PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    WiiU Launch Details

[img=422x500]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8314/7982897011_1a9a5f75d0.jpg[/img]

[url=http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/news/nintendo_direct_47764.html]Nintendo Europe Nintendo Direct[/url]
    Specs

2Gb memory - 1gb for system and 1gb for games
    Games store up to 25gb, and stream at 22.5mb, they are proprietary blu-ray discs, but the system won't play blu-rays.
    Full HD support at 720 and 1080p
    Nintendo TVii announced too
    Backwards compatible with Wii, sensor bars, and Wii Motion Plus controllers, as well as nunchuks. 
    You can transfer Wii games to Wii U
    MiiVerse built in, can jump to it within games as part of memory sharing

There are two editions of the WiiU available at launch, the basic and the premium. Europe also gets a Premium bundle packed with ZombiU

Prices are set by retailers, but it's roughly -

£250 for the basic

£320 for the premium

£350 for premium + ZombiU

You will be able to buy a nunchuk/controller/sensor bar pack, price not mentioned. They will also sell gamepads separate when games that support 2 come out. The XE comparison from Japan's Nintendo Direct put them at £107 (!)

Here's the differences between the two editions.
    Note that neither come with a Wii controller. 

Basic Edition
    White console and gamepad
    8GB memory
    2XAC adaptors (one for console, one for gamepad)
    HDMI cable

Premium Edition
    Black console and gamepad
    32GB Memory
    2xAC adaptors
    HDMI cable
    1xStand for gamepad
    1xCharging cradle for gamepad
    Copy of Nintendoland
    Access to a program allowing 'cashback *copyright Partridge*' worth about 10% on your E-Shop purchases until end of Dec 2014. Seems to suggest ALL Nintendo Network purchases (ie 3DS as well)

Launch Games - In shops

[i]New Super Mario Bros WiiU[/i]
    [i]NintendoLand[/i]
    [i]ZombiU[/i]
    [i]Rayman Origins[/i]
    [i]Call of Duty: Black Ops 2[/i][i]ifa 13[/i]
    [i]Mass Effect 3: Wii Edition[/i]
    [i]Family Party: 30 Great Games: Obstacle Arcade[/i]
    [i]Ben 10: Omniverse[/i]
    [i]Tank! Tank! Tank![/i]
    [i]Tekken Tag Tournament 2[/i]

Digital

[i]Trine 2: Special Edition[/i]
    [i]Toki Tori 2[/i]
    [i]Nano Assault Neo[/i]

Titles before end of 2012

[i]Batman Arkham City: Armoured Edition[/i]
    [i]Assassin's Creed 3[/i]
    [i]Scribblenauts Unlimited[/i]
    [i]Epic Mickey 2[/i]
    [i]Ninja Gaiden: Razor's Edge[/i]
    [i]Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper[/i]
    [i]Darksiders 2[/i]
    [i]Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed[/i]
    [i]LEGO City Undercover[/i]
    [i]NBA 2K13[/i]

Pikmin is 2013...

Friend Codes
    AndCallMeCharlie - [*no id mentioned]

Billy_Hologram - [*no id mentioned]
    Blue Swirl - BlueSwirl
    BobbyDanger - Bobbydanger

cindemon
    Curtis - CUR715

EvilRedEye - [*ordered]

hylian_elf - HylianElf

igorgetmeabrain

James - Enragedwhale
    JMW - jmichaelwood

Kernowgaz - Themagickman

Lurch666

mannaboy
    minkymu
    mistercrayon
    Moot_Geeza - CyberRazorCut

Nexx - [*no id mentioned]

optimark_prime - [*ordered]

pandajimmy - BennyProfane

random_dave - random_daveU
    regmcfly
    retroking1981

Skondo - skondo6
    Stopharage - [*ordered]

tin_robot - [*no id mentioned]

vicinity_of_pie - vicinity

wariospeedwagon
    wibblemonkey - Wibblemonkey
    WorKid - SimonJohnson78

yourfavouriteuncle - yourfaveuncle
  • I understood why the Wii could be a success.  I got the concept of the waggly-thing and I understood why some people might get on with that who wouldn't pick up a normal controller, and why it could introduce some interesting concepts to normal games.

