Monster Hunter
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Cindy - Stoph - TEAM NOOBZ?!?

Aaaawww Yeah! n00bZ4eva, I/we fear nothing!  can we grab a veteran, as I feel scared of the unknown.

• regmcfly wrote:
    Also I have a mic for why I dunno but I have a turtle beach

Friday(maybe Sat) will be the day to bust the dust off that mic reggie & justify its purchase.  This Fri will be full of MH & impluse buying win!
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Where's a good "beginners guide"? I literally have played 0 monster hunter bar the demos as I know it's fairly unforgiving to newbies.

Try these guys out. They do a podcast and a beginner's guide eBook. They also have a YouTube channel, IIRC. Don't worry about it being unforgiving, I'd only played a couple of hours on the PSP before jumping into Tri. The solo stuff acts as a great introduction to the game. Just do a few offline quests before going online.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    I wouldn't bother with any of that - just learn as you go - that's half the fun. It may be a little daunting at first, but it rewards perseverance. ;)

The EDGE review sums up it up nicely.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Yeah, the trick is not to worry about it. There's tons to learn. I put loads of time into MH3T and was still a noob.

In other news, the launch trailer has me all kinds of moist.

For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • cindemon wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    Aaaawww Yeah! n00bZ4eva, I/we fear nothing!  can we grab a veteran, as I feel scared of the unknown.

Sounds like a plan. Can we set team-killing firmly to off, if there is such a thing? Otherwise I fear for my place on Team Noobz. I will hastily look up what the game is actually about now. I envisage a finely oiled killing machine, akin to that of the suicide bombers in Four Lions.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Stopharage wrote:
    Sounds like a plan. Can we set team-killing firmly to off, if there is such a thing? Otherwise I fear for my place on Team Noobz. I will hastily look up what the game is actually about now. I envisage a finely oiled killing machine, akin to that of the suicide bombers in Four Lions.

There's no 'friendly fire' in MH, but you can knock your friends down if you get too carried away with some of the larger weapons.
  • cindemon wrote:
    Good to know.  Time to burn up one of my last goes on the demo & finally choose my weapon of choice.

You'll probably want to be master of a few weapons - it helps when dealing with the various monstas.
  • Gotcha moose, my 11 year old son did mention that to me aswell. Think I have 2 WMDs in mind.  Can I be a true pussy distant fighter in this.  Does it help the wrecking crew if one of you are a range hunter?
  • Stopharage wrote:
    cindemon wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    I envisage a finely oiled killing machine, akin to that of the suicide bombers in Four Lions.

Lol, you see my vision aswell.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Team Rubber Dinghy Rapids
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Team Rubber Dinghy Rapids

Isn't that on Kinect Adventures ?
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Reserved the 3DS version at work. Will (probably) only buy it if I pass my motorbike exam this Friday. Exciting times!

Been looking forward to this for ages, and slightly gutted I can't afford a WiiU for this at the moment. On the other hand, I hardly played any SP stuff in Tri, so this is my chance to do that, get the best looking suit out there, and then maybe jump into the WiiU version later this year.

I actually start to feel slightly lonely now...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Two questions.

1) is my fair hunter available on ITunes?

2) does anyone know what episode to start with for TRi stuff?
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    You'd do well to have at least one semi-seasoned player in your party or it could turn into a case of 'the blind leading the blind'. lol!  ;)
  • Curtis wrote:
    You'd do well to have at least one semi-seasoned player in your party or it could turn into a case of 'the blind leading the blind'. lol!  ;)

Hhhmmm, on reading the Edge review, this does seem to be the case.  I see chaos without a shepard, but chaos can be fun....right? 
  • If the DS version had a genuine infrastructure mode for online play I'd be all over this.  The unspoken etiquette of lance charges and longsword spirit blades is a thing of beauty.  One thing that the franchise has had is a decent and friendly online community. The PS1 days were great because you were just so happy that anyone could get the thing online and the PSP required a modicum of tomfoolery to do the same but it was much easier.  I thought Tri had generally kind players, not many obstructive egos out there even during the end game grind fest.  I'm sure you guys will have heaps of fun.  Like our forum rules, dicks don't play MH.
    3DS: 2105-8748-8084 Switch: SW-3316-5834-8308 PSN: aynsleyw
  • It's worth searching YouTube for social dissonance, he has plenty of tutorial videos based around the weapons, or attacking edifice monsters with specific weapons

