Just given up on...
‹ Previous123456761
  • Couldn't find a thread here at B&B.

I think I've finally had enough of GRID after playing it for many, many years online.
  • Thought GRID servers had been abandoned long ago? Or did it go to P2P?

Given up on the new SSX and MAG now. SSX because, for all the good reviews and my love of the series on PS2, this was a pale shadow of the likes of Tricky and 3. Far too many random deaths, stupid design additions and the deadly descents were, in a word, pish. Take away all the unnecessary gimmicks and unfair deaths and actually apply some skill to the pulling off of larger tricks, which is the risk and reward that made the originals so damned good and which the new game completely dumbed down, and I might buy it again, but I've given up in disgust. 

As for MAG. Just couldn't get a decent big game of it recently. Seems that the PS3 world, en masse, has deserted it. And I was never its greatest fan to start with. The maps felt too restrictive and contrived. I'll stick to BF2 and 3 for my shooty action.
  • Nope GRID servers still running on 360 as far as I can tell.
  • I think GRID was P2P on the 360, nothing to switch off as such.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Ali, I cottoned on to how shite SSX was after about three hours, what took you so long? Don't get me started on MAG by the way.
  • I'm amazed you've lasted this long M. Infuriating online due to the cretins that it attracted. I think I gave up on it after the first few weeks as an mp concern which was a shame as it is a decent racer.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Yeah it is full of arseholes online mate. I have tried to get into stuff like Forza on multiplayer but I don't ever get to finish races as everyone leaves me for dead even though I corner well and don't do anything wrong to slow me down - one of my mates says its because I play with auto gears but I dunno.

PGR was my fave racer online but the lobbies are dead these days so GRID was the only other option for sonething a little less serious but not too wacky I.e. Blur.
  • I recently chucked in the towel with Catherine.

The story was fairly interesting and I enjoyed all the character progression in the bar but my brain is just not wired to deal with puzzles like that, especially not at speed.

The final straw was after 2 hours of play (and admittedly my fault in not saving) I used all 14 continues on a stage and game over appeared.

Fuck you bitch, we're through.
    Live & PSN (Vita only) - MattTheSurveyor
  • I've more or less given up on online multiplayer full stop.  Can't be doing with it all these days.
  • Matt_82 wrote:
    I've more or less given up on online multiplayer full stop.  Can't be doing with it all these days.

I'm largely the same. I have loads of SP stuff that I struggle to find the time for, MP just feels like a bit of a waste of time in comparison.
  • Yeah I hardly play any MP. If I do, it's short bursts of BF3.
  • Matt_82 wrote:
    I've more or less given up on online multiplayer full stop.  Can't be doing with it all these days.

Yep indeedy. I think this is the reason I've stuck with COD games. I've a decent enough skill level and I know how the game works so the learning curve that usually plagues me with other new multiplayer is done with.

There's still plenty of great Singleplayer games out there and long may that continue.
    SFV - reddave360
  • online racing games just never seem to work.  i only ever seem to come across people who seem determined just ruin the race for everyone deliberately, or those who get rather abusive if anyone actually tries to race them.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Surveyor wrote:
    I recently chucked in the towel with Catherine. The story was fairly interesting and I enjoyed all the character progression in the bar but my brain is just not wired to deal with puzzles like that, especially not at speed. The final straw was after 2 hours of play (and admittedly my fault in not saving) I used all 14 continues on a stage and game over appeared. Fuck you bitch, we're through.

Might be worth watching the plot develop on youtube at least if you liked that. iirc there's about 7 different endings depending on how much of a playa you are.

Did you try Rapunzel? You'd have stopped even sooner if you did.
  • online racing games just never seem to work.  i only ever seem to come across people who seem determined just ruin the race for everyone deliberately, or those who get rather abusive if anyone actually tries to race them.

Annoying isn't it. Racers just seem to be bash fests.

360? Try sticking to forum games. Most of the 'magazine that shall not be named' forum Forza people are thoroughly good chaps online. Haven't played a racer online since B&B's inception, so I don't know what the community is like. I must admit that when I have played racers (Forza, GT5, PGR4, Blur) with randoms the track seems to be littered with arseholes.

Mind you, maybe everyone else is fine and I'm the arsehole.....

