammo you find to trade for gas masks (required to survive on the surface) and new weapons, or use their extra stopping power to put down troublesome enemies.

The DLC 'Ranger Pack' ups the ante by adding two new modes to the game; Ranger and Ranger Hardcore. In both, ammo supplies are reduced, but bullets do more damage. In Ranger, the HUD is reduced, while in Ranger Hardcore it's removed completely. The pack also adds two new weapons, the Heavy Automatic Shotgun and the Volt Driver.

Metro: Last Light is planned for release in Q1 of 2013, on Xbox 360, Windows, PlayStation 3 and Wii U. Originally called Metro 2034 (the same title as the book sequel), it was later changed as the game and the book have very different plots. The author was still involved in the game's development, however.

Links

Official site
    YouTube Channel
    Metro 2033 novel wiki page
    Metro 2033 game wiki page
    Last Light wiki page
    Metro 2033 Xbox.com page
    Ranger Pack DLC Xbox.com page
    Last Light Xbox.com page
    Metro 2033 Steam page
    Last Light Steam page
    Metacritic pages for 2033: Xbox 360 and Windows

Articles

Making Every Breath Count in Metro: Last Light - IGN
    Metro: Last Light for Wii U unlikely to come at same time as other versions - Examiner

Videos
    Metro 2033: Fear the Future (launch trailer)

Machinima's exclusive 12 minute gameplay video for Last Light.

Live action trailer for Last Light. (Click here for 'Making Of'.)

Artyom explores a downed passenger jet in this game play video from the PC version of Last Light.

Interview with Huw Beyron, on how Last Light blends action with survival horror, and linear with emergent gameplay.

"Genesis" trailer.

Pictures, art, screen shots
    Metro-2033-Logo.jpg
    Logo for 2033
    metro-last-night-e3-2011-screenshots.jpg
    E3 screenshot from Last Light

1265308735.jpg
    Neo Nazi tank from 2033

ip6z5x.jpg
    The game features a minimal HUD. Here the player is checking their current objective in 2033.

Fear the Future
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Cannot wait for this. First is one of my favourite games this gen.
  • Is this something to do with that Metro 2024 or whatever it was called, that was out t'other year?

regards

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Is this something to do with that Metro 2024 or whatever it was called, that was out t'other year? regards g.man

Yup. Metro 2034 was it's place holder name as it's a sequel to 2033.

2033 was immense. Loved it. Very definition of a flawed masterpiece, though, some times the enemies were like psychic snipers. The story/universe was compelling enough to get me through the rough bits.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    It's the "sequel" to Metro 2033, yes.
  • Trailer looks very Fallout 3 but still awesome. Can't help but feel it has fuck all to do with the actual game.
  • I must pick it up someday. Always rather fancied the look of it.

regards

g.man
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    I must pick it up someday. Always rather fancied the look of it.

As I said, I loved it. It's very similar in tone/gameplay/pacing to Half Life.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Just grabbed it for £8.40 new from Amazon.
    Get schwifty.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Canon ending is not the ending I chose. Oh well. If I can sneak through a Facist station slitting their throats i'll be happy.

Any section with the Gas mask was incredily tense. The Librarians man. Those Librarians.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Oh Jesus. The bit upstairs was horrible. Proper ARGGH <spray SMG fire, run, die>
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    The Librarians man. Those Librarians.

All I can say is god bless the combat shotgun.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I shot far too much good money at them.
  • Picked up Metro and Darksiders in some kind of weird combo pack this week. No idea why they're packaged together but they're two games I've felt I missed out on and it only cost a tenner for both. Hallo.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    They're both Toy Head Quarters games.

Hope you like Metro.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Aye, Metro 2033 was wonderful.
  • Very much looking forward to it. I've been a bit short on new stuff and I reckon I'm hankering after a new solo game. Both seem to fit the bill. 

Do we have a Darksiders 2 thread? It's looking boss.
  • g.man wrote:
    I must pick it up someday. Always rather fancied the look of it. regards g.man

Think I might still have it. Want a loan of it?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Actually, I've just noticed Metro 2033 is 2 quid on Steam.
  • I wrote a new post about this on the old forum and no one gave a shit. I seem to remember most people saying they didnt like it. The first game had some amazing touches and gameplay traits.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • I know close to dick all about it. Hoping it's arrived at my parents gaff for me to pick up this weekend as mrs dare is off to the peaks on a school residential. Woop!
  • g.man wrote:
    I must pick it up someday. Always rather fancied the look of it. regards g.man

Think I might still have it. Want a loan of it?
    No worries mate. I can pick it up for pennies here, but thanks for the kind offer.

ta

g.man

• No prob. 

Means I just have to play it now... It's on a backlog pile.
  • Aye, Metro 2033 was wonderful.

If you're definition of wonderful is a 'a bit...meh'

Ankle biting 'mutants' that you can't shoot cos the guns felt all wrong does not a good game make.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Fucking hell you're a moany one you. Great atmosphere, tension, guns that were shit, but understandably so in the situation presented, ammo as currency...great game.
  • I enjoyed 2033 enough to buy the book. Haven't read it yet though. Has anyone else read the books?
  • Yeah I read the book intending to play the game (which I still havent played yet). It was quite good but very heavy. I don't know if it was to do with the translation, but the book just didn't flow.
    It was full of great ideas though, but the ending sucked.
    The library section really stood out in the book, was it the same in the game?
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • When I first got the book I read the first few pages and heavy was the impression I got. Will get round to reading it properly soon.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    I'm just about to finally polish off the book. Took me ages; I thought it was terrible but it became something I had to do as I love the concept. 

I think the translation didn't help but overall I'm not sure it could be considered good and I usually lap that sort of stuff up. 

Must go back and do the game properly, though.

Edit: Heavy it ain't.
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Glukhovsky speaks perfect English so I believe he did the English version himself.

• metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    Then sadly it slides a bit lower when it comes to my estimation.
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
‹ Previous123456716

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!