He also did a complete let's play of offline Tri with level appropriate gear so it's an excellent way of learning what upgrade paths to consider, skills and armour sets and general behavioural patterns.

once you get a little more familiar with the game he is part of a podcast which in the early days used to have a wealth of strategies, and answering listener mail, which was invaluable to me, but may go over your head if you are new to the series.

man, I can't wait for the post to arrive at work, might have to have a suspiciously long toilet break
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Two questions. 1) is my fair hunter available on ITunes? 2) does anyone know what episode to start with for TRi stuff?

My Fair Hunter isn't up on iTunes. I follow both Roy Blakely and Sarah O’Donnell on Twitter - lovely people they are too. As for episodes, the very first My Fair Hunter is all about Tri. Most of them are. Dive in.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    In I go
  • Nooooo! You have it mcfly?

Good luck bud, you are now the Shepard of team rapid rubber n00b dingy!

Bah, I just know Amazon are gonna dick me on this!  Friday is clear, Sat is full of parental duties till late evening.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    3DS- not WiiU
  • Aaahhhh, yet I still feel envy.

Off to work in a mo, perhaps 8/9 hours of work will allow my eyes to turn to from green to their natural blue...

Happy hunting!
  • started 3ds at lunch, wii-u not arrived yet, and without the data transfer tool i need to be on 3ds primarily at the moment as i am on the road at the weekend

Looks like a lot of snow falling here tomorrow, it would be such a shame for the office to be shut and me have to play this all day instead

That village chief doesn't half go on, I've managed to unlock the guild quests (albeit just mushroom gathering at the moment) though, so i'm nearly off on proper adventures

I think i'm gonna miss subquests

Have decided to main Great Sword for the time being, which i think i'll try and stick with offline, but I'd like to get into Hunting Horn online to provide a bit of support
  • Amazon have dispatched, Friday could be golden day off if the Royal Mail Gods play nice!
  • I'm hoping Shopto have come up trumps again and delivered this today. Then at least I can work out what the buttons are before my virgin B&B sesh.

I can do most nights after the kids go to bed which is around 8.
  • I really don't know why I keep ordering with Amazon.

Gonna offline for a bit first, just to take a few shades of greenhorn off but really up for hooking up & party hunting ASAP. Eldest boy has his own account/ID now so if you see me on MH it will be me on.  My playtimes will vary though due to the joys of shift work & I miss the day's I could send my lot to bed at 8.  2 weeks outta of 3 reckon I will be on just after 10pm Mon-Thurs(little earlier sometimes), the wife ain't gonna love it to much but hey, time to test dem vows a little.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Remember you game play it on just the Wii-U gamepad if the missus wants the TV.#

*Edit* Sorry. Not til the patch in April.
  • Aaahhhh, forgot about the good old play on the pad trip.  Alas ref the wife, it will be more about the together time catching up on each other, tv & films once the tribe are all asleep rather than hogging the main box.  Tbh, she's pretty cool ref the blockbuster games & doesn't mind watching, she is almost as excited as I am ref Bioshock, almost. Though if MH grabs hold that may change.  The last game to nark her was DCUO, but hey I was mmorpg virgin, I didn't know how strong the pull would be & what I was getting into.
  • cindemon wrote:
    I really don't know why I keep ordering with Amazon. Gonna offline for a bit first, just to take a few shades of greenhorn off but really up for hooking up & party hunting ASAP. Eldest boy has his own account/ID now so if you see me on MH it will be me on.  My playtimes will vary though due to the joys of shift work & I miss the day's I could send my lot to bed at 8.  2 weeks outta of 3 reckon I will be on just after 10pm Mon-Thurs(little earlier sometimes), the wife ain't gonna love it to much but hey, time to test dem vows a little.

Similar to me, sounds good. 

I defy anyone to create a character that doesn't look like they're about to go dogging on Hampstead Heath. Feel like I'm about start some sort of S&M reenactment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!