However, the Wii U is what; a Wii without the controller, with a giant pad that you can use as a sort-of handheld if you have one TV and your girlie wants to watch Corrie.  You currently can't tie more than one controller to it, so there's no chance of revisiting Four Swords or Pac Man on the GameCube with 4 GBAs plugged into it.  

So I don't get it.  I got the DS, I got the Wii, I got the 3DS.  I knew which were for me and which weren't, but I don't get the Wii U.

SELL IT TO ME.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Has it been confirmed that you can't have more than one screen-pad at once? Any who, here's the things I've been feverishly dreaming about.

- Dragging and dropping items on each other to make potions in Monster Hunter/Resident Evil.
    - Holding the controller up to the screen to take pictures in Project Zero, or scan enemies/items in Metroid, or look for clues in Batman Arkham {Location}.
    - Having the motion tracker from Aliens in your hands when playing Colonial Marines (this has been confirmed!)
    - Pac Man VS! (You only needed one GBA for that, the three ghost players were on the TV.) ;)
    - Rather than having to stop the game whilst playing Bioshock, you'd solve the hacking puzzles on the pad while the game proper kept going on the TV (no more hanging in mid-air whilst Splicers patiently wait for you to finish).

In other news, Xenoblade is eating my life. Send help.

EDIT: Elm, you totally stole my signature! ;)
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    I'd guess no more than one tablet will be able to connect at a time, Ninty have become experts in doing stuff half arsed. Still given that my twins are just turning 9 I'll be picking up one at some point, wonder if it will upscale Wii games?
    Things can only get better.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I think they're trying to get it to work with two tablety controllers.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Costs are prohibitive on two tablets though surely? 

Last rumour I heard was that the nfc bit had been leaked in a demo trailer for Rayman. Going big on the skylanders style revenue boosting toys could be a canny move?  

GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I think Sega were planning on going down that line. I don't mind it depending on the IP used. I mean I might buy some Kid Icarus AR cards, so I can hardly moan about, say, buying special figures for Kid Icarus Wii U.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    There has been £50 rumours on a Wii U controller. Which isn't completely outrageous. 

It's a Wii. Watch the Rayman trailer - everyone is still waggling. I'm going to predict this thing will sell like bananas, but it won't be called a Wii U because that fucked the 3DS over. 
  • I'm quite interested to see what they show at E3.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I'm still in for some colourful HD games.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • Does anybody know if there is a way to unlock all characters and tracks on Mario kart wii quickly or with cheat codes? Checked google quickly but can't see anything.
  • Last I heard they were working on multi controller support. I imagine if they can get that to work, it'll happen, and it'll just get bundled with one, with extras available for a bit less than a wii fit board or summit. Personally, I'm looking forward to a ninty box that can actually play technically demanding games. The gamecube sat between the PS2 and XBox for power, and then the Wii just fell right behind.
    Hi Hosting - Fast and Reliable UK Web Hosting
    We host a number of bears and badgers, get in touch if want a website too!
  • I'm glad Nintendo are continuing to try something different. There's not much to differentiate the PS3 and the XBox and I suspect there are very few with both consoles (present company excepted, probably). That doesn't look likely to change, unless somehow Windows phones become very popular and they somehow manage to get an integrated experience.

With my Wii and XBox I've got a lot of things covered, I can play stuff with the kids and Nintendo classics on the Wii, and a bit more "hardcore" stuff on the XBox (Batman and COD and that).

Wii + HD + more power + better network integration = win in my book.

Has 3D been confirmed (or totally refuted) yet?

I suspect I'll be at a midnight launch somewhere when the Wii U comes out.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    WorKid said:

Wii + HD + more power + better network integration = win in my book.

Has 3D been confirmed (or totally refuted) yet?

I suspect I'll be at a midnight launch somewhere when the Wii U comes out.

Seems like you're pretty much on the same page as me. The Wii U will be a day one purchase for me, barring some ridiculous price point.

