DOOM - Hurt me plenty!
‹ Previous123456753
  • A place for us to discuss past, present and future games in the Doom series.
    Logo_doom.png

DOOM 4 Teaser Trailer E32014
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Doom is one of my all time favourite first person shooters so I thought it only right we have a thread to this legendary series.

I started Doom 3 this evening on PS3, really enjoyed the first few hours. Passed me by on its original release because of my PC of the time not quite being up to the task.

Anyone else played 3?

Any good memories of the series in general?

Looking forward to the reboot?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Never liked original Doom and never played any subsequent ones. What am I missing?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • The best game.
  • The level design on the first two are good and it's still a fun game. The genre has moved on quite a bit in the last couple of decades tho.

Still haven't played Doom3.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Had the excellent PS1 version with the first 2 games on it. Really was the best FPS for a good number of years, even after the genre became more sophisticated.
  • Aye great game, and that D1 level 1 music, shuweeeet.

Used to go round to a mates house to play it as a kid. Can't imagine controlling fps with arrow keys and ctrl now.

Same mate's mum wouldn't let him play street fighter 'cause it was too violent. Strange.

I enjoyed Doom 64 also, but nothing (doom-wise) compares to the first two games. Both awesome. We used to play D2 on the PCs in the school IT room, that and Warcraft. Ahh, nostalgia.

Still, doesn't top Blood as my fave old-time fps, which has a steam release now I think.
  • As much as the FPS has moved on since Doom, I don't think anything has quite matched the simple fun of that original game.

Doom 3 was brilliant though, creating something that felt faithful to its roots but moving in a different direction and doing a fantastic job of it. Honestly don't know why the new game is rebooting the series, especially as I'm hearing that it's focusing on melee combat/finishers. Very strange design choice, but I guess we'll see once the recent footage is shown to the rest of the world.
  • After playing Rage I'm not holding my breath for anything by id.
  • The only Doom games I've owned are Doom II (copied) for a PC that couldn't quite run it, and the famously gimped 32X version. For all the negativity surrounding the Sega port, with its sizable borders, only-facing-one-way enemies and no BFG without a 6-button pad (or specifically, without a mode button for the cheat code), it was close to the best thing ever for me at the time.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    IanHamlett wrote:
    After playing Rage I'm not holding my breath for anything by id.

Rage is great, a proper old school, corridor shooter.
  • I played it all the way thru but didn't see any greatness. It wasn't completely empty of enjoyment but I could have spent that time with a better game. Fighting thru each level forwards and backwards was weak.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    The only Doom games I've owned are Doom II (copied) for a PC that couldn't quite run it, and the famously gimped 32X version. For all the negativity surrounding the Sega port, with its sizable borders, only-facing-one-way enemies and no BFG without a 6-button pad (or specifically, without a mode button for the cheat code), it was close to the best thing ever for me at the time.

Ha, I'd forgotten about the similarly gimped snes version even though I owned it. Loved it at the time.

• IanHamlett wrote:
    After playing Rage I'm not holding my breath for anything by id.

Rage is great, a proper old school, corridor shooter.

Unrelated segue: Saturn Doom is the worst Doom. Ported by Rage during the laziest brainfart ever.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Make sure you install the Hello Kitty torch mod before playing Doom 3.

Ultimately, Duke Nukem 3D is a better Doom than Doom.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Doom 2 on the PC with a sound card is one of my personal gaming highlights. The sound of the arachnatrons getting closer knocked my socks off. I haven't truly enjoyed an FPS since.

Apart from Doom64 that is. It was out of date when it was released - Goldeneye had changed the game - but I still loved it. That version is still worth a look - I believe there's a PC remake of it.

I have Doom3 BFG edition for 360 but haven't really delved too deep.

Brutal Doom is a magnificent mod for the original game - well worth a look.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Thing that elevated and still keeps Doom and sequel up there is that the level design tends not to be terrifically linear. I wish more contemporary shooters got back on board with mazecraft, because it is ace.
  • I got Doom 3 on release when I was deep into PC gaming. I thought the torch mechanic was awful, played it for about an hour before going back to CS.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    The "duct tape" fan mod came out hours after release that stuck it on whatever weapon you had up. Was pretty essential.
  • Didn't enemies spawn behind you at times? I'm getting painful flashbacks. Anyway, it came out a few months before Half-Life 2 and was quickly forgotten.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    The first couple of hours involve enemies breaking through windows, out of vents and generally doing dynamic entries that felt realistic. About the halfway point every enemy just starts teleporting into the room with you once you get to the opposite end.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Thing that elevated and still keeps Doom and sequel up there is that the level design tends not to be terrifically linear. I wish more contemporary shooters got back on board with mazecraft, because it is ace.
    Zooming out to find the level is some kind of satanic symbol was always a treat.

That point in each level where you realise you can't sweep it out neatly was always good. "Two doors. I'll clear that one and come back here once I'm done. Alright, there are two more doors. And two more. All the corridors are curved so my sense of direction is fucked. Ah fuck. Now there are monsters everywhere."
  • I got Doom on XBLA hoping to put cheats on and just have fun with it.

It's possibly the only version of Doom with no cheats.

:(
  • Snes had no cheats either. Gutted. Was searching mags for ages.
  • 32X version had cheats, but you needed the almost useless mode button (think it only necessary for three or four other games). That was the only button I hadn't managed to repair after swinging it against a wall playing SFII a couple of years earlier, so I never got to use that gun as it wasn't collectible during the standard levels.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Doom 64 sported a new weapon - a laser made of skulls that you power up by finding 3 or 4 special keys. Those same keys can be used in the final level to close the doors that prevents streams of enemies from entering the room - giving you half a chance against the boss. (all levels are new - as is the boss)

No mid level save though. 

It does have a cheat menu that also gives access to a handful of what are called "fun" levels that are insane. They are actually levels 25,26 and 27 that are skipped over in the main game. The cheat menu is accessible via a password or by shooting all the barrels in level 1 , leaving the first barrel in the level to the end, which opens a door at the start of the level. This leads to the 4th secret level (secret levels are 29-32 - you find the laser powerups in 29-31 as far as I remember) called Hectic. Beat that to activate the menu. The password is easier.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Ah shit I remember that! One of the secret doors had a load of cyberdemons or something on pillars if I remember correctly. Pretty tough. I also liked the incidental and ambient SFX in that, children crying, moans of pain etc. Game was good.

I don't think snes Doom had any save at all, had to clear the game in a single run if you wanted to see the credits.
  • Ah, those were the days. Similar excitement with Duke 3D having slopes.
  • I'm surprised more indie developers haven't made Doom-likes. It's a market that's ripe for the taking, especially when you think of how many Doom fans there are - hell, look at the popularity of the Brutal Doom mod!
  • There's got to be a market for one stick FPSs.
‹ Previous123456753

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!