Holidays
  • I was going to suggest Kyoto! Everyone I know who has been says it's great. Never made it that far myself. If you fancy a half-day trip out of the city, head to Kamakura. It's the monastery district, really nice area. It's a bit of a contrast to Asakusa, in central Tokyo. I found Asakusa to be a bit of a tourist trap, and didn't like how it felt a bit fake and over-crowded. Kamakura is touristy, but there seemed to be a lot more locals there. 

You could do that in the morning (probably best to bring a bite), have a walkabout, ogle the massive buddha, feed the friendly squirrels, then head back to Tokyo and head to a quality sushi/ramen bar. 

Since you might be away during the euros – if you're absolutely desperate to catch up on the footy, go to The Footnik. http://www.footnik.net/ Full of gaijin, as you'd expect, but also plenty of friendly locals. It's not far from Shinjuku, iirc, so there's plenty of other places to wander to. 

It's been 14 years since I was there, so there's not much in the way of restaurants, etc, I can recommend! Would love to go back, though. Tokyo is awesome.

I would like to go to Kyoto but everything I've read about it suggests that you really need a week to explore it properly.

I may try and visit Kamakura as I do have half a day spare if everything goes to plan and it would be nice to get a picture by the big Buddha.
  • "The Fat Badger."

nice

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Mod74 wrote:
    We need to sort a honeymoon. Have asked, if people want to, for holiday vouchers for wedding gifts so the plan is to see how much that generates and take it from there. A lot of people are saying Greece is cheap but maybe I'm being overly cautious but I don't fancy that plan much. Or a holiday in Greece, frankly. Would like to go Eastern Europe again but most of the places don't have the Euro so I'm not sure if it's bargain time or not. Certainly in Serbia they tied their exchange rate to the Euro so it probably is.

We're going to Greece (Santorini, specifically) for our honeymoon. As long as they don't shut down the airport or blow up Athens or whatever I'm expecting it to be fine. And it is bargain-tastic right now. We just booked for the first week of August; by now you'd expect places to be 90%+ full but almost everywhere is < 30% and there are serious reductions if you call and get a bit pushy. I got loads of things added to our package: sunset cruise, champagne, private balcony dinner, room upgrade, even 2-day car hire!
  • g.man wrote:
    "The Fat Badger." nice g.man

You're too late.  The moment has passed.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Past?
  • Stop living in the passed.
  • Heh, it worked and everything.
    Mod74 wrote:
    Past?

Oh let me put you out of your misery.
  • Got back from the Maldives a couple of days ago.  It was nice.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Jammy bugger.

Headin' down to London for a few days, primarily to attend the Field Day festival.  Where can I go in London during this 'Jubilee weekend' where I can guarantee not bumping into a load of flag waving loons?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Just got back from Barcelona (fuck me, it's far too hot there) via Brussles & Amsterdam.

Not been to Amsterdam since the '90's, seems to have got a lot more expensive, and even seedier if possible.

Brussels is great, bought as much beer as I could carry home at a quarter of the price it costs over here.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Pff, it's not "seedy" here. Expensive, yes, depends where you go though. 

My holiday's been pushed back to September, way too long a wait. Not even sure where we're going anymore, UK will probably be too rainy for a bike trip.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Do the Camino de Santiago by bike.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I actually meant a motor bike, but going towards Spain is probably how it's gonna end up. Last time we went in towards the French Pyrenees, Monaco etc, this might be a nice alternative route actually.

Plus I'm in desperate need of some proper tomatoes, chorizo and ham anyway.
  • Nina wrote:

Yeah, to be fair spent most of the time either near Centraal, the Heineken Music Hall or the Red-Light district so serves us right.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Wow, you've been very close to my work then. Mediamarkt, big electronics shop across the HMH. Not the RLD, just to make myself clear.
  • Nexx wrote:
    How long are you going for? Any chance of heading to places outside of Tokyo?
    Just 5 days. I'm planning to do a day trip to Nikko but don't think I really have the time to visit somewhere like Kyoto.
    Korea, you bastard.
    Maybe later in the year...

I was going to suggest Kyoto! Everyone I know who has been says it's great. Never made it that far myself. If you fancy a half-day trip out of the city, head to Kamakura. It's the monastery district, really nice area. It's a bit of a contrast to Asakusa, in central Tokyo. I found Asakusa to be a bit of a tourist trap, and didn't like how it felt a bit fake and over-crowded. Kamakura is touristy, but there seemed to be a lot more locals there. 

You could do that in the morning (probably best to bring a bite), have a walkabout, ogle the massive buddha, feed the friendly squirrels, then head back to Tokyo and head to a quality sushi/ramen bar. 

Since you might be away during the euros – if you're absolutely desperate to catch up on the footy, go to The Footnik. http://www.footnik.net/ Full of gaijin, as you'd expect, but also plenty of friendly locals. It's not far from Shinjuku, iirc, so there's plenty of other places to wander to. 

It's been 14 years since I was there, so there's not much in the way of restaurants, etc, I can recommend! Would love to go back, though. Tokyo is awesome.

Ok I haven't been to Kyoto but everyone I know who has been to both Tokyo and Kyoto swears by Kyoto too.
    Personally I didn't like Tokyo. Its possibly the least cosmopolitan city I have ever been to and definitely the least cosmopolitan in Asia I have been to and I have been to smaller less developed countries like Indonesia and Malaysia.
    And I don't just mean it because of the lack of English used but the lack of any cosmopolitan influence in general.
    Also if you are expecting a shiny, super efficient metropolis of the future with impeccably designed public systems and spaces think again! There is also little history left either. Yeh yeh the war bombing etc...
    People say Kyoto is the perfect picturesque mix of the old and new.
    Sounds like a total downer, you will undoubtedly be impressed but after travelling around a fair bit of Asia, other cities do it better and friendlier too.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Nina wrote:

My holiday's been pushed back to September, way too long a wait. Not even sure where we're going anymore, UK will probably be too rainy for a bike trip.

What's the dealio on foreigners and the wacky bars? Are owners really denying them access to the herb?
    There's is not much reason to go now specially if you aren't in the market for ladies of the night.

My friend wanted to go over for his 40th birthday this year, as he is married with one kid and one on the way I don't think he will be cruising the hookers.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    As far as I know you can get something to smoke everywhere that is above the rivers, for now. It's just in the Southern border city's that they're trying this "wietpas" a card that you can only get when Dutch and will allow you a little bit of weed in the shops. Probably plenty to be found on the streets, just not in a controlled environment.
    Not sure what the current state is, if there are still a lot of shop owners that are ignoring everything.

Amsterdam is still safe, for now.

Stupid idea, don't think street business is better that a few shops, but that's just imo.
  • I think his birthday is in November. Hopefully the restrictions won't spread by then.
    Thanks.
  • Nina wrote:
    Wow, you've been very close to my work then... Not the RLD, just to make myself clear.

Ha!

The HMH was alright actually, not bad for an arena type venue. Might have been your office me & a couple of mates walked round the back of for a sly smoke.
  • Right, I'm of to Brighton for the weekend.  Apparently it's in England somewhere.  If anyone's in England and fancies a pint give me a shout.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Greek tourism is apparently well down this year. Not sure what that means for mrs reg and I going to Athens in two weeks.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The locals will probably try and eat you.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Plus Athens is a dump.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    So is Glasgow.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It'll be like a home away from home so.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Better food tho.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The only good thing about Athens is the souflaki vendors that roam the streets at all hours of the night. And they're probably all dead by now.
  • At least you can understand people in Glasgow.
  • Hahaha, I'm just kidding, obviously.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!