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Awww I liked Catherine.
  • i think it's just a fundamental problem with racing games and being online.  as a sport it relies on incredible reflexes, accuracy and awareness of people around you...in an online environment, even with drivers with the best intentions, braking or turning a split second different to an opponent around you invariably can lead to a collision, going off track, and being out of the race even if you're not damaged...cue name calling and aggro etc.
    obviously this is alleviated a bit if you play in a group of 'friends' as you can trust that it wasn't deliberate, but it's still there.

anyway, back on topic...i've currently given up on nearly all my games...watching euro 2012 has kept me dipping back in to FIFA12 for a game or two of 'clubs', other than that the pile of games waiting to be played is becoming so ominous that i just avoid it!
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I think the reason that the likes of Blur and Motorstorm: Pacific Rift work so well on-line is that smashing into each other and being a dick is an accepted part of the game. Getting a group together with enough ability to avoid crashing in the likes of Forza is possible, but it's pretty rare.
  • Gears of War 3 multiplayer. Actually just took the disk out of my 360, snapped it in half and threw it in the bin, first time I've ever done that. I know Gears is said to have the worst netcode of any multiplayer shooter but it's hard to believe just how bad it can be at times. The lag, sponging and general Gears bullshit that everyone who plays the game has to accept has finally pushed me over the edge. Nice 1 Cliffy!!
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I reckon the net code of this generation's shooters has taken a backward step since last gen. The first shooter I played online was Halo 2, and while that still had lag, it would lag for everyone in the game so it was pretty even. 

Now I'm playing Battlefield 3 and every time I pull the trigger I wonder what calculation is being used to mask the lag between what I'm seeing and what's actually happening. I miss the days when I would line up someone's head in my sights, pull the trigger and I'd be rewarded with a headshot.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    MoesTavern wrote:
    Gears of War 3 multiplayer. Actually just took the disk out of my 360, snapped it in half and threw it in the bin, first time I've ever done that. I know Gears is said to have the worst netcode of any multiplayer shooter but it's hard to believe just how bad it can be at times. The lag, sponging and general Gears bullshit that everyone who plays the game has to accept has finally pushed me over the edge. Nice 1 Cliffy!!

Wow. I've fractured my right foot, broken controllers and damaged my thumb getting angry at games before but i've never done that.

Edit: Oh and ripped the wires out of mice and snapped a keyboard in half.
  • I think the sheer number of players and the variation of connection speeds now wpnt help.

Its a fair assumption that most people who had live on the og xbox had the best connection they could get, which for the most was between 2 and 10 mb.

Now you are looking at catering for people who arent as 'hardcore' with as low as 1mb and those of us lucky enough to be able to get 40+mb connection.

• Bollockoff wrote:
    Gears of War 3 multiplayer. Actually just took the disk out of my 360, snapped it in half and threw it in the bin, first time I've ever done that. I know Gears is said to have the worst netcode of any multiplayer shooter but it's hard to believe just how bad it can be at times. The lag, sponging and general Gears bullshit that everyone who plays the game has to accept has finally pushed me over the edge. Nice 1 Cliffy!!
    Wow. I've fractured my right foot, broken controllers and damaged my thumb getting angry at games before but i've never done that. Edit: Oh and ripped the wires out of mice and snapped a keyboard in half.

Stuff like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjKCFjHz0iY&feature=relmfu
    will drive you over the edge.
    I think the frustration factor in Gears is multiplied by the fact that only the hardcore players are still playing it, everyone else has given up. So even when it does work properly you're getting merked left right and centre.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Gears of War 3 multiplayer. Actually just took the disk out of my 360, snapped it in half and threw it in the bin, first time I've ever done that.
    Wow. I've fractured my right foot, broken controllers and damaged my thumb getting angry at games before but i've never done that.
    I'm pretty sure no amount of snapped discs will ever, ever equate to throwing such a hissy-fit you broke your own foot.  Ever.
  • I dunno, if I'm playing whilst sitting in a chair, especially on PC games where I lean forward a lot, if something fucks up I usually do an involuntary stamp. at work that is replaced by exasperated grasping of my glasses for some reason. involuntary reactions be wierd yo.
  • MoesTavern wrote:
    Bollockoff wrote:
    Wow. I've fractured my right foot, broken controllers and damaged my thumb getting angry at games before but i've never done that. Edit: Oh and ripped the wires out of mice and snapped a keyboard in half.
    Stuff like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjKCFjHz0iY&feature=relmfu will drive you over the edge. I think the frustration factor in Gears is multiplied by the fact that only the hardcore players are still playing it, everyone else has given up. So even when it does work properly you're getting merked left right and centre.

Yeah that sort of shit is why I don't really play it anymore.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Ico
    Lollipop Chainsaw
    Dragon's Dogma
    Street Fighter

And I've just bought God Hand which I'm sure to have given up on by tomorrow. Not feeling gaming right now, it's really odd to be stuck for things to do.
  • You've given up on some games. I've (almost) given up on gaming. No time. 

Still. I'm sure I'll find time for the absolute essentials. Like... Erm.... Yeah. Whenever one comes round.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Bought Saints Row 1 & 2 v.cheap recently - figured they must be ok if they are still making sequels

Gave up on the first one after an hour and the second is back in the drawer unopened
  • Nick wrote:
    Ico
    Lollipop Chainsaw
    Dragon's Dogma
    Street Fighter

And I've just bought God Hand which I'm sure to have given up on by tomorrow. Not feeling gaming right now, it's really odd to be stuck for things to do.

Dude! God Hand is amazing. I have shelved DD too, dunno why.
‹ Previous123456761

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!