The Linux geek thread
‹ Previous123456712
  • A thread for all things Linux!

So, what flava are you running, vm or otherwise? Tips and tricks?
    Do's and dont's?

Short tutorial for n00bies on how to get Linux up and running:

From disk:
    1. Get the latest linux iso from your favored Distro.
    e.g Ubuntu here or choose a different flavor here.
    You can choose between 32 bit or 64 bit iso's depending on your cpu.
    Once you've made your decision you can burn the iso to disk and load it as a bootable disk from startup. To do this hold esc while pc is booting up and select the drive from which to boot. Well it's usually esc, but the boot menu can vary from pc to pc. Experiment a bit to find the boot menu button or just google it if unsure. Select live cd to testdrive your distro.

Bootable usb
    2. Or......... you can create a bootable usb with Rufus.
    Load the preferred iso into Rufus and write it to an usb stick. You boot the usb stick in exactly the same way you do the dvd. Hold down the boot menu button (usually esc) and select the usb from which to boot.

VM:
    3. A third option is using a vm. In this case your running Linux inside another OS (Windows or MacOS)
    I usually mess around with Virtualbox. Just download the latest version and install it by following the instructions.  Once virtualbox is installed you can set up a vm by pointing it to your iso. If done correctly you can start the vm and you'll be able install and run linux in a window as if it were an app. An OS in an OS, pretty nifty.

edit;
    Thread now includes n00b tutorial to make thread more accessible and focussed.
    If you choose to do the above make sure you install linux next to your existing OS otherwise it will erase your entire OS. Backup your files for just in case shit.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Hi hunk.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • So, it's just me eh? I feel so alone....
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm a Linux geek for business, but not for pleasure. Love me a bit of vi/sed/grep/awk/posix, but only between the hours of 9 and 5.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    vim > emacs > vi
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • What's so good about it? Aside from penguin use.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    It's free.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • It's light, fast and free. In fact it's very fast
    They still need to sort out the user experience tho' (ubuntu).
    My printer didn't work out of the box. I had to google, download and install the proper libraries first and manually look for drivers online.
    Then I had to install them through terminal (command line). Not fun.......

But I can print and scan now, yay!
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I like the idea of Linux, but am not willing to learn my way around programming and command line stuff in order to use it.
  • And to think the situation was apparently worse a couple of years ago.
    All this shit actually makes me appreciate windows update even more....
  • Is there a Linux idiots can use yet?
  • Installed Ubuntu on my dad's laptop last weekend. He hasn't called for help yet which is a good sign.
  • He probably just can't get his email to work.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Doesn't use email. He plays the standard hearts/solitaire card games and goes to the PGA Tour, European Tour and Paddy Power sites.
  • OK, but what about Minecraft?
  • Haven't tried minecraft but it's there if you like that sort of thing.
    I did install steam and it runs great. The steam linux library is a bit thin now but it's growing, slowly but surely.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Humble Bundles are available for Linux too. I note that Linux users tend to be the most generous to HB, which is nice of them.
  • Well, they've not had to fork out for an OS.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Either that, or if you're skilled enough with computers to make Linux your OS of choice, you're likely to have a fairly well-paid job in tech.
  • Yeah, there's that too.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    It's a myth that you need mega skills, you just need to be prepared to deal with CLI, you might just might edit a script, let alone write one.

You can choose linux tomorrow. You just can't remember your first OS experience or the time it took to learn, file systems, networking, etc and also you're probably completely unaware that you've transferred most of that knowledge across multiple OSs.

Grow a pair, kick up a VM.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I barely have enough space left on my MacBook HD to save documents, let alone start installing spare OSes.
  • Linux' main strength is also it's weakness. It's extremely modular and customisable, you only install the libraries you need. That's why it's so zippy and light. You manage your ppa's manually deciding what does and doesn't get installed on your os.

On the other hand, when you're missing certain libs and drivers, hunting them down with google and installing them through cli can be a pain in the ass. Windows/osx update automates that process for you for a reason....
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    beano wrote:
    vim > emacs > vi

Fuck that shit. Nano all the way. Yeah it's easy!

Yossarian wrote:
    I barely have enough space left on my MacBook HD to save documents, let alone start installing spare OSes.

You're effectively already are using a *nix system. The commands are mostly the same.

I have a dual boot system but I spend most my time on Windows, because it's undoubtedly better for multimedia (will be for some time to come by the looks of things). But I spend a lot of time using shell commands, because I have a Mac at work, a *nix server for hobbyist crap, and use a Linux CLI emulator on my PC because... Why not.

If I had a Mac, I probably wouldn't dual boot. As someone who uses open source a fair bit though, I do appreciate Windows (say wwhhhhaaaaat? - ok... The big open source project maintainers work hard to support Windows... That's a good enough reason). If I was running a devco though (yeah...), I'd want most of the boxes running Linux, but if I was hiring an artist, I'd offer them a choice...

But then this is a gaming forum...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Yup, a *nix terminal is also buried somewhere in osx.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    My life, MacOS doesn't have a kb shortcut for a terminal window.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I know, but I've no idea how to use the Terminal in OSX. I wouldn't mind learning.

Edit: Dyno/Hunk.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    beano wrote:
    My life, MacOS doesn't have a kb shortcut for a terminal window.

Just had a look, it's actually got several (New Terminal at Folder, New Terminal Tab at Folder, Open man [sic, ?] Page at Terminal, Search man Pages in Terminal) they just need to be turned on in the System Preferences.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    I know, but I've no idea how to use the Terminal in OSX. I wouldn't mind learning. Edit: Dyno/Hunk.

Tbf, you need a reason for it. If you're running Linux itself, just switching the PC on and off will provide you with a good enough frikkin' reason to use the console...

On Mac though, the UI is too sanitary to actually want to use the CLI for anything but work, but for a minor taste of it, open a Mac console, type - 'ps aux' (without the single quotes) - and press enter... You should see a list of every single thing running on your Mac at that moment.

Granted, there's a Mac application for that (and tbh, it's far easier to use), but it's sort of cool to get a low level look at what the machine's doing. :]
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Man pages are manuals, usually opened in a text editor call vi...

Yeah I'm talking about a baked in kb shortcut, it doesn't matter, just I could've sworn macbooks of lore had them.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    They're baked in, they're just disabled by default. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean by 'baked in'.
‹ Previous123456712

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!