Regarding 3D... maybe.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    When the Wii U comes out I'm seriously considering getting a Wii.
  • Aren't they like £50 now anyway?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Probably, but there's nothing like new hardware for flooding the second hand market and driving down prices.
  • I fired up the ol' Gamecube this afternoon and had forgotten how tactile and clicky the controller is and how I like rotating the analogue sticks in their octagonal things making them all clacky and how I like running my index fingers over the smooth, rounded triggers whilst squidging them and making them click at the bottom and I rotate the sticks faster and faster and faster and squidge the triggers faster and faster and faster and my eyes widen more and more and more and I start drooling and snot bubbles pop from my nostrils and maniacal giggling turns into full on screaming and then the game's loaded and I go back to normal.
  • Haha! The only console to come with a build-in handle - to what purpose I am still unclear - but it all contributes to the GC's pudgy charms.
  • So you could look cool carrying around your playschool coloured cube in the hood 80s style? Loved the GC though. Brings back fond memories of res4, viewtiful joe, and the ninty classics. Not a scratch on the n64 though. Haven't even bought a Wii, tempted to get one now! Wish I'd got skyword sword limited edition when it was available. Just need 4 of them, gold plate/spray paint the wii gold, and you're set :D
    I'll probably just get a Wii U and then a load of Wii games as the launch line up might not be up to much.

Zelda on the Wii U will rock no doubt. I can imagine the second screen being put to great use, and the graphics could be amazing. Will be quite a wait though I imagine..
    Hi Hosting - Fast and Reliable UK Web Hosting
    We host a number of bears and badgers, get in touch if want a website too!
  • The circle pads gots to go. I can get over everything else but not that. Proper console needs proper sticks and that's final! 'Wii(L) U' all still buy one if that's not sorted before launch? (hohohohohoho)
    Ps4:MrSpock1980J     XBL-360: Jadgey      
    Things are looking up for my penis.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I totally hadn't noticed that they were circle pads rather than full-blown analogue sticks. Hmm.

I think the Wii U will still be a day one purchase for me. Stuff like the motion tracker in Colonial Marines being on the pad screen sounds like total win to me. Fingers crossed we get some better analogue sticks before then.

EDIT: I'll chuck you a friend request on my 3DS later.
  • Problem I see is that Nintendo are pushing the fact that it's as powerful as the 360 and Ps3 just as we get ready to launch to a new generation of more powerful hardware. This would've been fine 4/5 years ago but NOW? It needs to be MORE powerful than the current gen in order to compete.

Also Elm made a very valid point about Aliens and (I hope he doesn't mind me paraphrasing this on here) the whole tension thing between having your pulse rifle in two hands and having to lower it to bring up the motion tracker in one hand, rendering you vunerable to attack would be totally lost by being able to have it constantly at hand. 

Plus... Fuck Nintendo
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • So... Blockbuster have released a list of 25 Wii U games, some which have not been revealed in public yet.

Aliens: Colonial Marines
    Assassin’s Creed
    Batman: Arkham City
    Darksiders II
    Dirt 3
    Formula 1 All Stars
    Game Party
    Ghost Recon Online
    Just Dance 4
    Killer Freaks from Outer Space
    Marvel Super Heroes
    Metro: Last Light
    Monsters Party
    New Super Mario Brothers Wii
    Ninja Gaiden 3
    Pikmin
    Rabbids Party Land
    Raving Rabbids
    Rayman Legends
    Shield Pose
    Splinter Cell 5
    Sports Connection
    Tekken
    Your Shape 2013
    Zombie
  • Get ready for publishers being surprised that their ports of old 360 games don't sell.
  • Cheers swirl! Too much Ubi on that list. I was one of those suckers who bought Splinter cell on wii: an unplayable disaster. Shield pose? Game party? Your shape? Sport connection? Come on ninty!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Ubisoft doin dat launch day
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Where's the first party stuff? I thought they 'learned' from the 3DS launch...
  • If they preview a new proper mario or zelda (literally even if it's just a high def minute of gameplay footage) they'll get away with E3 and the hardcore ninty fans will probably grit their teeth through months of tweaked 360 ports (like I.R said).
  • HD Wind Waker probably.
  • Frosty wrote:
    HD Wind Waker probably.

Actually, that's not a bad idea. I'd go for some of that. Would look lovely in HD no doubt.

I can also see me getting Batman with it for whatever little gimmick they throw in, even though Ive played it to death on the 360.

I take it they mean AC 3, right?

Could 'Zombie' be resi 6 maybe?
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
‹ Previous1234567725

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!